Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland - charging for not using enough electricity.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Just got my bill, 108 units in 63 days. Average sized fridge freezer has been plugged in all that time and obviously I've been using other items as well. Yet according to "an ESB spokesman" in this article
    Two units per day would be consumed by, for example, a small fridge-freezer on all day

:rolleyes:

I checked my fridge-freezer, and it says on it "0.88kW/24h" -- which is a lot less than 2 units!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

BrianD3 wrote: »
    First of all, 2 units per day is not none. Secondly, if you read the thread I and others have described circumstances where usage can be under 2 units per day.

Spare me this bull about "wealthy people with holiday homes".

There's a stink of begrudgery off this thread. I'd say that those cheerleading this increase have big bills and thought it was "impossible" for someone to run a house on much less. It must be annoying to then discover that they were wrong and that they have paid out potentially thousands more over the years than less wasteful people.

Just got my bill, 108 units in 63 days. Average sized fridge freezer has been plugged in all that time and obviously I've been using other items as well. Yet according to "an ESB spokesman" in this article

:rolleyes:

hummm do you watch tv in your house or use computers even?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I know plenty that don't and others that use them very little

hummm do you watch tv in your house or use computers even?

Modern TVs often don't use very much power. For example, the Samsung LED range runs at about 0.1 units/hour. My laptop charger uses a whopping 0.06 units/hour (and my phone charges off my laptop...)

The "big" consumers of power are:
    1. Tumble dryers
    2. Electric heating
    3. Electric cookers

If you hang all your clothes on the line and use gas heating/cooking - your biggest consumers of electricity are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Modern TVs often don't use very much power.
    My 4 year old LCD consumes 250w (i.e. 1 unit every 4 hours). It's only very modern, typically LED, that a would be less than 150w.

Ironically the old tube TVs were the most energy efficient of all. My old 32 inch was 90w.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    My 4 year old LCD consumes 250w (i.e. 1 unit every 4 hours). It's only very modern, typically LED, that a would be less than 150w.

Ironically the old tube TVs were the most energy efficient of all. My old 32 inch was 90w.

The old tube TV's weren't the most energy efficient, they were just smaller. LCD/LED TVs are more efficient than tubes on a size-for-size basis.

Anyway - my point is that in the summer time especially, it's certainly not out there to consume less than 2 units a day - little/no lighting costs, generally less TV watching, etc. Add a summer holiday into the mix where power consumption drops to near zero, and you could easily drop to an average of less than 2 units, and then get penalized for it.

What I find bizarre about the whole thing is that if you consume 122 units you pay the high rate (assuming a usual 61-day billing period), but if you pay 123 units you pay the low rate - essentially you are being "paid" to use that extra unit of electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The old tube TV's weren't the most energy efficient, they were just smaller.
    Size obviously has an effect on the overall consumption, but my 40" LCD consumes almost 3 times what my 32" CRT did, but it is not almost 3 times the size, no matter what way you measure it.
    LCD/LED TVs are more efficient than tubes on a size-for-size basis.
    You shouldn't be grouping LCD and LED TVs together. LED is considerably more efficient than LCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Sorry to drag up an old thread but how do they work out four 60W bulbs on for three hours a day is equal to two units?

4 x 60W = 240W
    240W x 3hours = 720W

720W = 0.72 kWhr

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

View wrote: »
    That though is incorrect.

Given the current economic crisis, there are people working abroad for much of the month with their "main homes" (as they'd see it) in Ireland. Their reward for not sitting around on the dole costing the tax-payer money will be to get a nice "Welcome Home" bill from Electric Ireland.

Worryingly if they switch to Airtricity they'll get hit by an across-the-board increase in standing charges in order to cushion Airtricity's profits from the effects of bad debts.

Advertisement