Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Redlion wrote: »
    To be honest, I hate giving fare to taxi drivers when I can avoid it.
    Amen.

Even when someone else is paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

took me 2 weeks to read all of this, the best thread i've read on this site !!!
    keep 'em comin!

a lad i used to get a lift to work with was a mechanic and had use of the garage car during the week, he'd lose the use of the car if a customer came in and needed a courtesty car. he was afraid of his life he'd end up putting too much petrol in it that he wouldn't use so he often stopped to put €2 or €3 into the car !!!

a couple of times he ran out of juice in the middle of nowhere.

delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Went out for tapas with some friends and a few of the visiting students came with us. They said they'd already eaten that day and just ordered a couple jugs of sangria between them, which was fair enough. Except then the bill arrived, there was service charge that worked out at €1 extra each. They wouldn't put in the euro! We kept asking them but they kept pretending to be busy getting their coats on or acting as if they hadn't heard us. Eventually, one of them paid for them all because his friends wouldn't cough up.

I know they didn't order food, but the waiter still had to bring their jugs of sangria and clean up after us. One euro! ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭zxcvbnm12

a friend of mine rang me this mornin to go for breakfast so i said ok.anyway we pulled up outside the cafe and he said he had no cash so i said to come on and ill pay for it.then this evenin we had a few pints in our local and he was buyin 3 tickets for the local gaa lotto.he just was after buyin a pint and had one euro change.he asked me had i 4 euro and he wud give it back to me cos he had no change.i wont be seeing that any day soon!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Am i the only one reading all these stories in a really thick country accent???

if you cut me in half you'd see 'dub' much like a stick of rock!

stingy - is me purchasing a large sponge cake - offering the folks a sliver and scoffing the rest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

They said they'd already eaten that day and just ordered a couple jugs of sangria between them, which was fair enough.
    We kept asking them but they kept pretending to be busy getting their coats on or acting as if they hadn't heard us. .

I know they didn't order food, but one euro! ffs.
    I think your the scabby one here, tapas are poxy for serving staff, cause there's so many little bowls for them to bring out and clean up after.

as you said, "only €1 ffs",

How many times did you try and scab it off the students?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

zxcvbnm12 wrote: »
    a friend of mine rang me this mornin to go for breakfast so i said ok.anyway we pulled up outside the cafe and he said he had no cash so i said to come on and ill pay for it.then this evenin we had a few pints in our local and he was buyin 3 tickets for the local gaa lotto.he just was after buyin a pint and had one euro change.he asked me had i 4 euro and he wud give it back to me cos he had no change.i wont be seeing that any day soon!!!

the fcuk? I duno, I'd be there asking 'what did you ring me for if you have no cash'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

bluewolf wrote: »
    the fcuk? I duno, I'd be there asking 'what did you ring me for if you have no cash'
    Yeah, or "come on in, I'll buy you a cup of tea".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Was out one night with a now ex and his aunt and uncle. Ex consistently shirked his round and then at the end of the night I went to the toilet and his aunt said she needed to go as well. We got back to the two men having a drink. When I asked where ours were the ex replied the bar was closing. I said 'what, so they only gave you half your order?' and told him to get his stingy arse up to the bar.

God, he was so damn tight. We split up later that night after one almighty row.

Just remembered another one.... was the same guy as above but months earlier...

Our birthdays were really close together, as in a matter of days. For his birthday he said he would like a digital camera. I said OK, have a look around and let me know if you find one you like. Now, this was about 5 years ago, so I can't remember exactly, but I think the one he picked was 250e. So I got it for him. A few days later we were out shopping and it came up what would I like for my b'day. I said I'd like a little mini stereo for the kitchen.

So off he goes to an electronics store and then comes and finds me a little bit later. He takes me into the shop and says 'OK, what do you think of this one or this one?'. He only gave me the choice of two because the next one in line was more expensive than I had paid for the camera.

God, I cringe so much that I was ever with somone like that. You live and learn. God help whoever ends up with him. Stinge City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Nevore wrote: »
    Yeah, or "come on in, I'll buy you a cup of tea".

Or "Sure we'll find a parking space over there... Near that cash machine."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

peatcass wrote: »
    I think your the scabby one here, tapas are poxy for serving staff, cause there's so many little bowls for them to bring out and clean up after.

as you said, "only €1 ffs",

How many times did you try and scab it off the students?

I'm a student too, they were a bunch of Erasmus students. We got one bowl each, they got two or three jugs of sangria. They were also sitting at the table, using the glasses, getting the waiters to bring them stuff etc. Yeah it's only €1 each, but when there's a whole group who won't pay up, it adds up! Why should someone else have pay an extra tenner cause they wouldn't cough up?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Redlion wrote: »
    To be honest, I hate giving fare to taxi drivers when I can avoid it. In my opinion, I'd call it laziness on your part for not just walking from Wexford Street to Pearse Street. Sure, it's only a 10/15 minute walk. Now unless it was raining or your leg just managed to fall off, then a taxi is right.

Could not agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭danslevent

I think what some of the people on this trade call stingy is really just economical, like the not paying for drinks when they got tap water or walking instead of getting a taxi. Some people aren't doing those things to be stingy, they just might not have the extra cash on nights out for those luxuries. I would consider stingy more so when people begrudge others or something, not when they are just trying to save cash because they have to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Here's proper stingey for you, my mother after recently retiring has started to work in a St Vincent D'Paul shop where clothes can be ranging from 1 to 7euro and one particular woman comes in and buys clothes in bulk and tries to bargain down prices and then is known to sell the clothes for a large profit in a market. This is a non profit shop which gives all profits to charity.
    Even worse are the people who come in to shop lift!! How low can you get? Shop lifting in SVP!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

Guy I know is stupidly wealthy. Although he claims not to be, his dad brought home 4 iPads one day, just cause he could. The same guy won't pay the adult fair on the train and got caught a while ago by the inspector. He turns around the next day saying he's appealing the case ! On the grounds that he doesn't have enough money to give to the "stingy government"

When I was in first year there was this kid that used to stand outside the shop at lunch time and ask for peoples receipts. He'd take their receipts and go pick up everything that the previous person had bought and then walk out with the stuff in his hand. Anytime the security guard caught him, he would show him the receipt ! Cheeky but clever haha

Another mate of mine who is also loaded btw -_- invited me to hang out in his house. We were playing Xbox whatever but his family has an awful habit of keeping everylight in the house on and the heating on FULL BLAST. I was roasting and he asked me if I wanted a drink. Of course being parched I said yes. He comes back in with an ice cold glass of coke for himself and a warm glass of tap water for me! I was disgusted hahahaha The same friend raids my cupboards when hes in my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Myself and a housemate found this in the (other) stingy guys room. He has started cutting shampoo bottles and toothpaste in half to get the last bit out of them. His room hasn't had a lightbulb for months now...:pac:

He eats our food, too stingy to buy his own PC so waits for us to leave our laptops unattended... Uses my en suite shower and only recently discovered he sleeps in my bed when I'm away at weekends because I've a large clean double bed.

Needless to say I'm moving out... Check the attached.. What we just found in his room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

His house mates are creeping around his room when he's not there and you're the one moving out? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

His house mates are creeping around his room when he's not there and you're the one moving out? :P
    Forgot to mention that I found it when going in to take my pillow back, because he takes it when I'm not there.. (currently uses a spare duvet as a pillow) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭safetymanager

I had a housemate who wouldn't come to Weightwatchers with the rest of us cos it costs 10 euro each time. So............... she stayed at home then used our info, literature etc. and ate the meals we cooked according to the WW recipes and lost as much weight as the rest of us. How mean is that !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tippboi

work in a petrol station and a women came in to pay for her petrol. she was 1c over and i dont make the point in asking for the 1c unless they give it to me. anyways she insisted so i said if you have it handy. she gave me 2c and i just thought it was 1c so i put it in the till without looking. she was standing there looking at me and i just said thanks( was wondering why she was standing there) she told me she gave me 2c and wanted her 1c change.. stingy bitch or what..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tippboi

Sykk wrote: »
    Myself and a housemate found this in the (other) stingy guys room. He has started cutting shampoo bottles and toothpaste in half to get the last bit out of them. His room hasn't had a lightbulb for months now...:pac:

He eats our food, too stingy to buy his own PC so waits for us to leave our laptops unattended... Uses my en suite shower and only recently discovered he sleeps in my bed when I'm away at weekends because I've a large clean double bed.

Needless to say I'm moving out... Check the attached.. What we just found in his room :pac:

i also cut toothpaste in half 2 get it all out.. I am a student however so every cent counts.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Vizzy

tippboi wrote: »
    i also cut toothpaste in half 2 get it all out.. I am a student however so every cent counts.. :)

Is that why you were tryin to keep the 1c on the woman in the petrol station ?:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

No. Minding money as a student starts at th €1 mark, not the 1c mark. You sir, are stingy.

*Gets cattle brander out *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gourami

I know of a guy who's so stingy that when the elastic goes on his y fronts instead of buying a new pair he threads a belt through the holes to keep them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

People bringing doggy bags into restaurants is particularly stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

work in a petrol station and a women came in to pay for her petrol. she was 1c over and i dont make the point in asking for the 1c unless they give it to me. anyways she insisted so i said if you have it handy. she gave me 2c and i just thought it was 1c so i put it in the till without looking. she was standing there looking at me and i just said thanks( was wondering why she was standing there) she told me she gave me 2c and wanted her 1c change.. stingy bitch or what..

Had this too - was doing deliveries for a take away and the food came to €11.98 - he hands me 12 euro so i started walking off, he then call me asking for his change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

to be fair its just prudent to cut the toothpaste and the like in half to be sure you get as much as possible cos you never get it all otherwise and you DID pay for it all. my granny has always done this with any tubes and bottles.

as for change - well, 1c isnt much but its also the principle of the thing. if you paid 11.98 then you dont fancy paying 2 cent you dont have to. if you did that all the time itd all add up as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Ally Dick wrote: »

I wouldn't find that stingy at all. You pay 30 or 40 euro for a meal, its your food, you have every right to bring home what you dont eat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Ally Dick wrote: »

In the states you'll see nearly everyone walk out with the rest of their dinners in boxes

Its going in the bin if you dont bring it home, and you can eat it in bed!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement