Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

• 26-07-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

MOD EDIT: IrishStuff09 is after doing a write up of FAQ on the box. Thanks IrishStuff!
    NOWTV Box | £10 Media Streamer!
    Sky_Now_TV_Box.jpg

What can the NOW TV box do?

Stock Features:
    • Turn your TV into a smart TV
    • Watch the TV that suits you with a Sky Movies Month Pass, Entertainment Month Pass or a Sky Sports Day Pass
    • View catuch-up TV on BBC iPlayer (DNS change needed), 4OD and Demand 5 (DNS Change Needed)
    • Download apps like Facebook Photo Viewer and Spotify (Premium Accounts Only)
    Sideloaded Features:
    How can I obtain one?
    • First, you'll need a Parcel Motel account as you'll need to get this shipped to their Belfast address. You can get one here and read how it works here.
    • Visit the NowTV shop page, press "Buy Now" and follow the steps.
    • When you've completed your order, and as soon as it gets shipped you'll be emailed Tracking information which can be checked here.
    • Wait for it to arrive! :)

Where can I get plugins for Plex?
    • Plugins can be found here and can be installed by copying the extracted folder to the Plex Media Server Plugin Folder, or by following this video.
    YouTube Video:

Things to know about the box..
    • It can only be connected to your TV via the HDMI cable (provided) or the AV Out connection (unconfirmed & cable not provided).
    • There is no ethernet port on the box so can only be connected to your network via WiFi.
    • The software isn't the same as the Roku LT, and the Roku Store is a modified version to the one seen on the Roku LT, which is why Plex has to be sideloaded.
    • Only one sideloaded-app can be on the device at one time. (App sideloaded via developer menu, as seen in Plex Installation Tutorial, not Plex plugin)
    • You can search through the YouTube app (myVideosBuzz) via the on screen keyboard.
    • Without a movies or sports subscription, this box is still worth the £10 you paid! Whether you use Plex and stream your choice of movies/shows that you have on your server or through the Roku Store apps such as CNET, USTV and RevisionTV there will always be something to watch regardless of your subscription status.

Overview in pictures

Back of box
    NowTVboxback.jpg

Front of box
    NowTVboxfront.jpg

What's in the box?

Deals, Coupons & Links
    • The box can also be purchased on the Argos UK site for a little more, with some vouchers included. Check out this link.
    • Get the box for £7.89 (after cash back) using TopCashbackUK at this link. (Cash back for vouchers also)

Anything else I should add? :)

https://shop.nowtv.com

I bought this basically because i think people will mod the S*it out off it, and only 12 euro .
    I used Parcel Motel to get it posted :)
    http://www.parcelmotel.com/
    Enjoy

About the device:
    This streamer is designed to sell you Sky Movies subscription and Sky Sports day passes but it will also run a number of free apps such as :

Sky News
    BBC News
    BBC iPlayer
    Demand 5
    Spotify
    Facebook
    VEVO and many more

What we know so far:

- Hardware is a rebadged Roku LT (Sky is an investor in Roku) designed to give access to Sky Movies and SKy Sports for those without a Sky dish (by using your broadband). It streams via wireless at upto 720p only.

- To use the box you will need a Now TV account (which is free) and this will give access to non-subscription apps such as iPlayer & 5OD. The free services will work even if you dont have a subscription or if you subscription has lapsed.

- To view Sky Movies or Sky Sports you will need a Now TV subscription (not free!) however there is a 30 day free trial at present.

Techradar review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/digital-tv-receivers/now-tv-box-1168788/review

For those asking about hacks, nothing yet confirmed.

PS. I did copy this from HUKD. Thanks.

274-7065_PI_TPS2063376?wid=493&ht=538

£25:> http://www.tesco.com/direct/now-tv-hd-digital-media-streamer-with-sky-entertainment-4-month-pass/274-7065.prd?skuId=274-7065

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ Ryleigh Abundant Keyhole

Yeah I got one of these dismorning in the hope its hacked to bits, but iplayer etc will be ip region locked unless your using vpn...worth a punt incase it gets hacked

• Registered Users Posts: 40 onliner

UK only on conditions. Will the order be accepted from ROI and will catch up TV work from here.

General: 18+. UK only. Content streamed. Requires broadband/3G (charges may apply). Register up to four compatible devices, and watch on two at the same time. Device changes limited to one per month. Some content unavailable on live channels and/or some devices. Xbox® Gold Live needed to use NOW TV on Xbox® 360.NOW TV available on compatible Roku LT and XS boxes only. HDMI cable required for higher quality viewing. You will need to create a Roku UK account to use NOW TV with Roku. See here for device compatibility requirements. For content/device restrictions read the FAQs. Full terms of service here.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

I bought it mainly because its going to be hacked left right and centre, it probably wont match up to my minix neo x7 when it arrives but something to feed my flashing addiction (Roms that is).

But its so cheap and some1 will figure out how to flash stock roku firmware. So the way i think of it is getting a 50-60 euro roku box for 12 quid :D

Worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You will need to subscribe to the free trial of SkyMovies to activate the NowTV account, only than can you use the box. An account (without a previous subscription) is not enough. It clearly states so at their FAQ page. Not a big challenge but one needs to remember that. Without that you can't even use iplayer or the roku channel.

BBC iPlayer, it should be possible to change the network settings of the box to use for example tunlr.net DNS servers so it should run even from Ireland.

I also hope for a way to flash it and make it a standard box but even if that does not happen (yeah right), a good value for money as it seams to allow to do the majority of what a roku branded device can.

Also the order process allows you to specify an irish billing address with a UK delivery address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Very tempted by this myself today! Not sure how hackable it will be as it doesn't have any USB inputs, but it does allow to for "unofficial" (as in Apps not in the Roku Store) to be added. As Netflix and Plex have been omitted from Roku's official store on this NowTV box, it will be the only hope to get them on it. There also no way to use a VPN on the device, not without doing some hackery to your router, so the iPlayer and Demand 5 will be totally useless to us.

Those who don't have a NowTV subscription, keep an eye on their Twitter feed as they often post promos. A few months back they had a code for a £1 subscription for three months. As this box has been priced solely to get people to pay for their £9 subscription (already "discounted" from £15) so this may come to an end.

Sales for the box have exploded in the UK, so hopefully we'll see some nice workarounds for the device!

Edit: Actually they do have a promo at the mo, with six months of NowTV for £2.50 a month. At that price, I think it's worth it. I wouldn't go in expecting a Netflix-quality service however. http://www.nowtv.com/promo/totalfilm?DCMP=erd_july13_NowTV_Total_Film_04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Is there any setting for DNS on this device? That would make iPlayer and Demand 5 work here.

Mine shipped today to PM, once I get it I test it and come back here to give an update if it is possible to change DNS, the other applications can actually be accessed without a NowTV account and what the limits of the Roku channel on this device are (we already know about the missing Netflix/plex).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Just ordered one myself & it will be delivered to Parcel Motel. Be interesting to see how this device develops it's worth a gamble to purchase it, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Beagslife

Are Sky not likely to add an Irish version of this at some stage, like their WiFi connector previously?

Is it likely to work with Sky GO content, at some point?

MC

Now TV is likely to work in Ireland through the box at the moment, as their online player and iPad App work here perfectly. It's just the UK On-Demand Apps won't.

As for Sky Go, it is hard to know. Sky dont seeme to be taking much of an interest in expanding it to other devices. It may not ever reach Roku/NowTV Box as Sky may fear it'll eat into their Multiroom subscriptions

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote: »
    Now TV is likely to work in Ireland through the box at the moment, as their online player and iPad App work here perfectly. It's just the UK On-Demand Apps won't.

As for Sky Go, it is hard to know. Sky dont seeme to be taking much of an interest in expanding it to other devices. It may not ever reach Roku/NowTV Box as Sky may fear it'll eat into their Multiroom subscriptions

Nope it doesn't, you'll have to use a VPN. They have said they will introduce to Ireland at some point but they haven't yet.
    Edit: Link

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

I'd love to know if the box deactivates itself when a subscription is cancelled and be left unable to use iPlayer

Nope it doesn't, you'll have to use a VPN. They have said they will introduce to Ireland at some point but they haven't yet.
    Edit: Link
    I've been using it the last two months on my iPad and my laptop, without a VPN. They've never officially launched it here, but any Irish person can still purchase a subscription as they accept Irish Credit Cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Dman001 wrote: »
    I've been using it the last two months on my iPad and my laptop, without a VPN. They've never officially launched it here, but any Irish person can still purchase a subscription as they accept Irish Credit Cards.

Thanks for the info, when I tried my card before it didn't work, must have changed.

Yeah I'm pretty sure when it first launched, it wasn't opened to us. It has changed since.

Doing a bitta snooping to see if you could put unofficial channels on the box. On the Roku, this involves putting the Box into Dev mode by pressing a sequence of buttons on the remote. This will give you the box's IP address, and you can then send the Zipped Apps through your computers browser to the Box. Now from what I can tell, the NowTV box can be put into Dev mode (a reviewer said he had WiFi issues and tried the sequence of buttons and put him through to a 'hidden menu'). I assume that is the Dev mode he was put through. Unfortunately, there are no real decent unofficial Apps. What would be awesome though, is if we could get our hands on the Zipped official Apps and possibly install them through this method. Chances of that are extremely low however.

• Very unlikely this will get hacked.

I know its only a tenner down the drain but if the only reason you are buying it is in the hopes of a hack, I would just put the money towards a RPi, at least you know what you can and can't do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wonder if it could run XBMC one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Wonder if it could run XBMC one day.

my sentiments exactly!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ok, just looking through reviews and don't see any info on the processor - anyone know what processor is in this device?

This review says its a rebranded Roku 2XD which is a 600MHz processor. The Roku LT has a 400MHz processor. But the Roku 2 XD has a micro-SD slot (from looking at wiki pages) so not sure if there is any slots available which is unlikely if its purely designed for streaming Sky content.

I'd be interested to know what flashing tools are needed to flash these boxes and what firmware, official or custom, you could get away with flashing.

P.S. Damn you BA!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

• Wonder if it could run XBMC one day.

None of the ROKU devices have been rooted; they've been around for a few years and sold shedloads in the US so its not from lack of trying.

This will be just as well locked down. You're throwing money away if you buy one in the hopes that it gets hacked.

It doesnt even seem to be a time-limited offer so I don't know why people are rushing to buy it. Save your money and there's nothing to stop you buying one later if someone actually does manage to root it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's no way Sky aren't out to fleece people on this. It won't be hackable and it'll end up full of pay per view apps.

Get a Chromecast instead when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Took a chance on it as its so cheap. Might come in handy for something in the future, even if it isn't hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Anyone notice after ordering it says it's tracked delivery and has to be signed for? How will that work with Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roger00

eamon234 wrote: »
    Anyone notice after ordering it says it's tracked delivery and has to be signed for? How will that work with Parcel Motel?

I've had a few tracked deliveries go through PM, they sign for it & forward to your locker as normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hmm interesting, I hope it launches officially in Éire soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shane_Curran

Looks like it's been hacked
    --
    It's not been mentioned, so I will, you can install Plex onto it using the manual side load method.

How to install Plex onto your Now TV box

1) Enable dev mode on your box by pressing:
    HOME 3 times
    UP 2 times
    RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT

(if this doesn't work then make sure you are not leaving long pauses between button presses)

2) Enable developer mode on the screen that comes up.

3) Download Plex client for Roku from https://github.com/downloads/plexinc/roku-client-public/Plex.zip

4) Open web browser on your computer and open HTTP connection to device

5) Click browse and navigate to the Plex.zip you downloaded

6) Click the install button

7) Run plex

Instructions taken from Plex FAQ and Roku forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hank Moody

Is there any way to get netflix on this box?

Has anybody gotten their box yet?

They send me a mail that they shipped it on Friday but RoyalMail still says: We have been notified that your item is being shipped by the retailer; the next scan will appear when we receive this item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement