Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying percentages

• 22-07-2011 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm looking for opinions from people who have a few staking experiences.

It is starting to become more common amongst Irish players to charge a markup ranging from 10% to 20%. While I agree with a player who has to travel and pay for accommodation to play charge a markup to cover a proportion of these costs I dont agree with a player charging a markup for online tournaments as the main reason a person buys a percentage is that they feel the player has an edge. Many times I see someone charging a markup of 20% and showing an opr of a thousand tournaments but without the top 1 or 2 results over this large sample they either have a ROI smaller than 20% and often it could be a negative ROI.

In what situation would you buy a percentage without a markup and pass if there is a 20% markup?

Secondly, live versus online staking.

Online a player usually gets staked for multiple tournaments to be played simultaneously and this can regularly be between 6 to 12 tournaments. While a good mtt grinder can become used to this with the aid of tracking software they are obviously missing a lot of reads and opportunities to build their stack in the mid stages of a tournament that live players will be able to capitalise on, nevermind the other destractions on the internet or tv.

also there will usually be a higher percentage of weaker players in E550 to E1k live events than comparable online tournaments with a better structure in the live tournament to make the edge count.

Seeing as we are coming into the festival season here there will be a good few players selling percentages.

What are you looking for in a player and what have you learned to avoid?

whats your opinion on buying percentages in general?

A lot of percentages bought are done through pokerstars with winnings also shipped back through pokerstars. As pokerstars dont allow withdrawal of transferred funds has anyone been caught out with this and what is the standard way of buying percentages in the E100 to E200 range?

the next best thing... 9/2 on mr o'dea junior.

Comments

Advertisement