Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Guys, I'm trying to buy membership/top up withmy virtual visa card, any idea why it's not working?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I registered online about 2 hours ago and still no confirmation email (which means I can't log in and buy credit). Anyone any idea what's up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Just wondering about something. I was with Meteor before and had a free calls deal, but as part of the fair use policy the calls couldn't go over an hour. So if I was talking to someone for a long time I'd have to hang up after an hour and call back. Does the same thing apply with 48? I can't see anything in the T&Cs about it, and I'm not exactly sure how they'd charge you for extra usage if you don't actually have any credit once you pay membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

leaveiton wrote: »
    Just wondering about something. I was with Meteor before and had a free calls deal, but as part of the fair use policy the calls couldn't go over an hour. So if I was talking to someone for a long time I'd have to hang up after an hour and call back. Does the same thing apply with 48? I can't see anything in the T&Cs about it, and I'm not exactly sure how they'd charge you for extra usage if you don't actually have any credit once you pay membership.

No. Its 3000 Minutes and 5000 texts. That is it. Why are so many people complicating something so simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

No. Its 3000 Minutes and 5000 texts. That is it. Why are so many people complicating something so simple.

Not trying to complicate things, just wondering if I should still be bothering with hanging up after 60 minutes since it can get pretty annoying, that's all :) Thanks for the help, anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭niallkkk

does anyone know how to get onto the net i cant seem to since i changed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

niallkkk wrote: »
    does anyone know how to get onto the net i cant seem to since i changed

switch on Data Roaming. Ignore any warnings, you won't be charged more than the 2 euro and it will work. Use the settings they list for your handset in you APN config too.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

leaveiton wrote: »
    Not trying to complicate things, just wondering if I should still be bothering with hanging up after 60 minutes since it can get pretty annoying, that's all :) Thanks for the help, anyway!

I think you should definitely hang up after 60 minutes on a mobile phone .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Can you move and keep your same number?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Can you move and keep your same number?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Just a word of warning guys, they cut my younger brothers account off for exceeding their fair usage policy. He was 2 week into the month membership, 35mins calls & 1478 txt sent. His account is on hold until the end of his membership period, 2 more weeks, and not only can he not make calls r txts he cant recieve calls r txts, (no service at all on his phone) they also blocked his web account! They are saying there were thousands of calls from his number but refuse to provide proof r usage stats!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

zep wrote: »
    Just a word of warning guys, they cut my younger brothers account off for exceeding their fair usage policy. He was 2 week into the month membership, 35mins calls & 1478 txt sent. His account is on hold until the end of his membership period, 2 more weeks, and not only can he not make calls r txts he cant recieve calls r txts, (no service at all on his phone) they also blocked his web account! They are saying there were thousands of calls from his number but refuse to provide proof r usage stats!

Thats poxy! Right I dont think I want to change to this crowd now. Deal seems to good to be true! Keep us posted on what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭niallkkk

im taking my chances.theyre great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Have they made any plans to allow Blackberry users to avail of this fantastic offer ie use bbm (blackberry services)

If not, Would I be still able to use facebook etc?

Can I top up in a shop or does it have to be online?

I've a 087 number but i'm still with 02 would I need to unlock the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hey all,

Got this sim a while back and haven't switched over from Meteor just yet.

Just out of credit on Meteor, heading to Aberdeen on Wednesday and wondering if it's worth switching over before I go? Or might a be waiting a day or two for number to port over, payment to be processed, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Hey all,

Got this sim a while back and haven't switched over from Meteor just yet.

Just out of credit on Meteor, heading to Aberdeen on Wednesday and wondering if it's worth switching over before I go? Or might a be waiting a day or two for number to port over, payment to be processed, etc?

I think an awkward part of this is you will need to pay more in order to receive international sms and calls even in an emergency.

I know that it's €2 to send 20 texts, I wouldn't be bothering with calls.

I know that it's €2 to send 20 texts, I wouldn't be bothering with calls.

I think you need to spend the extra money just to receive texts while abroad, not just to send them.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Im on this network, its good, very good, ive had no problems!! would reccomend it

psychward wrote: »
    I think you need to spend the extra money just to receive texts while abroad, not just to send them.

You don't, I've checked...

I'm going to leave it til after I get back.

• Advertisement

You don't, I've checked...

That was the one thing holding me back... being screwed for taking a weekend away and not knowing who was looking for me. If as u say you don't then I'm relieved about that.

psychward wrote: »
    That was the one thing holding me back... being screwed for taking a weekend away and not knowing who was looking for me. If as u say you don't then I'm relieved about that.

Aye, it's €2 to send 20 texts, and to receive is free. The add-on expires a month after you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Aye, it's €2 to send 20 texts, and to receive is free. The add-on expires a month after you buy it.

Don't wish to add to the confusion but my understanding is receiving texts is 'free' only after you've paid the 'Roaming text add-on' fee of €2. By paying the €2 you also get to send 20 texts.

Similar issue arises with making/receiving calls. Again my understanding is receiving calls is 'free' only after you've paid the 'Roaming calling add-on' fee of €3.50. By paying the €3.50 fee you get to make 10 minutes calls/calling your voicemail.

As I say, just my understanding, not a definitive answer to this one.

It's all clearly (confused.gif) explained at: http://48months.ie/index/pricing

I wouldn't be bothering with calls myself so I didn't mention it.

Looks like I'll be staying with Meteor for another week or so at least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭bren2001

Don't wish to add to the confusion but my understanding is receiving texts is 'free' only after you've paid the 'Roaming text add-on' fee of €2. By paying the €2 you also get to send 20 texts.

Similar issue arises with making/receiving calls. Again my understanding is receiving calls is 'free' only after you've paid the 'Roaming calling add-on' fee of €3.50. By paying the €3.50 fee you get to make 10 minutes calls/calling your voicemail.

As I say, just my understanding, not a definitive answer to this one.

It's all clearly (confused.gif) explained at: http://48months.ie/index/pricing

You will be charge standard roaming rates to make calls or send texts once the add-on allowance has been used up.

This is just an add on, when expired you just revert to "standard" rates. Under the EU law brought in in June 2009, you cannot be charged more than 13c per text and its free to receive them. The service provider must provide the roaming service free of charge i.e. you cannot be forced to buy an add on to receive texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Thanks bren2001.

More transparency and cheaper roaming prices for EU citizens
    Euro-SMS tariff introduced: from 1 July 2009, sending an SMS from abroad costs no more than 11 cents (excluding VAT). Receiving an SMS in another EU country will remain free of charge.

Anybody know how to activate roaming on 48 without paying for either of the two roaming add-ons to be able to receive texts (and calls?) for free (when roaming)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks bren2001..... Anybody know how to activate roaming on 48 without paying for either of the two roaming add-ons to be able to receive texts (and calls?) for free (when roaming)?

You don't have to buy any roaming add-ons to activate roaming. Just ask them to check the roaming bar isn't active on your account before you go. The main value in the roaming add-on is receiving calls free while roaming. Without the add-on it's 13c per minute to receive a call, receiving texts is free, with or without the add-on.

Also the EU is moving further to reduce roaming charges this summer. By July this year, it'll be 29c per minute to make a call while roaming, reduced from 42c. So, unless they lower the price, the roaming add-on won't be worth buying just for the 10 minutes of calls for €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Do people get charged to call you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Do people get charged to call you?

They get charge same as if u were in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

nava wrote: »
    They get charge same as if u were in Ireland.
    Sorry I should have explained that better...
    People with a normal O2 simcard dont pay for calls or texts to other normal O2 customers. Do they have to pay to call or text a 48 simcard?

Advertisement