Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insuring a glanza V

• 10-03-2014 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

how ya's doing,

I'm looking into buying a Toyota Glanza V..

I'm 22 living in Dublin with 2 years NCB on a provisional licence and just want to know where offers the best quotes as far as the Glanza is concerned..

at the moment I'm driving a 1.5 vTec civic and the insurance is something like 900 which I find surprisingly cheap under my circumstances with Allianz.. so I'm hoping I could get a quote somewhere similar in price

any advice on what insurance to try out or people who were in the same boat and how they got around it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Its impossible to tell. Too many variables. Ring around for quotes and get the full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

2 years on provisional? You should get a full licence, it'll also lower the insurance price.

Also, like goz83 said the price is based on a lot of different factors and each company gives you a different price.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭JUSTsomeBLOKE!

when i was doing driving lessons i got 1 year free NCB, going to be going for full licence in the coming months, just need a change of car

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get your full licence first before you even bother looking would be my advice. It'd hard enough to insure a car like that as it is.

You'll need to ring around and see who bites; very few will. I'm 31 with a full clean license and a full NCB and only a small handful of insures will talk to me about my Integra. Liberty and AXA quoted me last year but only because I was over 30. Other than that your best bet is brokers. I rang around a few in the Kildare area and they were able to get me some quotes, albeit nothing that I was prepared to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i wouldn't be too hopeful.

i have 5+ years no claims and a full license and it's hard to find companies even willing to talk about insuring my glanza, never mind for a reasonable price. dreading this years renewal now that the car is over 15 years of age i think i might have to throw in the towel with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Get a list of insurance brokers and let them do the leg work. They'll have more persuasive powers than the average gob$hit that's given extortionate prices for insurance every year (that includes me :pac:)

Full licence mandatory.

I'll be ringing around next week to see if I can get anywhere with them I know there's slim chance of it happening but always worth a go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

when i was doing driving lessons i got 1 year free NCB, going to be going for full licence in the coming months, just need a change of car

Is that a new thing do a few lessons and get a years NCB. I don't think that is very fair tbh.

well i had to do those EDT lessons anyway so when i seen it i went for it, i wasnt going to say no

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

well i had to do those EDT lessons anyway so when i seen it i went for it, i wasnt going to say no

Are they special lessons?

I remember when I bought my first car. Went to view car with my sister bought it and drove it home never had a lesson or nothing. Don't even think I was insured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

From working in insurance my advice would be to try and transfer the current insurance onto the glanza. If you call them and say you have bought the car and need to transfer the insurance to the glanza a lot of companies will take on cars that they ordinarily wouldn't

From working in insurance my advice would be to try and transfer the current insurance onto the glanza. If you call them and say you have bought the car and need to transfer the insurance to the glanza a lot of companies will take on cars that they ordinarily wouldn't

well the car i am driving at the moment its NCT is just up i wont be putting it through again so ill stop driving it.. how would it affect my NCB for the next time i get insured as i am only about 6 months into this years insurance? does it continue from where i last cancelled my insurance? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

well the car i am driving at the moment its NCT is just up i wont be putting it through again so ill stop driving it.. how would it affect my NCB for the next time i get insured as i am only about 6 months into this years insurance? does it continue from where i last cancelled my insurance? thanks

Some companies will let you postpone your cover until you get a new car, others will have you cancel it. If you cancel it you'll only be able to use full years NCB when re-applying so you'd lose the 6 months

Some companies will let you postpone your cover until you get a new car, others will have you cancel it. If you cancel it you'll only be able to use full years NCB when re-applying so you'd lose the 6 months

alright thanks for the info

Just be careful with this tactic. While they might transfer the policy across (might, no guarantees), there is nothing to stop them turning around at renewal time and asking for an extortionate amount to renew. I have seen it happen to several guys before.

Personally if it were me I would want to be sure that I have a quote for a new policy that I can afford before buying a car like a Glanza.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

djimi wrote: »
    Just be careful with this tactic. While they might transfer the policy across (might, no guarantees), there is nothing to stop them turning around at renewal time and asking for an extortionate amount to renew. I have seen it happen to several guys before.

Personally if it were me I would want to be sure that I have a quote for a new policy that I can afford before buying a car like a Glanza.

Have seen it happen. Cousin chanced his arm with a Legacy B4 on the remainder of the policy, about three months. Got a quote of 3500 euro come renewal. He sold the car shortly afterwords.

Most are going to quote extortionate prices for a Galanza with a licence, let alone a learner permit.

Well since this doesn't look too promising for me at the moment but would a gt starlet be pretty much the same circumstances?

Well since this doesn't look too promising for me at the moment but would a gt starlet be pretty much the same circumstances?

I would have thought so, yes.

As bad as it might sound, your best bet would probably be to buy something cheap and small, pass your test, keep your nose clean for a while and then look around again. I mean, if you look hard enough you probably will find someone who will cover you to some capacity on a Glanza/Starlet Turbo now, but you will most likely end up paying multiples of what the car is worth for cover until you have a full license and have built up some proper experience.

Advertisement