Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI-Grant Applications Open for 2012

• 12-06-2012 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Student Universal Support Ireland is now up and running for NEW grant applications:

https://www.grantsonline.ie/eseries/

People currently in receipt of a grant should contact their original grant provider if continuing into the next year of their course. If you aren't sure where to apply contact SUSI:

Where can I contact SUSI?

As part of SUSI’s support to students, there is a SUSI Support desk available in the lead up to and following the launch of the online application system for both email and telephone queries. You can email the SUSI Support Desk at support@susi.cdvec.ie

Or telephone us at 0761 08 7874

The SUSI Support Desk will be available from 9.00am-10.00pm (Monday-Friday) and 9.00am-6.00pm (Saturdays)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

Due to essential maintenance the site is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Any updates on this perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Hi
    Am applying as a mature student, completed the SUSI online application but no contact since June 12.
    I emailed SUSI's contact email about developments and just got this reply this afternoon:

"..Dear X,
    Thank you for your e-mail.
    All applications submitted are being reviewed at the moment. You will receive a letter either provisionally approving your grant application or declining it shortly.

You can appeal the decision made if you are not satisfied with the result.
    Should you require further assistance do not hesitate to contact us on 0761087874.

Kind Regards,
    Y
    SUSI Support Desk "

(Note: X = My name, Y = SUSI contact, have left off the paste for privacy)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

just filled out my application, i've accepted a place as a mature student but also qualify for Back to education allowance so have applied in the hope of having my fee's waived etc was talking to them on the helpline and they said it should take about 3-4weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    just filled out my application, i've accepted a place as a mature student but also qualify for Back to education allowance so have applied in the hope of having my fee's waived etc was talking to them on the helpline and they said it should take about 3-4weeks

I am in the same boat and in the process of applying. Thanks for the info. I should have all the details I need by tomorrow.

Quick tip for anyone applying. Do so in Internet Explorer. I was using Firefox and it was giving me some trouble. Trying to enter data into different fields was asking for trouble, just in case anyone has any problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

Hi all

I am a mature heading into 3rd year i receive BTEA during the year
    this is my first year applying to have my fees paid

i just filled out the online application there on the 15th last sunday - now i have been talking to lots of people

and i know that the susi is going to send out application forms - but this office is doing it for the whole country !! -

so why have they not sent out the forms yet - we have 8 weeks until im back to the IT - i don't understand why they are leaving it so late ?? there is hundreds of thousands of students - how are they going to process all these application forms ??

i never applied for a grant before but i heard even when you were applying to local vec there was big delays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

I'm a mature student going into 3rd year in UCC, in receipt of BTEA, i have had my registration fees paid for last 2 yrs. When I checked on Cork County Council website, it says if you are currently in receipt of grant you apply to the local council same as before and when I click where it says 'click here' I'm redirected to SUSI, very confused as to where I'm supposed to apply for my grant.

Could anyone shed any light on where/Who I'm supposed to send in my application?

Thanks a mill, J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

jewell wrote: »
    I'm a mature student going into 3rd year in UCC, in receipt of BTEA, i have had my registration fees paid for last 2 yrs. When I checked on Cork County Council website, it says if you are currently in receipt of grant you apply to the local council same as before and when I click where it says 'click here' I'm redirected to SUSI, very confused as to where I'm supposed to apply for my grant.

Could anyone shed any light on where/Who I'm supposed to send in my application?

Thanks a mill, J

Hi Jewell,

Yes its Cork CC that should be covering your grant this year. Did they send you out a letter regarding any changes in circumstances since your last application?
    Afaik there is no online application for VEC or County Council grants this year.
    Perhaps you could give the Corporate Affairs office in Cork CC a ring: (021) 4285519.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Hi guys,

I've a confusing situation; that I don't know what to enter on my app.
    I've organised all my paperwork - the only problem is that I've no proof of residence that goes to where I'm living.

I share a house with my brother and his girlfriend; but my bank statements have always gone to my home address and my only bill (phone) goes to my work address.

Can I still enter mature independent? Someone suggested I might be able to get a signed letter from commissioner of oaths or someone like that to state that they know I live at other address.

I'll be moving to Dublin soon for college; so I'm not sure whether to suffer thru this year and reapply for 2nd year :/

Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ghpeople wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've a confusing situation; that I don't know what to enter on my app.
    I've organised all my paperwork - the only problem is that I've no proof of residence that goes to where I'm living.

I share a house with my brother and his girlfriend; but my bank statements have always gone to my home address and my only bill (phone) goes to my work address.

Can I still enter mature independent? Someone suggested I might be able to get a signed letter from commissioner of oaths or someone like that to state that they know I live at other address.

I'll be moving to Dublin soon for college; so I'm not sure whether to suffer thru this year and reapply for 2nd year :/

Thanks a mill :)

Do you not have anything at all - tax certs? anything at all?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Do you not have anything at all - tax certs? anything at all?

Fraid not... they've always been sent to my parent's house address. I think I'll have to put down mature dependent - not hope of if being accepted tho. Maybe next year when I'm in Dub, I can just reapply for 2nd year?

Argh a lotta scrimping and saving to be done in a few weeks methinks!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

ghpeople wrote: »
    Fraid not... they've always been sent to my parent's house address. I think I'll have to put down mature dependent - not hope of if being accepted tho. Maybe next year when I'm in Dub, I can just reapply for 2nd year?

Argh a lotta scrimping and saving to be done in a few weeks methinks!! :eek:

Ghpeople, afaik if you start a course as a mature dependent candidate you keep that status for the duration of the course. So even if you have a provable independent address for 2nd year it may not be taken into account.

Oh lord! Thanks paperclip... better get onto them and see what I can do so!! Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

could you change the address with the bank and then get them to send you out a statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

jewell wrote: »

Thanks a mill, J

Hey , SUSI is only for new applicants , Existing applicants contact their relevant VECS . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

Hey , is that for real? I am in the same boat as ghpeople. I moved out last month to live with my sister. I know this year I will acessed as a mature dependent as i have not been living long enough away. However I thought I would be okay for next year (2013/2014), as I would have the relevant documents to prove I was living away. .... thanks for the heads up!

I have applied as mature dependent myself. I assumed I would be able to qualify independent next year. That's ridiculous that I need to be judged by my parents means for the full 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Monkey Sampan

Did anyone else have error issues on the part where Social Welfare payments are added?

I kept getting this message and taught it was completely stuck at 56%

34g27w2.jpg

I ended up having to switch between two tabs with the same session open until one become responsive again
    Only then could I selecte what I needed, close the error messages and log-on whenever it froze me out

Still, at least it's not as bad as heading into the Cork VEC every day for a few months like I had to years ago

^ As I said on the first page, use internet explorer. I was getting some gyp with Firefox. IE worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Monkey Sampan

Shryke wrote: »
    ^ As I said on the first page, use internet explorer. I was getting some gyp with Firefox. IE worked perfectly.

That's advice you don't hear often :D

I was using Chrome which is normally very smooth, Firefox has a habit of crashing on me at the worst moments

I've it done either way, hopefully it's just teething problems

• Registered Users Posts: 23 meabhaline

Guys i am having an issue too.

So i have been living in Dublin independently for 10 years. I applied as an independent mature student. Got all the bumph back from SUSI saying i have to provide lots of documents!
    one of them is proof of independent living from October 2011 to July 2012. I have bills from the apartment I rented until march but because i broke up with my boyfriend i had to get a place in a hurry. I'm now renting a room in an apartment with two girls, i'm not on a the lease or any bills.

Sent a mail explaining my situation to SUSI and got a reply with pretty much copy and paste of the documents required list and a comment saying if i didn't have them i could not be assessed as an independent mature student. I felt like crying.
    I gave them a call and got a lovely guy on the phone who was very understanding but that it was essentially up to assessor that opened the envelope on the day. He suggested i include copies of my CAO correspondence and old leases (that for some reason i randomly kept) along with a detailed cover letter stating my sudden and unplanned change in living circumstances in March. I'm just waiting on P21s then i am going to write the letter and hope i appeal their better side on the day.

Living in Dublin for 10 years on my own and i not having documents for 5 months is going to stop me being considered for a grant i badly need.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 OMAR_COMING

meabhaline wrote: »

So i have been living in Dublin independently for 10 years. I applied as an independent mature student. Got all the bumph back from SUSI saying i have to provide lots of documents!
    one of them is proof of independent living from October 2011 to July 2012. I have bills from the apartment I rented until march but because i broke up with my boyfriend i had to get a place in a hurry. I'm now renting a room in an apartment with two girls, i'm not on a the lease or any bills.

Sent a mail explaining my situation to SUSI and got a reply with pretty much copy and paste of the documents required list and a comment saying if i didn't have them i could not be assessed as an independent mature student. I felt like crying.
    I gave them a call and got a lovely guy on the phone who was very understanding but that it was essentially up to assessor that opened the envelope on the day. He suggested i include copies of my CAO correspondence and old leases (that for some reason i randomly kept) along with a detailed cover letter stating my sudden and unplanned change in living circumstances in March. I'm just waiting on P21s then i am going to write the letter and hope i appeal their better side on the day.

Living in Dublin for 10 years on my own and i not having documents for 5 months is going to stop me being considered for a grant i badly need.

Im in the exact same situation :(

I know, it just seams so unfair.

Fingers crossed :)

Still I have just two weeks left at work and then a week off before registration, WHHHOOOOOPPPPP

• Registered Users Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

meabhaline wrote: »

Do you not have anything at all in your new address - mobile phone bills? tax? employment?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Do you not have anything at all in your new address - mobile phone bills? tax? employment?[/Quote]

I only have my letters from cao. It will have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

can you not contact your old landlord and get him to write a letter to say that you were living there ?
    if he was registered with the prtb he should have you listed , they sent me another letter there a month ago to say that my landlord registered me i requested it on the website
    they say on the website they wont sent it but they did for me

is your ex that bad - have ye any mutual friends in the house that might get your letters for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I filled out the online application a few days ago. I dont recall anything about applying for a specific grant for fees or whatever. Starting to wonder now if I had done it right.

I just fill out the online application and they will decide what to give me right ? I dont have to specify I'm only after this or that. Yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Scioch wrote: »

I just fill out the online application and they will decide what to give me right ? I dont have to specify I'm only after this or that. Yeah ?

They pretty much decide what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

So I got provisionally accepted at the start of august. I sent off all my paperwork about a week later and have yet to receive any info from SUSI. I know its a busy time for them etc, but a lot of my college services are being withheld from me because my Student Fees have not yet been paid.

They (NUIM) refuse to give me a student card until the fees are paid which pretty much means I am not able to access things like the Library, Gym, Certain workshops were I have classes. Its a pain, although Im not sure if my beef lyes with SUSI or NUIM.

Has anybody got any hard correspondence back saying "congrats you will be recieving your fees in such and such ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    So I got provisionally accepted at the start of august. I sent off all my paperwork about a week later and have yet to receive any info from SUSI. I know its a busy time for them etc, but a lot of my college services are being withheld from me because my Student Fees have not yet been paid.

They (NUIM) refuse to give me a student card until the fees are paid which pretty much means I am not able to access things like the Library, Gym, Certain workshops were I have classes. Its a pain, although Im not sure if my beef lyes with SUSI or NUIM.

Has anybody got any hard correspondence back saying "congrats you will be recieving your fees in such and such ?"

No-one's got anything like that. At the moment it looks like the people furthest along in the process are being asked for their course details which seems to be the last thing they need before finally saying if you get a grant for sure or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »

My beef is defintely with SUSI. They are unbelievably slow and inept. I cannot believe how many people are still waiting for a final decision. NO-ONE has received this. Its an absolute a f**k up.

Advertisement