Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MOTU] Curraghmore Estate Legend/Haunting

• 11-08-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Anybody know anything about the Curraghmore Estate in Portlaw? I'm pretty sure there's a legend surrounding, but I don't know it at all...is it reputed to be haunted? I had a bit of a strange experience out there, up by the round tower.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

What was the experience, if I may ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PrettyRad

Reebrock wrote: »
    What was the experience, if I may ask?

Hi Reebrock!

I was out there with my dad, it's somewhere we often go when he has days off. We usually go for a bit of a "hike" and then head back into the village for a while. Anyhow, we were walking up towards the round tower and I saw a dark shadowy figure-I could tell it was a man, but other than that it was rather vague, and even as we drew closer my eyes would not focus on him.
    My dad couldn't see anything and told my I must be going mad. Once we stopped walking I felt incredibly uneasy and uncomfortable about the place, which is unusual for me, because as I said, I've been out there countless times before.

Of course, it could easily have just been my eyes playing tricks on me, I'm not saying for definite that it was something out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

Well PrettyRad,

The legend, is along the lines of a beggar woman's son got killed by one of the earlier lords of Waterford and she placed a curse on him and the next six lords. They were all to die tragically in her curse.
    One was to fall off the tower, one was to drown, one was to be killed off his horse and so on.
    The present day lord is to be killed by his dogs i think. He travels with a doberman in his car BTW.
    These are all childhood memories and are vague to me.
    I was born and raised and still live in Portlaw.
    For your information the Tower is not in Curraghmore, That is an Coillte forestry. Curraghmore estate is way nicer for a walk than the tower hill.

J

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The curse was one I heard from my 92 year old mother. It was that none of the Lords would die in their beds.

Advertisement