Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ssangyong kyron reviews ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

I wouldn't be so sure about that, there are plenty of people out there who have been burned by german marques often questionable reliability, expensive repairs and generally terrible customer service and are looking for alternatives.

Every car marque have issues you only have to loook at Toyota and the major cock-up they had. If something similar happens with KIA and they have to honour the 7 year warranty it could see them go bankrupt.

For people that just want A-B transport the KIA may well be an attractive offer.

For people that want to buy a badge the wouldn't touch KIA/Hyundai with a barge poll.

Then, for people that enjoy their car as more than just a mode of transport the Koreans won't get a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Twin-go wrote: »
    Then, for people that enjoy their car as more than just a mode of transport the Koreans won't get a second thought.

I'd buy a Pro C'eed tomorrow if I had the money. But then again, I've driven one and am not going off what someone said down the pub, in the 80's.

Must mean I don't enjoy cars and just see driving as an A-B chore. Probably wrong choice of career so - thank's for clearing this all up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I think you are very wrong. Have you seen or driven the new Sportage? Ex Audi man at the helm of design and it shows, the car is very desirable and Kia can't make enough of them. If this is a sign of what's coming Kia is going to be huge.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'd buy a Pro C'eed tomorrow if I had the money. But then again, I've driven one and am not going off what someone said down the pub, in the 80's.

Must mean I don't enjoy cars and just see driving as an A-B chore. Probably wrong choice of career so - thank's for clearing this all up for me.

Which one would you buy? and why would you choose over a Golf/Focus/Astra?

I think you are very wrong. Have you seen or driven the new Sportage? Ex Audi man at the helm of design and it shows, the car is very desirable and Kia can't make enough of them. If this is a sign of what's coming Kia is going to be huge.

I've seen it alright but have not driven it. Any review I've read say that perfomance, ride and handeling don't compare favourably to the competition. Equipment and Price make it value for money though. I buy my cars based on performance and ride before equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

1.6D.

Cheaper and better equipped than the other's. Cracking engine (much better than the abysmal Opel Diesels, Torquier (?) than the other 2). Handling is on par with the Golf, not quite up to the Focus or Astra, but not a million miles away.

I also think it's the best looking - until the new Astra GTC is launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Because its cheaper, has a much longer warranty and is known anywhere it is sold, having been reported on by thousands of people with actual knowalage on the subject, as being every bit as good as its rivals!

R.O.R wrote: »
    1.6D.

Cheaper and better equipped than the other's. Cracking engine (much better than the abysmal Opel Diesels, Torquier (?) than the other 2). Handling is on par with the Golf, not quite up to the Focus or Astra, but not a million miles away.

I also think it's the best looking - until the new Astra GTC is launched.

Fair enough, but it will also depreciate quicker so the cheaper part is relative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Fair enough, but it will also depreciate quicker so the cheaper part is relative.

You'll pay top money for a decent year or two year old one.

Because its cheaper, has a much longer warranty and is known anywhere it is sold, having been reported on by thousands of people with actual knowalage on the subject, as being every bit as good as its rivals!

Who are these thousands of people with "Actual Knowledge"?

I just don't think Cheaper and longer Warranty = Better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Are you saying more expensive and shorter warranty is better then?

Have you driven any of the recent models from either? They are more than capable, the real turning point being around 2006/7 with the Ceed and i30 being launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I can see the likes of this stealing many sales from VW and BMW. I remember looking at a Kia Rio in 2001 and thinking that I'd never buy a Kia. Not in a million years. My mind has been changed in recent years as they consistently launch cars that equal and often better the likes of Ford, VW, Toyota and Opel. To be honest, and from your posts you seem to be biased against the marque based on conjecture rather than actual experience.
    Ssangyong are dirt though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Motoring journalists mostly, and people who have driven them/owned them, or at the very least sat in one!:rolleyes:

Cheaper to buy and long warranty on their own don't equal better, but, when, in the case of the c'eed, they are as reliable, handle as well, are as well built, hold their value as well, are as economical to own and run AND cheaper to buy with a longer warranty then they could well be construed as 'better'.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭illegalpower

Whats great about the surge in kia and hyundai sales is that now parts will become cheaper and easily available just like ford parts and this other than the 7 year warranty is also great. The new models are fantastic value for money and very nice to look at. I'd have a sportage without a second thought and the c'eed is a brilliant little car.

Some people will never be interestd in buying from these brands not matter what they do and thats just a mind set but it looks more and more likely that these two brands are going to become the biggest in global sales over the next few years which is some achievment if you consider where they've come from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ya the Sportage is a fine machine. There is a thread here somewhere on them. Anyone who bought one seem to be very happy with them.

EPM wrote: »
    Are you saying more expensive and shorter warranty is better then?

I didn't say that:confused:
    EPM wrote: »
    Have you driven any of the recent models from either? They are more than capable, the real turning point being around 2006/7 with the Ceed and i30 being launched.

Hi have driven the Sonata in the States last year with the 2.4l 178bhp engine. Felt slow and the interior was a sea of hard plastics.

A friend of mine has a 2010 Santa Fe with a 2.0l diesel. I have driven it several times. It's big I'll give it that but the engine and interior lack refinment.

As I said in aprevious post the Hyundai Coupe didn't impress me at all.

Don't think I'm having a go at KIA and Hyundai, some recent efforts from Toyota and Nissan have felt cheap and nasty when I've have the opportunity to drive/be driven in them. And if my choice was between a Toyota Auris and a Kia Ce'ed I could be swayed to the Kia.

Of recent Asian cars I've driven only the Honda Accord 2.2d and the Lexus IS220d impressed me enough that I would be willing to spend my own money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Well from what you've described all the Hyundais you've driven are relatively old school, even the 2010 Sante Fe. Hyundai and Kia are moving fast and their new products are leagues ahead of their old muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

They are only appealing to a certain section of the market with a 7 year warranty. People that purchase car like the would a fridge or a washing machine.

The strategy looks to me to be aimed at the Japanese makes rather than the Europeans. No-one would buy an i20 above a Mini, but if it was a choice between a Yaris, new Micra or i20, I'd just kill myself
    seriously consider the Korean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 log2billy

I am sorry, but I don't know where you get all this s***e from, lads. I bought a kyron in 2006, a commercial 2.0 ltr 4*4. I put 320k kilometers on the clock, and frequently pulled up to 3 tonne, plus having a heavy set of tools loaded. I sold it when it got to small for the work in 2012. I NEVER had any trouble at all. I got her serviced on a regular interval and apart from that changed only tyres and bushings, timing belt and filters. I nearly cried when I swaped her for a Nissan van. I NEVER had any trouble and will by one again. Also, I know of two more people in my locality that have one, and they never had an issue either. So why is everyone that never had one talking them down???? My wife had a Nissan X-Trail 2.2. We had only trouble. We bought a Kia Sorento 2.5 for her after, no power, constant problem with airbag, then we bought a passat, and guess what? 5 year warranty or not, she is a 2006 and still runs like a dream! So, for all of you out there, I'D BUY THE SSANGYONG KYRON!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

log2billy wrote: »
    I am sorry, but I don't know where you get all this s***e from, lads. I bought a kyron in 2006, a commercial 2.0 ltr 4*4. I put 320k kilometers on the clock, and frequently pulled up to 3 tonne, plus having a heavy set of tools loaded. I sold it when it got to small for the work in 2012. I NEVER had any trouble at all. I got her serviced on a regular interval and apart from that changed only tyres and bushings, timing belt and filters. I nearly cried when I swaped her for a Nissan van. I NEVER had any trouble and will by one again. Also, I know of two more people in my locality that have one, and they never had an issue either. So why is everyone that never had one talking them down???? My wife had a Nissan X-Trail 2.2. We had only trouble. We bought a Kia Sorento 2.5 for her after, no power, constant problem with airbag, then we bought a passat, and guess what? 5 year warranty or not, she is a 2006 and still runs like a dream! So, for all of you out there, I'D BUY THE SSANGYONG KYRON!

We had a ssangyong, a waste of metal, glass, plastic and space if not ask me. The dealer's mechanic said that he was leaving for another franchise because he was so sick of having to deal with all the bother they brought onto him. It'd take me twenty minutes to list the faults so I'll not bother but they included, gearbox, injectors and four wheel drive system. It wasn't a Kyron in fairness though.
    They look terrible too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I am sorry, but I don't know where you get all this s***e from, lads. I bought a kyron in 2006, a commercial 2.0 ltr 4*4. I put 320k kilometers on the clock......will by one again. Also, I , I'D BUY THE SSANGYONG KYRON!

Jaysus a shill and a half or rose tinted glasses ... life's way to short to punish yourself with 320k in a kyron!

Also threads 2 years old and the kyron hasn't got any less ****tier since then

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Don't dig old up old threads please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement