Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you playing? (July/August 2012)

• 28-07-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

Back by request.... I know after the steam sale, people bought ridiculous amounts of games, plus people are catching up on old games during the gaming drought.....

I'm playing Spelunky on xbox (looking forward to Deadlight next week). The next games I'm buying are Darksiders 2 in about 3 weeks, and Borderlands 2 in September.

On 3DS, I just finished Heroes of Ruin (fun, but could have been better.... no new game+?), I'm a few levels from the end of Mutant Mudds, and I'm on my second run through VVVVVV (doing better than my 700+ life first run!). Getting a 3DSXL this week, and looking forward to NSMB2 in August.

On iOS, I'm playing Nihilumbra (fantastic puzzle platformer), Subway Surfer (more addictive than Temple Run, I'm up to 21x on the multiplier and still playing), and Burger Cat which was free during the week (a puzzle platformer with shades of Lemmings).

PS3 and Wii are gathering dust at the moment. I'll get back to Zelda eventually, but I have to admit being a bit bored of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well lets engage! :D

anyway i spent a fortune this month on gaming related products. i spent a fortune on games too! thank you steam, ya bastard!

so i was jumping and checking a lot of games, but only few are in main rotation!

tropico 4 - i cant believe i am enjoying it so much. I was not avoiding it before, i was just not interested in it. finally bite the bullet and i am so happy i finally did it. what a fun economy sim game.

MGS collection on PS vita - i quite like it and i cant believe how good it looks. its a shame controls are very damn hard to get used to. i dont know if thats ps vita problem or being spoiled by current gen games with very easy and flawless controls.

Xbox and ps3 havent been turned on for ages. i did got ME3 from a friend, but i only managed to get 3 hours in before droping it and returning it back. It felt so cheesy and with very poor voice acting. it felt like i am in the middle of robots not human characters. i was quite shocked as i really loved ME1 and ME2 back then. I just could not force myself playing it. did i grew out of it or did it became ****, dunno.

3ds - i dont even remember where did i put it. when ps vita came out i never ever came back to it.

other then that i just jump from pc game to pc game just to check what it is. not even enough time to properly review it for myself. ( blame steam! )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

At the start of the month I was playing Rayman Origins on the PS3. It was really good but as I got near the end I was kind of getting a little tired of it. I put it back on the shelf before I managed to finish it. The last couple of levels I played were starting to get frustrating.

Right now I'm playing Space Marine on PS3. It was one of the free games on PS+. I'm not very far into right now and it is fun but I'm not sure about it's long-term prospects. I think it might get a bit tiresome unless they vary up the gameplay.

I haven't gotten around to playing any of the Steam games I bought in the sale. I wanted to play Super Meat Boy but it doesn't support the 360 Controller on Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

@Shadowhearth.

Concerning MGS, I really just think it's you! I've been playing it on the Vita almost exclusively the past week or two and I have zero issue with the controls. You're right that the controls are a tad sensitive in the beginning but I got over that within minutes.

You make an interesting point about newer games being more user friendly, though.

I never stopped playing older games so I've never really lost the feel for them. Playing the old resident evils seems to get more trying as I get older what with the tank controls. Especially 1 and 2, neither of which had the very useful 180 turn that the later games had.

As for what I'm playing, MGS on Vita and still Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim on PS3.
    Also get quick fixes of MK9 (PS3 and Vita), SSFIV Arcade edition (360), SF 3rd Strike (PS3) and UMvsC3 (Vita).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

At the start of the month I was playing Rayman Origins on the PS3. It was really good but as I got near the end I was kind of getting a little tired of it. I put it back on the shelf before I managed to finish it. The last couple of levels I played were starting to get frustrating.

Is the the main quest or the after-game? I know the former gets rough enough, but if it's the case of the latter, beware! It gets rougher, requiring end-game Ikaruga levels of precision to navigate the dodgiest parts.

Regard the topic at hand, I'm still at the start of Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey, El Shaddai too, and I've been blitzing SSFFIV: AE online, trying to make something of Dan Hibiki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Started Borderlands the other day on PC, already finished it last year on xbox minus all the DLC so for €7 I thought I'd try the GotY version. Surprisingly hard to run on my laptop, I can usually manage 3/4 year old games at reasonably high settings but forced to play everything on low and at reduced resolution to get a stable frame rate.

Also been messing around with San Andreas which I got in the sale, the controls are too awkward on PC though and with no controller support I've found it hard to get a workable set up with xpadder so haven't played it much.

Crysis 2 on xbox, really enjoying this, never played the first one and was expecting a boring generic shooter but for a console fps its surprisingly open and has some great mechanics.

Nothing else on the go at the moment, finished Max Payne 3 last week and might start a game of Rome Total War tonight if I can get into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Is the the main quest or the after-game? I know the former gets rough enough, but if it's the case of the latter, beware! It gets rougher, requiring end-game Ikaruga levels of precision to navigate the dodgiest parts.

It is still the main game. I didn't know there was extra content after the main game.
    Harps wrote: »

Crysis 2 on xbox, really enjoying this, never played the first one and was expecting a boring generic shooter but for a console fps its surprisingly open and has some great mechanics.

Funnily enough I switched on my 360 about an hour ago to play the new PES2013 demo (quite good) and noticed that the Crysis 2 disc was still in the console. I hadn't played it in three months so I went back to it for a half hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Deus Ex with the New Vision texture pack - playing this through before starting HR
    Alice madness returns - suprisingly enjoying this
    FM2012 on laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Me3 multiplayer, and the original mass effect.

i'm sticking with the classics recently, I gave dawn of war 2 a shot again recently and enjoyed it loads. Also logged in and out of wow twice this month too, a new low! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've put STALKER SOC on hold while I play Borderlands GOTY. Tried it out on Steam's free weekend yesterday and got it on GMG (for free, between discount and free credit :)). Enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It is still the main game. I didn't know there was extra content after the main game.

Oh, in that case then, I can assure you, the Land of the Livid Dead is going to make you ever regret buying the game, then oddly grateful, when you've sussed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

PC - Playing through San Andreas, Tropico 3 and Splinter Cell Conviction,

PS3 - The Saboteur and replaying Midnight Club LA

PS2 - Tried playing Vice City on steam but couldn't get the controller to work properly so I had to get the PS2 out, I never finished it so it should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mostly mobile games these days, like Draw Something, Song pop, some new Where's my Water levels, but then...
    The Dark Knight Rises! :O
    The graphics are amazing for a mobile game and the gameplay is like Arkham City!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mostly been using the time to go back over old games and gather missed achievements, one though stood out as I absolutely hated the game...... the 1st time I played it, I now want to publicly apologise to "Bayonetta" and ask for for her hand in marriage :D Can't believe I hated it so much when I played it first, second time around a 2 years away from it really did the trick !!!!!!

Elsewise I've been at Spec:Op's the Line and lolly pop chainsaw, both of which are great...... rentals!!!!!! Too short to say run out and buy them at full price.

Have an eye on Risen 2 for Xbox this week , but might hold off on it till I rea more reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

It's been a long time since battlefield 3 has left my xbox,I still love it and still play it when I can.
    On my laptop after the most recent sale iv been dipping in and out of a few games, left 4 dead 2, arkham city mainly. Must get back into borderlands and play a bit of diablo 3 as well. I rarely just stick with one game for a long time, I tend to jump around a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Currently playing Civilization 5, Can't believe I'd never got around to
    playing this.

There's nothing better than bringing another Civilization to its knee's and getting a peace treaty and then a few turns later when they think there safe....

You Roll in the Catapults :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Playing NG+ of Dark Souls. Haven't played it in such a long time.
    Was in Anor Londo earlier and got invaded while in a fight - and got destroyed. The lad messaged me to apologise - wuss...:p

Anyway am in the Painted World of Ariamis - at the start, too tired to continue - looking forward to this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Max Payne 3, nearly finished it I reckon. At a shootout in a airport but it feels like i'm chugging through the level(think the game needed more variety if i'm honest, yeah it enjoyable but the only changes in the levels is the backdrop and scenery its still clear a room and open a door). I have a ridiculous backlog that I may never see to but thats for another thread. Started MW3 campaign(i'm only a single player guy) enjoyed a few levels but its still Deja vu. My 3DS needs some love and not just old DS games, have my eye on a few games but don't want to pay 40 quid on a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Currently dabbling in Darksiders, Infamous 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse (all thanks to PS+) and, am as always, playing BF3 when I get a chance.

When I've more time on my hands I'll make a start on Mass Effect 3 and another PS+ download, Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Thought deus ex was a massive heap of ****e, personally. Gotta say, very few games impress me anymore. Skyrim and a few fighters, nowt else. Is it age? I hope not but the world of video games is failing more and more at keeping me interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Playing DayZ the mod for ARMA 2 for PC and it rocks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally got the Platinum in Batman Arkham City and now waiting for Sleeping Dogs on August 17th. Looking for something cheap to keep me going till then. Would hardly get Saints Row 3 cheap on PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Havent had much time recently to play, but when I have had any, its all been eaten up with Civ5.....just one more turn, one more turn...4 hours later....one more turn.

Currently in a map with England and Germany, so currently stock piling Atomic Bombs. Germans are kicking ahead with research, so might have to fire a few at them, and the English are...well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Finally got the Platinum in Batman Arkham City and now waiting for Sleeping Dogs on August 17th. Looking for something cheap to keep me going till then. Would hardly get Saints Row 3 cheap on PS3?

Still see going around the 25-30 mark used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Bouncing between League of Legends (only AI matches, I suck at this game), Binding of Isaac, Mass Effect 3 whenever theres a weekend event, bit of Borderlands here and there.

Looking forward to Darksiders 2 next month (must play through 1 again soon), Borderlands 2 and Fall of Cybertron in September, X-Com in October and Assassins Creed 3 in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Spending loads of time on the SMITE beta. 3rd person MOBA game where every ability is a skill-shot. Abit of Binding of Isaac and some Age of Empires 3 when i have a bad game/team in SMITE :D Got a huge backlog of games since the Steam sale so ill be working my way through them eventually.

Looking forward to Fall of Cybertron next month if only for the multiplayer which was amazing in War for Cybertron. Guild Wars 2 pre-purchased also. Not actually looking forward to it since the beta didn't really do it for me, but i may as well give the game a shot since i bought it already. Oh and the Dark Souls DLC. I hope they add some new balance changes to the game with it as it would make for a nice experience for the game as a whole and would give me reason to get stuck back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I've not had a huge amount of time lately and what time I do have has been dedicated to picking up cheevs in older games on my list.

On my 3rd playthrough of May Payne 3. really enjoy this game. If there weren't so many cutscenes it would be amazing.

Battling through Dead Island co-op with some mates.

Left 4 Dead 2 will be making a reappearance on the gaming schedule once the DLC is out next week.

Halo 3 is on my list for a Legendary run through in August.

I've got 6 games on the back burner but they'll likely not be started until September at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Darkness 2 - a bizarre mix of surprisingly considered storytelling and extreme hyperviolence. Gameplay is fun, albeit repetitive, but the story is actually relatively interesting and has decent forward momentum. If there weren't a few idiotic quirks - like the irritatingly obscene demon imp - and the gameplay was a little more varied, this would be great. As is, it's pretty good.

Analogue: A Hate Story - toying with going back and getting the other few endings. I really liked this, though: a graphic novel that's well written and well designed. It's always good when the word 'themes' can be used in relation to game storytelling: which, actually, is a slightly worrying indictment of the medium as a whole.

Disgaea 4 - still going! Must finish it one of these days :/

Shinobi - decent old school platformer. Far, far from perfect, but it's loyal to its heritage and has some very good level design when it isn't determined to screw you over in every manner possible.

Trine 2 - like the first game, it briefly impresses, but then kind of just repeats its tricks to the point of tedium. It looks absolutely stunning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

been hitting up the souls games for the past while. just started demons souls a few weeks ago, amazing game but so so difficult!
    still keeping up the dark souls, the game never gets boring for me!
    also been playing the mgs hd collection, the games look and perform beautifully!

thinking of maybe picking up dragons dogma but can only see it in gamestop for €50 new and dont wanna spend that much money on it, its €35 second hand in hmv but never really buy second hand.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor (PC)
    Still my favourite RTS and even thought its 6 years old still has a decent player base. Dusted it off after several year and got back into multi-player and its still as good as ever. Really looking forward to the sequel. Need to figure out a counter to American snipers and British rifle sections with grenade launcher.

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition Version 2012 (Xbox 360 and PC)
    My main game for the last 3 years. Still as enjoyable as ever. So much depth. Not quite playing it as much lately because of COH. Roll on Street Fighter 5

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition (PC)
    Finished the first game recently and enjoyed it. Played a few hours into this and its very promising so far, looks amazing in 3D, massive improvement in presentation over the first game. COH has me a bit distracted from it at the moment. But I do intend to get back into it soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,406 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thought deus ex was a massive heap of ****e, personally. Gotta say, very few games impress me anymore. Skyrim and a few fighters, nowt else. Is it age? I hope not but the world of video games is failing more and more at keeping me interested.

It's what you make of it really. Play generic boring games, get bored. Delve a little deeper and find more interesting ones than those on the top of the new release shelf if your local Gamestop. I'd be bored off my tits with games if I just stuck to things like that myself.

Advertisement