Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweets that just weren't nice.

• 19-12-2006 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Archeron

Was remembering some of the sweets from yesteryear, and my memory is filled with many of them that just simply werent nice, for a multitude of different reasons.

Chalk letters. These things used to come in a little square box, and I think everybody used to buy them just so they could write "poo" out of sweets. I reckon they were made of ear wax and chalk dust.

Time bars. I lost at least 5 teeth to these beasts. They were nice, but they were dangerous.

Desperate dan bars. What the heck were those little lumps of coal in the middle of them? It was like eating burnt glass.

Aluminium balls. remember these things? Little silver balls that you buy a handful for about a penny. I think they were banned after somebody copped on that they were actually made of aluminium and that that might not be good for you. :)

Eating paper. Why did anybody want to eat paper and pay for the privilege?

Lucky lollies. These things tasted awful, but I think everybody bought them because if you got a number 5 in your wrapper, you won......yes, another lolly. (This explains my Lotto addiction)

Gobstoppers. Many the times I seen people try to suck gobstoppers that were bigger than their own head. Usually, they were so adamant to finish it that they wouldnt be able to speak again for nearly a year.

Why in the name of all thats holy did we eat this rubbish? I suppose for me, when I was a kiddie, chocolate bars (proper ones like Mars and Marathon and so on) were always out of my price range, so you just spent you 20p on an assortment of rubbish like that above. You have any that you remember that you now wonder why you bothered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

Why in the name of all thats holy did we eat this rubbish? I suppose for me, when I was a kiddie, chocolate bars (proper ones like Mars and Marathon and so on) were always out of my price range
    thats exactly it. you could buy so much stuff with yuor 20p
    Desperate dan bars. What the heck were those little lumps of coal in the middle of them? It was like eating burnt glass.
    i would have to disagree with you there. they were the best ever. that and the likes of wham bars and cola bars where you would chew for hours.

also do ye remember the chewing gum that was around. you had wrigleys spermint, gold balls and the little pack of pebbles that you could get brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Chalk like ciggerates - Same as the chalk letters

Chocolate ciggerates - Not only looked like sh!t, they tasted like it too.

Touchdown bars - I thought you said there was supposed to be chocolate in the centre ? Where the **** is it then ? This is just two big bloody wafers.

Sparkles/Sparklers ice lollys - Watered to hell ice lolly

Golfballs chewing gum - Horrible, tasted like mint flavoured wallpaper. Flavour lasted all of two seconds.

Rainblo(w) chewing gum - See above

Rainbow Drops - Colored rice, dry as a nuns gee and about as nasty.

Some unknown jellys, they were small, red, cost got about 5 for 1p, and tasted spicy ? Spicy jellys WTF like ?

Reason for eating this crap, more for your money, even if they did taste like ass.

Also desperate dan bars were and still are, lurvely .... but sooo bad for your teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Stinger bars/wham bars/desperate dan bars...all poison from the same tree really :)

Time bars, I really liked but yes, I too lost milk teeth to them.

I actually really liked the taste of chalk letters.

What about those girlie bracelet/necklace sweet things? You know, different coloured beads of chalk or chalk like sugar substance :) They were my guilty pleasure but as a boy you couldn't be seen buying or eating them...unless you had robbed them from a girl :D

Chocolate cigarettes...now they really did taste awful :puke:

EDIT: oops, I meant BIG Time bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Parma violets....ugggghhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lycris - plain and simple. Disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If you had a loose tooth a Wham bar would finish the job for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 missgiggles

I didn't like "flying saucers" the wafer things with fizz in them.

Wasn't a big fan of sweet cigarettes or those edable watches/necklaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

does anyone know if the paper on the chocolate cigarettes is edible?
    Many a schoolyard debate on that.

We always just ate it in the end coz it was too much effort to peel off and it tasted better than the chocolate!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I used to hate those Licerous (sp?) sweets. And those Turkish Delights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

'Chocolate flavour' mice. Whatever they were made out of, it wasn't anyhting like real chocolate and it was disgusting. Same goes for those buttons with tiny coloured bits (hundreds and thousands?) on them. And anything at all made out of liquorice - does anyone actually like the taste of it?

• Advertisement

I never really liked Roy of the Rovers bars, were just too bitter for my liking. Still didn't stop me buying loads of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

Turkish Delight=sugar-sweetened vomit. In gel form.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It really is not a good sign when you realize you've eaten absolutely everything on this list and more. What the hell. Where were my parents? No wonder i have dodgy insides! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

can someone remind me what Time bars were? The name sounds familiar but I can't picture them...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

smallpaws wrote:
    God they were rotten! Licquurice is another sweet I can't stomach.

Dunno if these can be classed as sweets, but Victory V's were absolutely dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

smallpaws wrote:

Yep hated it meself, my brother couldn't get enough of it though..eughhhhh. Time bars were like a flake+cadburys wafer combo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I saw Time bars in my local shop in Edinburgh last week, so they're still around. They weren't the best, but they weren't too offensive!

Desperate Dans were LOVELY!

Turkish Delights are gross. I agree with most of what's been said, but can't think of my own contributions!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

any variation on twix or kit-kat is guarunteed to be rank!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

can someone remind me what Time bars were? The name sounds familiar but I can't picture them...

Oops, just to clarify, I meant 'Big Time' bars. These were rectangular bars of hard toffee with a thin chocolate covering. They came in a yellow wrapper with a black stencil of the face of Big Ben (or similar type clock) on the wrapper. They were quite cheap.

You had to suck on them for ages to soften the toffee then stick your teeth in and tear a chunk out so you could chew it...inevitibly I lost some loose front teeth and one or two back teeth to them when I was a kid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Candy fags were mank. Also those violet things - even though I had forgotten about them I the name has rekindled some horrid memories of the vile things. I have to say Wham bars were ok apart from the tooth removal bit.

Slightly OT but the blue Mr.Freeze (tropical flavour I think) was like sucking a wad of frozen washing up liquid.

Great thread! Ah the memories.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Clove drops :o or those annaseed (sp) balls.. Yuk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Archeron

Zubes. I know technically they werent sweets, but since they were hard boiled and came in a tin, I still always stole them on my mum. And regretted it everytime.

Clove drops, gaaargh, just remembed them. They used to make my throat seize up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

c - 13 wrote:
    Also desperate dan bars were and still are, lurvely .... but sooo bad for your teeth.
    Apparently they stopped making them this year, along with Roy of the Rovers bars... can't say it's a big shame though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Desperate Dan bars, gross!

And what about Penguins? Talk about sh*tty quality chocolate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Panky Bars ruined Pigheads childhood, I used to eat them in the toilets at school because they were a cheap bar from Dunnes or Crazy Prices and the rich kids would laugh and ridicule me. Sad Times.

PS LivingDeadGirl: Is that a Suede reference? If it is then you rock! If its not then Happy Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Big Bars (came in white and milk chocolate) were teh mank also, the chocolate tasted awful and just got stuck into the roof of your mouth for ages! I suppose you can't expect much for 5p and they were tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

smallpaws wrote:

Nah, it tastes like baby poo.

Those candy ciggies... wow, the second wrost chocolate I've ever tasted, they're nearly as bad as hersy's kisses. I usually got rid of them somehow without eating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jimoslimos wrote:

You can still get those in those cheap fun packs. They were so horrific - they tasted like the smell of perfume, if that makes sense. Can't imagine how anybody could like them, but that's what I think about Turkish as well so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

those Candy watch things were Mank. I've seen these recently as well. How they're still being made I'll never know.

Peggys Leg was another horrible lump of junk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jimoslimos wrote:

What exactly are these? My friends were talking about them recently, but I can't think of them.

Advertisement