Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Emulated Console

• 28-10-2001 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Okey Dokey. Take your time to post your favourite emulator, as well as the system.

For me it would have to be the Super Nintendo - Zsnes.

Perfect balance of gameplay, graphics and sound without being too 'newskool' :D

Whats your Favourite emulated console/system? 48 votes

MAME
    2% 1 vote
    Genesis/Megadrive
    33% 16 votes
    Master System/Game Gear
    16% 8 votes
    Neo Geo
    0% 0 votes
    NES
    8% 4 votes
    Super Nintendo/Gameboy Advance
    0% 0 votes
    Nintendo 64
    35% 17 votes
    Gameboy
    0% 0 votes
    Playstation
    2% 1 vote
    Other (Not just consoles)
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

SNES/AGB

Because they're the best consoles ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

SNES probably because i cant find any good N64 ROMS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

MAME! the one and only all the games it accepts and runs are great brings back all the memories of blowing my savings on the arcade boxes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well, I've got MAME, but I can't find any of the arcade games I used to play a lot (apart from street fighter 2 and golden axe)... I'm really more of a console fan, arcade games are a waste of money...
    especially now...
    IR£1 for 2 minutes of SEGA Rally? could I be arsed paying that?
    Hell no.

I voted SNES - it's probably the console I've had the most fun with over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I cant believe ATARI is not on the list!!!!!

Atari 2600 is my FAVOURITE console of the 80s (Colecovision is #2)

I also like my C64 -- I can play MS pacman and more on that :) (99% the same as the arcade version)

I havent ever tried MAME,i saw its only 7megs but i still havent gotton round to trying it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Wow, up from the depths comes...this thread! :D Not a huge console person so I'm going to go with Final Burn because of it's association with CPS2 Emulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I own all of those consoles so don't need to emulate any of them ;)

The only one of the above I would use is MAME as there are only so many arcade boards an apartment can hold :(

/edit 28-10-2001?! Was atavan even alive then?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

A 9 year old zombie thread yay!!!:D

For me it has to be Mame.Use to play a lot on the PS1 but could never get the emulator to work:o

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Use to play a lot on the PS1 but could never get the emulator to work:o

And there still not that simple to set up imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah it's not that difficult. With ePSXe You just need to get the ps1 bios from a dodgy source and configure the video/sound drivers. Then you're good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I find PS1 emu's absoloute cack to use. Same with N64. How can Mame be classed as a system? There is only one, Gens :pac: Aaaahhhh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I love MAME as it means I can play arcade games that I couldn't afford to play/complete when I was a kid. Like all those beat 'em ups (AvP, Cap Commando, Final Fight etc) .......although it was great playing the console ones as well

I love re-playing SNES games but arcade games synch it! Plus MKII arcade :pac::pac::pac:

one day I will own you and KI arcade cabinets!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I love playing the GB/GBC emu via a flash cart on my GB Micro, gorgeous screen, perfect controls, massive playlist of titles, it's perfect!

jaykhunter wrote: »

one day I will own you and KI arcade cabinets!

Already half way there muwhahahaha. :cool:

I think CCS64 and Vice need a mention. There two of the first emulators I ever used. Ahhh Re-living the glory days of my c64 gaming....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

9 year old thread revival. is that a record?

personally, i go with Caprice for Amstrad 464 emulation, followed closely by ZSNES, mainly just to play Mario World over and over and over and over and over again..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Depending on my mood its a toss up between SNES, Megadrive and Commodore 64 for me.

Unless ScummVM counts as an emulator, in which case that too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SNES, pretty much perfectly emulated and it's what got me into retro games and I was following the snes emulator development scene from the early days and still remember people trying to get the extra chips in the snes carts decrypted and emulated.

djimi wrote: »
    Depending on my mood its a toss up between SNES, Megadrive and Commodore 64 for me.

Unless ScummVM counts as an emulator, in which case that too!

ScummVM counts in my book! I play Sam & Max and BASS on my Nokia N900 :)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SNES, pretty much perfectly emulated and it's what got me into retro games and I was following the snes emulator development scene from the early days and still remember people trying to get the extra chips in the snes carts decrypted and emulated.

I know the feeling. The golden age of emulation when Pc's with the power to emulate all these systems started to appear. I remember waiting for The New Zeland story to be emulated and then of course CPS2, CPS3 and the later Neo Geo games. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember when the golden age died as well. The guy that was developing Final Burn the first CPS2 emulator started getting death threats in the mail for not having gotten some games emulated on final burn when he was still developing it and he ended up giving it up. Sad times.

Thats totally insane!!!!!

He didnt have to do that for ANYONE!! (Sounds as if people were taking advantage of him (i dont blame him for giving it up!))

The one big problem with emulators is: MOST OF THEM DONT LOCK CPU SPEED @ GAME PLAY!! (The games dont play @ the right speed as a result)

Two EMU programs i have do: COLECOVISION AND ATARI (Coleco locks the cpu @ 3.58Mhz and Atari locks it @ 1.19Mhz during play resulting in exact console speed)

Why dont all of them lock the cpu speed? (Doesnt make sense)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Why are you grouping SNES and GBA together?

They're completely different systems.

I voted MAME for sheer number of games available, but Final Burn Alpha is better for most fighting games.

I think I've fallen in love with Dosbox as well. Just wish there was a similar program for Windows 95/98.

Why are you grouping SNES and GBA together?

They're completely different systems.

I voted MAME for sheer number of games available, but Final Burn Alpha is better for most fighting games.

I'm afraid you wont be getting a reply. Kario is an old moderator of this forum and hasn't posted since last year :eek:

Retr0 I've used Vmware and Virutal PC to bring 95/98 back to life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SNES, as the associated translation scene exposed me to Square/Enix JRPGs like Seiken Densetsu 3 & Front Mission, plus it would've been impossible for my poor young self to play US Chrono Trigger any other way.
    And then there were the hacks like 2-player Secret of Evermore, and the Secret of Mana patch which made the text ALMOST as good as the German localisation :p

Hmmm... now I want to play with Classic Controllers...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dude111 wrote: »
    Thats totally insane!!!!!

He didnt have to do that for ANYONE!! (Sounds as if people were taking advantage of him (i dont blame him for giving it up!))

The one big problem with emulators is: MOST OF THEM DONT LOCK CPU SPEED @ GAME PLAY!! (The games dont play @ the right speed as a result)

Two EMU programs i have do: COLECOVISION AND ATARI (Coleco locks the cpu @ 3.58Mhz and Atari locks it @ 1.19Mhz during play resulting in exact console speed)

Why dont all of them lock the cpu speed? (Doesnt make sense)

STOP SHOUTING!
    OVERUSE OF CAPITAL LETTERS TO WRITE POSTS IS JUST ANNOYING!
    WE CAN ALL GET YOUR POINT IF YOU JUST WRITE/TYPE in normal font.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I voted playstation since I discovered emulation after all my ps1 games were robbed and it saved me trying to replace them all/go on a vigilante suicide mission into Dublin's seedy underbelly.

Then ZSNES of course, for Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and all the other games I missed as a kid.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    STOP SHOUTING!
    OVERUSE OF CAPITAL LETTERS TO WRITE POSTS IS JUST ANNOYING!
    WE CAN ALL GET YOUR POINT IF YOU JUST WRITE/TYPE in normal font.
    Im sorry buddy.. Is this better? (I reckon it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Well mame is more arcade than console isn't it? UNless you count arcades as consoles themselves.

MAME simply can't be beat.

Ps1 has the best games of any system ever in my opinion but

kegafusion is a megadrive,mega cd,32x emulator that works awesomly.
    ZSNES is awesome too but it's interface is horrendous

So far the best host machine for emulators, outside of PCs, has been the Xbox, which is ultimately still a PC.
    But the Wii is turning out to be a fantastic machine for emulation, getting a headstart from the good emus on the GC.
    Coupled with the classic controller and SD card support its a combo that's hard to beat.

• Advertisement

So far the best host machine for emulators, outside of PCs, has been the Xbox, which is ultimately still a PC.
    But the Wii is turning out to be a fantastic machine for emulation, getting a headstart from the good emus on the GC.
    Coupled with the classic controller and SD card support its a combo that's hard to beat.

Advertisement