Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe and Keith breakfast show

Options
  • 07-10-2012 5:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

Eh is that Spin's Joe and Keith from a few years back????

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Eh is that Spin's Joe and Keith from a few years back????

Yep and they're less funny now than they were then. There's a particularly cringeworthy video in the other thread on here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chianti

Got to 715 with these two clowns (sorry clowns are funny), gob****es, and could take no more. For someone to make Pat Courtney seem less irritating in the morning takes some doing. So long Phantom, it was good while it lasted but you've made a mess of a once great radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

I've been listening for the last 40 mins and I think they are grand to be honest. First time in years I've listened to phantom on a weekday morning and I haven't considered punching the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

only caught about 15mins. thought it was **** tbh. not even annoying, just bleeeeehh. had a bit where they read out Facebook updates from other people over the weekend. not even funny or particularly stupid ones, just mundane BS.
    at least when Richie/Michelle/Charlotte did similar type of segments, there was a bit of fun involved, the 2 lads were just a chore to listen to.
    probably tune in a few more times over the next couple of weeks to see if they've gotten into the hang of things, but I doubt I'll be too impressed.

if they just played music all the time and STFU i'd tune in all morning, but no danger of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Kinda agree with the above, not particularly bad or good, just middle of the road. But at least I can listen to it, unlike that inane gob****e that kept going on about GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Yeah I was expecting it to be unbearable but it wasn't. I'll give it a chance. Tend to listen mainly between between 7 and 8 and all I want is a bit of decent music, the news headlines, maybe a bit from the papers without trying to be hilarious about it. That's all.

I think it was a good ploy letting the other 2 fill in for the 3 weeks before this started.

One thing that did annoy me was all their talk about the old team being back together. I have never listened to spin and had no idea(before reading on this forum) about the Keith and Joe show and I'm guessing most listeners would be in the same boat so it seemed a bit pointless..and annoying.

So it's on trial for me for now. Any mention of prank calls though and that's it for me and phantom.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Terrible stuff really but what else is there in the morning? One person text in this morning saying that they were like the Glen Whelan and Keith Andrews of radio. Had to laugh at that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mixed reception it seems. I know this because the Phantom FM twitter account has taken it upon itself to retweet every god damn mention of it into my time line. I followed 98fm for a few days the other week because I wanted to win a Leinster jersey and they were terrible, always tweeting inane nonsense and RTing praise. I quickly unfollowed, to hell with the Leinster jersey. I've noticed that Phantom is becoming a lot more like that this past few weeks. I know they need to widen their audience or whatever but it just seems like it's changed completely almost over night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I gave it a chance but it's unlistenable.

As noted above, it's just like the 98FM morning show (or is it FM104, probably doesn't matter), the objective is to be wacky at all costs and hope one or two of the gags land.

Just had a look at the Phantom twitter feed and to their credit, they're re-tweeting the criticism too. No such thing as bad publicity maybe but there is such a thing as bad radio. I'll come back in a few weeks and maybe they won't be trying quite so hard to be side-splittingly hilarious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I never felt like Richie and Michelle were setting out with the intention of being funny. They just got on well and sort of bounced off each other, which is usually how the best partnerships work. I feel like this lot are going in with the sole aim of being wacky and hilarious and that's just not my cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I am so happy they're back! I loved them on spin! Listened in this morning, they're a bit more subdued than they were on spin, but I guess that's to play to the phantom crowd. Not sure half their old antics would go down well in their new home but who cares....they're baaaaaccck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Moghead wrote: »
    I've been listening for the last 40 mins and I think they are grand to be honest. First time in years I've listened to phantom on a weekday morning and I haven't considered punching the radio.

Glad you've found something to listen to.
    But, for the rest of us who did like old shows it was mostly because it wasn't the usual wacky/chirpy breakfast radio being pumped out by the rest of the stations.
    Personally, I'm not a morning person, and find 'funny banter' being forced on me irritating. Although I can't really take it at any point in the day (feckin Foley n the likes). Maybe i'm just a moany bollox, but that's not the point
    :pac:

DavyD_83 wrote: »

Glad you've found something to listen to.
    But, for the rest of us who did like old shows it was mostly because it wasn't the usual wacky/chirpy breakfast radio being pumped out by the rest of the stations.
    Personally, I'm not a morning person, and find 'funny banter' being forced on me irritating. Although I can't really take it at any point in the day (feckin Foley n the likes). Maybe i'm just a moany bollox, but that's not the point
    :pac:

Thanks, I'm glad I found something bearable in the mornings to listen to too.

I'm not a morning person myself but I thought the old morning show on phantom was one of the worst culprits for 'funny banter' and forced whackiness. Only reason I kept coming back was that the music was more bearable than the other stations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Man, Moghead has had so many pops at me I'm starting to think I took his mother out for a steak dinner and never called her afterwards.

I'm starting to think you pooped in his refrigerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Why bother with a "breakfast show" at all - like a poster said above I'd quite happily listen to music with a little bit of news or something - as it now stands I don't turn on the radio until John Caddell comes on. But I can't be critical of Joe & Keith as I have never heard them but if the show is anything like that BLOODY AWFUL ADVERT that was all over Phantom last week with one of their Mammy's talking about Nursing Homes I'm never going to listen EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

On the bus in this morning (listening to Radio 1), just flicked onto Facebook on my phone; Phantom had posted "Today's big question, what did you have for your dinner?"

So now not only am I not listening to the station, I've 'unliked' them on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

These two are awful morons!
    I went on holidays and i've come back to find the last morning radio refuge gone, what happened to Richie and Michelle?

P.S.
    Joe and Keith if your reading this - You suck!

I think the fact they're embracing the criticism is making the show even more unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Joe & Keith investigate 'White Boards' this morning, do you have one in your gaff?

Who put these morons on the radio?? :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The more I listen to them the more annoying they get. Especially that Joe muppet. He doesn't seem to be able to utter a single sentence without trying to sound funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Have stopped listening to Phantom since Richie and Michelle and most importantly Pearl's Sunday show are gone. Waste of time, this thread has only made me more glad to have done so. Sadly there's no-one else worth listening to so just listen to my own music now.

I didn't tune in since monday. Reading the above I'm really glad. Have been tuning into Dublin City instead for the drive in. The music is pretty good for the most part.

RichieMc wrote: »
    Man, Moghead has had so many pops at me I'm starting to think I took his mother out for a steak dinner and never called her afterwards.

Wow. You should quit radio and start writing jokes for Brendan O'Connor on The Saturday Show.

I wasn't criticising you, I don't know you. I was criticising the show you were on. I'm sure you recall you weren't the only person on the show. I didn't like the tone and humour of the show. I felt that when you and your colleagues spoke about a subject it was quite often bitchy, condescending and unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

I actually like the new breakfast show. Nothing against Richie and Michelle but I think conversation between Joe and Keith is less forced. I'd prefer if they played more music though. It's why people listen to Phantom in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Wow. You should quit radio and start writing jokes for Brendan O'Connor on The Saturday Show.

I wasn't criticising you, I don't know you. I was criticising the show you were on. I'm sure you recall you weren't the only person on the show. I didn't like the tone and humour of the show. I felt that when you and your colleagues spoke about a subject it was quite often bitchy, condescending and unfunny.

Thanks for the compliment on my joke-making ability, but I don't think even Brendan O'Connor would settle for a gag that's been lifted almost word-for-word from the movie Anchorman. I'm merely speculating.

And thank you for the (repeated) feedback on the show. I just felt I needed to respond to you personally, as the overwhelming majority of your posts seem to be about said show, which has now been off air for a month. Quite why you have such an axe to grind about it still is beyond me, but sure, each to their own.

All the best, Moghead

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sabscababs

I moved away to England and have been missing Phantom so much, now that I can't listen to it while driving. I was really looking forward to moving home next year and getting back into the swing of my usual (Pure!) morning routine. I didn't listen every day (sometimes a lady likes her serious news shows of a morning!), but I loved tuning in for the craic they had.

Personally, I was disappointed when Charlotte moved to producer role (only because I loved her on air with Richie, and preferred their banter), but that's a moot point now; the fact that they're all gone is a downer. (I liked Michelle too, for the record.)

I always loved Joe and Keith on Spin back in college (no point in denying it), and was excited when I heard they were going to be presenting together again. However, I had thought there was simply a change in schedule; I'd no idea so many were being let go from/leaving Phantom. It's not good news, and is yet another example of trying to fix things that aren't broken.

Richie, so sorry to hear the news. I hope it becomes a positive step for you, and that brilliant radio things come your way. The same to Charlotte and Michelle.

I include this slightly alternative, cool emoticon as a homage to your good selves; look at him there, wearing shades and all! Best of luck, Pure Morning crew! You'll be missed.x

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    I didn't tune in since monday. Reading the above I'm really glad. Have been tuning into Dublin City instead for the drive in. The music is pretty good for the most part.

The music on the evening show is way better. John Neary is exactly what a radio dj should be. Gives traffic reports (that's the main focus of his show), has a bit of craic and plays better music than phantom has done for years.

lordgoat wrote: »
    The music on the evening show is way better. John Neary is exactly what a radio dj should be. Gives traffic reports (that's the main focus of his show), has a bit of craic and plays better music than phantom has done for years.

I know :) Been listening on and off for a few years. I agree John Neary is very good(surprised he hasn't been head-hunted tbh) and plays some great music. Also love the friday quiz!!

The morning not as good but not too bad either and better than phantom and nova imo. You just tune out the traffic reports - traffic's always building at M1 J4 Donabate in the mornings and at the ball at Naas on the way home :D So it's Dub City/ipod for the drive to and from work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Unfortunately I cant abide the guy on nova breakfast, 5 minutes of him and i'm in a bad mood for the day, the tunes on nova are generally good but i just cant take that guy!
    Newstalk can be very informative but it makes me feel old!

F**k the radio people anyway, ruining it for the rest of us!

@ RichieMc - Please let us know when you find a new radio home and bring Charlotte with ya, you guys are gas - Good luck in the future!!

Advertisement