Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nanoblocks

• 26-12-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭

Ok so I know this is the Lego forum officially, but as a lifelong Lego fan I thought I'd share this as I only discovered them recently. I was in Dundrum SC (gadget shop - can't think of name) the other week and saw Nanoblocks for the first time. A MUCH smaller version of Lego which I think originates in Japan. They have some really interesting models of things around the world like Eiffel Tower, Space Station, Maoi Statues, etc etc. The bricks are absolutely tiny so you need to be careful opening packs of them, plus tricky enough to work with given the size and the instructions are shorter and therefore a little more complicated that Lego! I got the Moai Statues and they were interesting to build. Although the bricks are smaller in a way I think it's kinda like an adult Lego!

I think original Japanese website
    UK Promotional Website

nanoblock-sights-to-see-home.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Interesting.
    What's the plastic quality like though?

*edit*
    http://www.buildingtoys-japan.com/tintinrocket.html
    IMG_1055.jpg

ME GUSTA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭g0g

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Interesting.
    What's the plastic quality like though?

*edit*
    http://www.buildingtoys-japan.com/tintinrocket.html
    IMG_1055.jpg

ME GUSTA
    To be honest I've found the quality to be very good. Maybe not quite as thick a plastic as Lego, but given that it's a fraction of the size I didn't think it would be. The real potential issue is the size of bricks - especially the 1x1 cyclindrical pieces if they fall off table it's a nightmare to find them! The instructions recommend using tweezers or nose-head pliers to separate pieces! I think as a product it's more suited to adults making models than kids designing their own creations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My dad bought me one of these sets for New Year's.

While it's interesting, and the plastic quality is decent (my baseplate was mildly warped, but not horribly so) — it is a TERRIBLE toy, and not very good for building with IMHO.
    You really, REALLY need to have your design ready before you start, as taking it apart without losing bits is very, very hard.

Here's what I got:
    400896_10150565361983529_510353528_10808828_790341100_n.jpg

Finished:
    386422_10150565819803529_510353528_10812810_707645164_n.jpg

Something from the leftovers:
    395956_10150565847428529_510353528_10813098_1658247492_n.jpg

Have picked up a couple more of these since earlier in the year and to be honest I've found them all absolutely fine. I initially got the Maoi Statues and have since added the Space Shuttle, Sagrada Familia, Space Station and just ordered the Neueschwanstein (sp?) Castle. I haven't had any bent bricks or anything, but the Space Station I have to say was a balancing act setting it up - it's only any good as a model to sit on a desk/shelf. Definitely it's not a toy for playing with once built, but the building of them is still great fun!

Anyways for anyone who cares thought I'd say there are a few new sets released recently including Big Ben this week. I also found a small airport model and and airplane too, but these seem to be harder to find for sale online. The homepage of the site I listed for Big Ben has a list down the bottom showing new sets as they're released.

The saga continues!! Left-hand side includes this year's Christmas models. What I like most is the level of detail you can go into with only a small space as the bricks are so tiny. They're great for sitting on an office shelf or home shelf, but definitely not the kinda of toy kids could play with. I also think you're less likely to try and build other things from them due to the size - as a previous poster pointed out it'll be messy if I ever need to break them. Have ordered the LED baseplate to light up the 2012 Christmas House. Eiffel Tower and Mont Saint Michel are next on my list!

6r2o5.jpg
    6r2o5.jpg

• Advertisement

And more again! Got Mont Saint Michel at Christmas and the other day added the Pyramids and Angkor Wat. Looks like they've released some larger scale ones of American buildings (White nHouse, Empire State) but they cost a fair bit more than these little ones! What impresses me is that for the ones I've built every set of instructions fits onto an A4 sheet!
    sah4t.jpg

Anyone interested in buying a collection!? Cheap way to get started on Nanoblocks and there are loads more new sets since these too!

Advertisement