Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch this Tonight - Breeding

Options
  • 18-05-2009 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

Tonight on Tv3

Pedigree and show dog breeding expose and all the health issues involved from bad breeding practices.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

This show was shown already on one of the UK channels. It will horrify, enrage and sadden you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I saw the ads for this, I know I won't be able for it so I won't watch it but it's good to bring it to people's attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

BBC One reveals shocking truth about pedigree dog breeding in UK

A pug gasps for breath, his face so flat he damages his eyes if he bumps into things; a cavalier King Charles spaniel writhes in agony and must be put to sleep to end its pain; a distraught owner holds his beloved boxer who is fitting uncontrollably...

Two years in the making, Pedigree Dogs Exposed, lifts the lid on the true extent of health and welfare problems in pedigree dogs in the UK.

Seventy-five per cent of the seven million dogs in the UK are pedigrees, and they cost their owners over £10m in vet fees every week.

This in-depth investigation suggests they are in serious trouble, plagued by genetic disease due to decades of inbreeding.

They are also suffering acute problems because of the showring's emphasis on looks over and above function and health.

Some physical traits required by the Kennel Club's breed standards have inherent health problems (short faces, wrinkling, screw-tails, dwarfism) while other problems occur because of exaggerations bred into dogs by breeders trying to win rosettes.

Deliberate mating of dogs that are close relatives is common practice and the Kennel Club continues to register dogs bred from mother-to-son and brother-to-sister matings.

Scientists at Imperial College, London, recently found that pugs in the UK are so inbred that, although there are 10,000 of them, it is the equivalent of just 50 distinct individuals – making them more genetically compromised than the giant panda.

Steve Jones, Professor of Genetics, UCL, says: "People are carrying out breeding which would be, first of all, be entirely illegal in humans and secondly is absolutely insane from the point of view of the health of the animals."

He adds: "In some breeds they are paying a terrible, terrible price in genetic disease."

The film exposes the devastating consequences of such genetic disease for dogs and the distress it causes their owners.

Disturbing footage is shown of a cavalier King Charles spaniel writhing in agony due to syringomyelia, estimated to affect up to a third of the breed.

They have been bred with skulls too small for their brains, explains veterinary neurologist Clare Rusbridge: "The cavalier's brain is like a size 10 foot that has been shoved into a size six shoe – it doesn't fit."

Boxers suffer from several life-threatening health issues – including heart disease and a very high rate of cancer, especially brain tumours.

There are no official figures to say how many boxers suffer from epilepsy but in some breeds it is 20 times the rate found in humans. Two-year-old Zak is filmed while fitting and the distress the disease causes for him and his owners is obvious.

The film also demonstrates how some breeders produce dogs with pronounced physical attributes – "exaggerations" – in their efforts to attract a dog show judge's eye.

The breed standards are set by the Kennel Club but are open to interpretation and the film shows how, as fashion changes, so do the dogs, leading to serious health and welfare problems in some breeds.

Bulldogs, for example, have been bred to be such an unnatural shape that most can no longer mate or give birth unassisted.

The RSPCA's Chief Vet Mark Evans says: "The show world is about an obsession, about beauty, and there is a ridiculous concept that that is how we should judge dogs…

"It takes no account of your temperament, your fitness for purpose potentially as a pet animal – and that to me just makes absolutely no sense at all."

The film also exposes famous show champions that continue to father puppies despite having serious inherited disease, and demonstrates that some breeders cull perfectly healthy puppies on purely cosmetic grounds.

As the filmmaker Jemima becomes increasingly concerned with what she uncovers, she challenges the Kennel Club.

The Kennel Club, however, robustly defends its position as the guardian of dog health, pointing out the initiatives it has taken to improve pedigree dog health – including their accredited breeder scheme which sets a code of conduct for breeders and asks them to make use of health screening schemes.

It also insists that "the vast majority of dog breeds are healthy".

Ultimately, the film concludes that far from enough is being done.

As Professor Jones says: "If the dog breeders insist on going further down that road, I can say with confidence really that there is a universe of suffering waiting for many of these breeds – and many if not most of these breeds will not survive.

"They will get so inbred that they will be unable to reproduce and their genes will come to a dead end."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you do watch this show remember not to tar all breeders with the same brush. Its a very disturbing documentary but this programme doesnt provide an unbiased view so please bear that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And if you wish to discuss this afterwards, watch what you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I thought that this was a different programme to the BBC one.

Nope. It is a repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Seen it aswell the last time. Had to go check me poor little ruby (mini king charles). She was grand but I was paranoid after watching the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

i have it bookmarked to watch it, but im not sure i want to after what some of ye have said... but its no harm that some of these people are being brought into the spotlight coz its awful what they do to dogs...

once a is enough to breed a dog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Yes it is a very disturbing program to watch. however it is doing a service to the public who would be totally ignorant to what goes on behind closed doors in the dog breeding industry.

Annihoo, valid point there. folks please remember that there are a lot of reputable breeders out there who are doing things right and treat their dogs right. dog breeding SHOULD NOT be a dirty word. Proper breeders are breeding for type, temperament and health.

Please guys be careful of what you say as we don't want this thread to degenarate in to name calling and bitching.

We just want to help people who don't know much about dogs to be careful where they buy their pups so that they don't buy heartache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Its very hard to watch, but i found the history behind the club and the whole Nazi connection fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

It would help if you gave us the time the programme was going out at

I don't have a TV guide and teletext doesn't work on my TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

9 bells

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Watching that show now and it's pretty disturbing tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah this nearly has me in tears already, had to pick up one of my dogs to give me a cuddle. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Only 6minutes in and some of the images honestly have me in tears.

I'm glad my dogs are down with my mother and not hearing/seeing this

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

i feel sick.. the poor dogs

The bulldog has become such a ridiculous breed, I think it should be allowed to die out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It is very interesting though, all the information is good. Obviously it does also show that not all breeders are bad and not all purebreds are to be tarred with the same brush.

My dog n pup are sleeping here beside me and I know I'd try to move heaven and earth if anything were wrong with them. And I choose health over fashion regarding their coats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I ran in but just caught the last 5 minutes of it, if it is going to be repeated let me know.

• Advertisement

I'm glad they named and shamed some of the breeders including that fake-tanned bottle blonde with the cavalier

And they asked the Kennel Club guy if he'd have a baby with his daughter...

I ran in but just caught the last 5 minutes of it, if it is going to be repeated let me know.
    Highly unlikely. It might be on the TV3 website.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

That Ridgeback breeder at the start who was complaining about "problems with young vets" not willing to put down ridgeless pups really got under my skin. Very interesting programme, hard to watch at times. <smiles looking at my two healthy cross-breeds>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

Demonique wrote: »
    some of the breeders including that fake-tanned bottle blonde with the cavalier

Wow, I don't want to single out people for plastic surgery... but when I saw the contortions of her own face and body, it's easy to make a correlation. There's a little more than a fake tan going on there.

Nothing about health or well-being, and twisted into some weird ideal.

Whoah.

Not sure why we need to be careful what we say here on the board? I'm very new here, but I assume everyone posting in the "Animal & Pet issues" forum cares about animal welfare.

The weird thing is, I'm sure those dog breeders also love their dogs dearly.

Do not post links to youtube. Thank you.

Oh right sorry

I'm just on the bit where the boxer has seizures, those are so scary my cat had that :( but she had to be PTS cause of it.

GalKiefer wrote: »
    That Ridgeback breeder at the start who was complaining about "problems with young vets" not willing to put down ridgeless pups really got under my skin.
    Yeh even though ive seen it before that bit still grates my nerves. Unfortunately sometimes its impossible to change an "old school" mind. The bit about not listening to "a bunch of scientists" makes me even angrier. Although this programme is not a fair representation of pedigree breeders im glad it was shown again. Far far too many people buy a puppy with their "eyes wide shut", having no clue about breed traits and probable genetic problems down the line.

If this programme does scare monger people into researching and ethically buying a puppy then all the better for it.

It shouldnt put people off buying a pedigree dog but if it makes people think before they buy then i think its very valuable.

Mongrels FTW :D:D

• Advertisement

nearly wrote: »

Not sure why we need to be careful what we say here on the board? I'm very new here, but I assume everyone posting in the "Animal & Pet issues" forum cares about animal welfare. .

Its been done before thats all http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055358763&highlight=PEDIGREE+DOGS+EXPOSED

Advertisement