Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ALDI dehumdifier

Options
  • 02-10-2014 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, I am think to buy a decent dehumdifier, house is very damp during winter.

How does this one
    aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-5-october/products-detail-page/ps/p/dehumidifier-1/

compare with this one
    amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-DNC65-Compressor-Compact-Dehumidifier/dp/B000UVPOUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408012098&sr=8-1&keywords=DeLonghi-DNC65-Compressor-Compact

the ALDI one comes with 3 years warranty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Based on my experience I would 100% not go for the compressor type dehumidifier for winter use. I found that they extract very little water in colder temperatures.

This is the one you want to buy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecoair-DD122FW-MK5-Classic-Dehumidifier/dp/B008BZVCVM/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412216710&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=diseccant+dehumidifier

I have one of this and the entire water tank will fill overnight. Actually could not believe how much water it extracts from the air.

I stopped using mine because of the cost of use and it just seemed to keep extracting the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jodaw wrote: »
    Based on my experience I would 100% not go for the compressor type dehumidifier for winter use. I found that they extract very little water in colder temperatures.

This is the one you want to buy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecoair-DD122FW-MK5-Classic-Dehumidifier/dp/B008BZVCVM/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412216710&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=diseccant+dehumidifier

I have one of this and the entire water tank will fill overnight. Actually could not believe how much water it extracts from the air.

I stopped using mine because of the cost of use and it just seemed to keep extracting the water.
    I'm a bit confused by you saying 'not go'. Are you saying that the Aldi unit is a compressor type?

If the one you recommend is too expensive for you to use, what do you do now to dehumidify your house?

If I needed a powerful dehumidifier, from the three above I would probably buy the Aldi one, provided it is not a compressor type, as you said. (and keep the receipt/instructions safe).

Factors: 3-year warranty, trouble-free return if necessary, and higher tank capacity.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by you saying 'not go'. Are you saying that the Aldi unit is a compressor type?

If the one you recommend is too expensive for you to use, what do you do now to dehumidify your house?

If I needed a powerful dehumidifier, from the three above I would probably buy the Aldi one, provided it is not a compressor type, as you said. (and keep the receipt/instructions safe).

Factors: 3-year warranty, trouble-free return if necessary, and higher tank capacity.

If the Aldi one is a compressor type I could almost guarantee the water extraction results below 15c would be very poor. It does not state whether it is but this is very important and Aldi decided it was not worth mentioning. If would not fancy purchasing Aldi electronic for something that will be running constantly.

Dampness is not a huge issue in my place but the RH was a little high. I was using it a little last winter but just stopped using it because because i was emptying water non stop

The RH would drop inside buy i would shoot up again once i stopped using it. I was going from downstairs to upstairs and just got fed up emptying the water out.

The compressor type units just use electricity with poor results.

I have the dehumidifier i linked to and i can tell you that the water extraction is exceptional even in colder temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Worth spedning the extra on a quality item.

I got this and it does a great job, plenty of options for saving power and takes 5 litres a day out of the air, great if you have allergies.

I don't know the Aldi unit, it may be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

ch750536 wrote: »
    Worth spedning the extra on a quality item.

I got this and it does a great job, plenty of options for saving power and takes 5 litres a day out of the air, great if you have allergies.

I don't know the Aldi unit, it may be fine.

That only uses 330W full-tilt. That really isnt much power consumption if it can handle a big room. Lets say a kWh is 14c. Then this costs 14*.33 = 4.62C per hour. That is not taking into account VAT, standing charge etc.

Again if you need > 3 then things get a little hairy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was recently looking into Dehumidifiers through this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057293609

I'm yet to use the dimplex one I have in temperatures below 15 degrees. Jodaw I'm a bit confused with your post too :) The compressor ones are meant to be economic to run but you're saying they don't collect enough water, then you're saying the one you linked to is expensive to run and collects too much water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm no expert on Dehumidifiers, but I have used them a lot, particularly in holiday homes. I also use one at home to dry washing in the winter. I only bought a cheap on in France for a holiday home, but as it worked really well, I bought a second one to bring home. For me, the continuous draining is essential and also I didn't want anything too big. I saw this Aldi ad, and thought this looked like a good machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I've an Ebac model for over 10 yrs now and still going strong. It's the 'much' older model similar to this but I believe mine can hold maybe 4 or more ltrs of water. It dries clothes in a small 8ft*10ft room and you'd probably only need to empty it every third or fourth time.

As regards electricity use - well my model is basic - two fan speeds and a dial for the amount of humidity it cuts off at. I notice that the compressor isn't running all the time so there are times when only the fan is on. As post #6 says - say it runs max (330W) at for 10 hrs a day @ 18c per KWh - that's about 60c - but of course it's less as the compressor is off at times during those 10 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I have ebac 2850e and Trotec 75S (both compressor based), I also owned Ecoair dessicant one. For sake of my curiosity I run ebac and trotec for same period of time in same room, and trotec is way more efficient. It is not much more expensive than Aldi one and should collect 20% more water in same time. In general compressor based ones seem to better to be used in heated houses, they also in my short experience last longer. Dessicant as someone mention is unbeatable once you go below 10C, compressor ones stop working. Downside is that dessicant ones do use more power.

Nice thing about dehumidifiers is that they are over 100% efficient heating devices, they give more heat than they take electricity in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

cormie wrote: »
    The compressor ones are meant to be economic to run but you're saying they don't collect enough water,

At low temperatures e.g. garage, conservatory, shed, camper, caravan, summer house etc. the dehumidifier frosts up, then the compressor goes into reverse heating the coils to defrost them, then it has to cool them again to start dehumidifying and the cycle continues. Lots of power heating and cooling, not much if any dehumidifying. Even at moderate temperatures 14-16C they are rapidly losing efficiency.

• Advertisement

Interesting, so maybe for a bigger room it would be good to have both working simultaneously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Interesting, so maybe for a bigger room it would be good to have both working simultaneously?

Nope, either space is heated then use compressor or space is unheated then use dessicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I have the Aldi one, bought it last year and use it on a regular basis in the bathroom after I've had a shower to keep mould down to a minimum. Bathroom is usually dry after an hour or so.

Works a charm and doubles as a clothes dryer if you need it.

Plus the 3 year warranty is hard to beat (I've had to use the Aldi warranties for one or two items and they do honour it with relatively little fuss)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I bought 2 of these Aldi ones also and I'm very happy with them.
    They collect water in a 20L container but you can connect them directly to a wast pipe if needed.

I have used mine in colder rooms and they appeared to work fine but the instructions do say that they are less efficient at colder temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Ross-Moves-In.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

dilallio wrote: »
    I bought 2 of these Aldi ones also and I'm very happy with them.
    They collect water in a 20L container but you can connect them directly to a wast pipe if needed.

I have used mine in colder rooms and they appeared to work fine but the instructions do say that they are less efficient at colder temperatures.

How many watts at full power??

• Registered Users Posts: 23 iglipigle

Is the Aldi one using compressor? I can't find information from their own website

iglipigle wrote: »
    Is the Aldi one using compressor? I can't find information from their own website
    From this page (last year) it is a compressor.

"Well I've just bought the Aldi one but am now confused on the box it says it runs by rotary compressor. "

Also, a good explanation of the difference from that page:

"What’s the difference between a compressor dehumidifier and a desiccant/silica gel unit?

A compressor dehumidifier uses refrigerant to create cold coils (very similar to fridges & freezers) upon which moisture from the air is condensed. This condensation then runs from the coils into the water tank at the bottom of the unit. A desiccant or silica gel dehumidifier uses a moisture absorbent material which when saturated is heated up and the moisture is released into the tank. Also desiccant/silica gel dehumidifiers aren’t affected by temperature so they can be used in low temperatures but due to the way that the material is heated up to be reused they do have a higher power consumption than compressor machines."

Not your ornery onager

I assume there's no need to refill the desiccant ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

bmm wrote: »
    How many watts at full power??

I won't be back home until the weekend but I'll check then and post back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I recently got a Meaco DD8L dessicant dehumidifier from boots.ie Free delivery and should be able to return it easily.

From everything I read the desiccant type works well in the Irish climate. Much lighter than compressor type too.

As many have previously said the different options would suit different circumstances. It really depends what is the circumstances of the OP.

If for example you keep your home at a temperature about 15C in the winter and you are using the dehumifier to take water from the air after a shower or dry clothes then the compressor unit may work for you.

If the machine is operating in temperature lower than this then I would go for the other type.

I my case the dehumifier was working in an area that was a lower temperature and it would continue taking liters and liters of water from the area. The humidity would drop but i think that once then machine was not in use the humidity would balance between outside and inside rapidly.

So i think in my case just kept taking the water from the outside air that was coming inside. I just felt it was money down the drain because the situation was not improving over time.

I think the way to combat dampness is to have the home constatly at a decent temperature in the winter, use the dehumifier then to dry clothes or take excess dampness from the air. Then maybe twice per day open windows for 5 minutes to allow warm damp air to escape.

A note on drying clothes:

I found that using the dehumidifier to dry clothes would be costing me equal to or more than a decent condenser dryer.

A note on drying clothes:

I found that using the dehumidifier to dry clothes would be costing me equal to or more than a decent condenser dryer.

Curious, how did you measure the cost?

I assume there's no need to refill the desiccant ones?
    Not 100% certain, but I would say not.

Not your ornery onager

mrcheez wrote: »
    Curious, how did you measure the cost?

Just using a watt meter to monitor the energy usage in clothes drying mode

Just using a watt meter to monitor the energy usage in clothes drying mode

Interesting, must get me one of those, curious how much energy my entertainment centre is using on standy etc.

Where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

TBi wrote: »
    I recently got a Meaco DD8L dessicant dehumidifier from boots.ie Free delivery and should be able to return it easily.

From everything I read the desiccant type works well in the Irish climate. Much lighter than compressor type too.

I have been using one of those for the last two winters,I have it at the bottom of the stairs in a 3 bed terrace,

Takes about 3-5 liters of water out of the air over a 12hr period,10am to 10pm,plus adds some heat back into the air,

I was getting mold showing up in the bathroom and the bedrooms,plus condensation running down the windows,

I no longer get any mold and very little condensation,

Costs about €30 extra on the Electricity bill for 2 months,

The only real drawback is the noise,I run mine on medium,and it can start to grate after several hours,although it really depends on the build up of water in the house overnight when its turned on,as this will affect how long it needs to run for continuously till it reaches the set level of humidity,

In short I would not be without it but the noise bothers the wife,oh and on that note compressor types are noisier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

wiz569 wrote: »

The only real drawback is the noise,I run mine on medium,and it can start to grate after several hours,although it really depends on the build up of water in the house overnight when its turned on,as this will affect how long it needs to run for continuously till it reaches the set level of humidity,

In short I would not be without it but the noise bothers the wife,oh and on that note compressor types are noisier :)

I leave ours on all the time on the landing. Don't hear it at all once the door is closed. Do you have wooden floors? Put something under it to quieten any vibrations.

We mainly use it for drying the clothes since our house wasn't bad for condensation. However dry air in the house makes it more comfortable and nice to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

hi all
    looking to buy dehumidifier for appartment,missed out on aldi offer so looking for any recomendations,rooms do get fairly cold at night so would need one that isnt effected by low temperatures.would need it mainly to prevent dampness and some drying of clothes,any suggestions appreciated
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

TBi wrote: »
    I leave ours on all the time on the landing. Don't hear it at all once the door is closed. Do you have wooden floors? Put something under it to quieten any vibrations.

We mainly use it for drying the clothes since our house wasn't bad for condensation. However dry air in the house makes it more comfortable and nice to live in.

Closing the door is pointless as it won't allow the air circulate,

it's actually the noise of the fan that's annoying not vibration unfortunately, but I can put it with for the benefits it gives :)

Advertisement