Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Going it alone

• 07-03-2012 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi, after visiting the expo at the RDS last weekend i have finally decided that i want to relocate to canada as i have just lost my job as an alarm and cctv technician and cannot find more full time employment.. so provisionally i have thought about moving to the saskatchewan area as there is ample work advertised on there job sites..
    what i would like to know is, are there any other people who are going alone to canada and if so how do i go about sorting out accomodation etc before i arrive..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I moved alone but for college not work. I didn't have a place to live before I got here. Canadian rental websites are different, majority of them don't have pictures and most were asking for leases of at least 4 months so didn't want to get a bad place. Stayed in a hostel for a few nights when I got here and looked for a place.

If you email the person who put up the listing they might send you pictures though. And lease terms might be different in Saskatchewan.

Don't be worried about going alone, people are so friendly here! I was on Skype to my dad back home the other night and he was saying he read in the paper about all the opportunities for work in Saskatchewan too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Elena Martin

I was at the working abroad expo on sat too and Im heading over alone. Im an electrician and have been out of work for 3 years so im dying to get over and start working. There is a website called craiglist canada that I was looking on that gives you an idea of the price of rentals over there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

hi, after visiting the expo at the RDS last weekend i have finally decided that i want to relocate to canada as i have just lost my job as an alarm and cctv technician and cannot find more full time employment.. so provisionally i have thought about moving to the saskatchewan area as there is ample work advertised on there job sites..
    what i would like to know is, are there any other people who are going alone to canada and if so how do i go about sorting out accomodation etc before i arrive..

I think going on your own can actually be a benefit when it comes to accomodation. Most Canadian apartments/houses to rent are not furnished, so if theres a group of people, you'd probably be getting your own place and would have to kit it out from top to bottom. At least if you're on your own, you can look for a room sharing with someone who will (probably) already have all the mod cons, and all that you need to buy is stuff for the bedroom.

As far as looking for places, use kijiji or craigslist. I wouldnt sort out anything long-term before I arrive, at least until i see the place. Stay in a hostel, or better yet, look up couch surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gingersnap79

hi there did u get a job offer from the expo in the rds i was in the queue for it but want able to get in due to bein full :( i also am a electrician and would like to know if there were many companies hiring electricians , and what is the time scale to get there , would appreciate your help thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Elena Martin

hi there did u get a job offer from the expo in the rds i was in the queue for it but want able to get in due to bein full :( i also am a electrician and would like to know if there were many companies hiring electricians , and what is the time scale to get there , would appreciate your help thanks

Hiya, no I didn't get an offer, it was just manic inside. I just got the name of a few websites to go on with electricians job vacancies, they are Teck Canada , acryl and british Columbia construction association. By time scale do u mean the visa? If so its 8-10 wks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

try the job bank canada site, i sent 100s a cvs to employers and low and behold one replied back, since then he has been to the LMO and hopes to get me there for may, get your garda cert sorted first mines took two weeks to get,
    the employer even asked me if i knew any other guys that would be interested in going over,so there is lots a work out there,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

All you really need is to find a Hostel or Motel for first couple of nights. You are better to be in the city when your househunting rather than doing it from Ireland.

Going on your own I would suggest just renting a room. As someone else said the apartment should have all the essentials that way. You may have to just buy a bed.

If you rent your own place it will more than likely be completely unfurnished. You will spend time and money kitting it out. It will be easier to do this after you have been in the city for a while and know where to shop as well as where you really want to live.

Generally all lease will start on 1st of the month (some on 15th as well). This won't be as important if you just rent a room, but it really is the time that every moves so try and arrive the last few days of a month and that will give you a chance to find a place.

You should try and narrow down where in Saskatchewan you want to go. It's a huge province with a couple of major(ish) cities and some large towns. Find out where the work is and then research if thats somewhere you would like to live.
    Shoot me a PM if you want. I'm not in SK but i'm in Alberta.
    Downside to living there is that its cold in winter but it's a flat as anyplace on earth so you won't be going skiing there. Lots of snowmobiling though if that interested you.

You should try and get a lead on a few jobs before you make the move. At least apply to a few place or even phone them up. The first couple of weeks are a bitch cause you are looking for a job, a place to stay and maybe even a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Lived in Saskatchewan before, very cold in winter and Regina and Saskatoon has a very high crime rate, having said that the people were lovely and i enjoyed living there.
    The only city in Sk that has a hostel is Regina and quiet a nice hostel at that, if you go there its cheap and you should get a place to rent in no time, i was only there 2 days and found myself a house.
    There is a great Irish pub there called O Hanlons in Victoria square also.
    Food and the cost of living is actually cheaper in Sk than the rest of Canada, people told me that was because its in the middle of the country and all the trucks have to travel through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnkerry

Hi,
    I'm 28, Irish, living in Saskatoon since October, working in construction industry. If you have any questions about the place just ask and I'll help as much as I can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Just keep your wits about you. There's loads of people who like to make a bit of money out of new immigrants. If it sounds to good, it usually is.

• Advertisement

johnkerry wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm 28, Irish, living in Saskatoon since October, working in construction industry. If you have any questions about the place just ask and I'll help as much as I can. :)

Never been to Saskatoon, whats it like?
    People down in Regina used always give out about it:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

London, Ontario?

I've never been to Regina so I cant really compare the two places. Its prob just a local rivalry thing. I'd imagine the two towns are pretty similar. Both towns are supposed to have a high crime rate but in Saskatoon I can say that most crime happens in a small ten block area on the west side. People are really friendly here, they go out of there way to help....they're all amazed all these international people are now moving to their town. Just glad Winters over now , it was a freakishly warm one we just had......I keep getting told

I've never been to Regina so I cant really compare the two places. Its prob just a local rivalry thing. I'd imagine the two towns are pretty similar. Both towns are supposed to have a high crime rate but in Saskatoon I can say that most crime happens in a small ten block area on the west side. People are really friendly here, they go out of there way to help....they're all amazed all these international people are now moving to their town. Just glad Winters over now , it was a freakishly warm one we just had......I keep getting told

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Hi,
    I'm thinking of moving over for a year or so is there much work for truck drivers in the construction industry

stoeger wrote: »
    I'm thinking of moving over for a year or so is there much work for truck drivers in the construction industry

Absolutely heaps of work here in Saskatoon .....trucks everywhere. Well long haul truck drivers anyway. Have a look at this
    http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/trucker

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ger b

good man John kerry i was thinking[in a big way] of heading out that way.Is there many excavator /machine drivers needed out that way and was there much downtime due to the winter?

A friend of mine here from Ireland too brought over a few machines....he's been flat out since he came I think. I hear they usually shut down for 2 - 3 months but this year it was 3rd mildest in recorded history so i don't think they shut down for long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

We are moving in October hopefully.

I got a job at the expo.

Was wondering if anyone bought a car over there? Is the insurance cheap or dear. I have been on alot of dealer sites and the price of cars is not to bad.

Any other metal workers get job offers over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

We are moving in October hopefully.

I got a job at the expo.

Was wondering if anyone bought a car over there? Is the insurance cheap or dear. I have been on alot of dealer sites and the price of cars is not to bad.

Any other metal workers get job offers over there?

Cars arent too bad but insurance is v expensive. If you come to BC its government run. Just bring as much from your insurance there showing no claims. If you're over 5 years you get 40% in BC. I think I used to pay around 1200 a year with the 40% off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tonysea

Hi,

Hi john, are you working on the vault project in vanscoy by any chance?

No, not working there. I have got some private messages from other people who will be working there asking about Vascoy.

Is there many Irish people in Saskatoon out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 taraxxxxx

Hi my name is tara , my partner and I are hoping to get work in saskatchwan and we have a 2 year old son , my partner is a carpenter and i like the idea of that province as i dont want to move our son to a big city in canada as were used to rural towns in ireland any help on how my partner can get carpentry work would really be appreciated!!! also which is nicer regina or saskatoon ???

I think I know of twenty or so that have arrived in the last year or so...not inc. their kids! It's a big enough place (260,000 people), i'm sure there's plenty i haven't met

taraxxxxx wrote: »
    Hi my name is tara , my partner and I are hoping to get work in saskatchwan and we have a 2 year old son , my partner is a carpenter and i like the idea of that province as i dont want to move our son to a big city in canada as were used to rural towns in ireland any help on how my partner can get carpentry work would really be appreciated!!! also which is nicer regina or saskatoon ???
    what exactly do u want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I travel a lot (frequently on my own) and I've found couchsurfing.org an invaluable resource for a) meeting people and b) getting free emergency accommodation.

I can see Saskatchewan have a group on couchsurfing. You should join it as a way to get some contacts who can help you out and also meet you for beers, etc.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=291 (you might need to be logged in to couchsurfing to access the link).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 taraxxxxx

what exactly do u want to know?

ok basically i just want to no is there a demend for carpentry workers there and do you think its the right atmosphere for kids , do you just survive over there or do tou think immigrants are making money im a hairdresser , my partners a carpenter and were only surviving in ireland if were gonna go we need to be sure we wont just be surviving there too , were thinkin of going through an agent as by bringin a child theirs lots of paper work has anyone else done this??

taraxxxxx wrote: »
    ok basically i just want to no is there a demend for carpentry workers there and do you think its the right atmosphere for kids , do you just survive over there or do tou think immigrants are making money im a hairdresser , my partners a carpenter and were only surviving in ireland if were gonna go we need to be sure we wont just be surviving there too , were thinkin of going through an agent as by bringin a child theirs lots of paper work has anyone else done this??

You will do more than survive. Especially if you both work. With kids , all schools have after care for a minimal fee. I was talking to a Canadian carpenter today.The company he works for , PCL are currently trying to recruit Irish people. Google them. They're a huge company all over Canada. Any one i know who came with kids has had the company they work for do all the paper work and pay for it. It's a huge step to take, I know. I'll ask around for you if you're serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

Where I am now there are very few Irish (likely less than a dozen), and all my Anglophile contacts here are of a business nature.

Since I was moving with a job already lined up and support in my OH it wasn't too hard, but you have an advantage in being able to speak the local lingo already. I wouldn't recommend necessarily jumping into the nearest enclave of Irish abroad, but it does help to have a support structure in place to help, even if that help is only a chat and a nice mug of Barry's...

Radio stations in Ireland tend to have contacts with the Irish diaspora so why not contact Hooky or Ivan on Newstalk?

Also, for your long term mental wellbeing... if you think that the move abroad is necessary, that you will never be happy unemployed, or working bit part then fine... But don't automatically consider it as emigrating; we're in a global village these days. It often only takes a matter of hours to go back home, and only a matter of seconds via the internet to see the family/cat/dog.

Personally I think I'd like to go back to Ireland some day... But I certainly don't consider my current situation as emigration - I was offered a job, I took it, and while it's tough, it's also satisfying.

I admit my post is a touch waffly, and meanders a wee bit... But sure, isn't that the Irish way...

Advertisement