Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is too big?

• 21-03-2005 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

How fat is fat?

We've all got diffferent views on fat (the dove campaign brought that to light), but can anyone actually pinpoint how fat is fat?

You see people going round with a roll hanging out of their size 12's.
    Are they fat or just oblivious to the fact that they're probably a size bigger than what they're wearing?

Then there's that guy who couldn't leave his house for years cuz he couldn't fit through the door.
    He's lost countless pounds, he's still quite big, but is he not 'fat' anymore cuz he can walk unaided?

Just curious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

It really depends on how the person carrys their weight

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

From a male perspective big is beautiful - skinny is a little bit boring and uneventful !!

...how big ?? you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Its all relative. Do you mean overweight, unfit, dreesing in clothes too small what. There are people who would probably be considered overweight who wouldn't be. and visa versa I've got a belly which makes me "fat" but I am not overweight. According to the BMI charts, which was invented by a insurance company in order to asses(sp?) life insurance afaik, says that if you have a BMI of 25 you are overweight, and 30 is obese. The problem is that what is considsered fat is decreasing each generation you look at these classic pieces of art and the women are curvy and bigger! then the it has decreased ie the heroin chic that was popularised by the super models! the amount of teenage girls who are normal to underweight who think they are overweight is ridiculous.

Matthew

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

its all about proportion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

All valid & very diplomatic points, but what happens when a double chin starts hanging & the wiggle when you walk keeps going when you stop??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Fat is when stuff that shouldn't be wobbling wobbles.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

woohoo, watch that blubber fly!

/me slaps stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

"If it jiggles, it's fat."

Regarding your initial question, defining what it is to be "fat", in peoples common understanding of the word (the term overfat sounds better, overweight is erroneous) would be "a certain level of bodyfat that is aesthetically displeasing", simply put. That is: pot bellies, love handles, flabby arms, double chins, and so on. Moreso a combination of these things, rather than a solitary one, i.e. if you hadn't a pick on you yet had a small double chin, you wouldn't be labelled "fat".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Aesthetically it is about proportion. I'm only 5'1" so if I went up to a 12 I would start to look fat. My friend is 5'7" and looks great at a size 14.

However if your weight impairs your mobility and health, then you are too fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I think too skinny is ugly on a girl. I'm no chicken myself (6 foot and 14 stone) although I'm planning a very active summer. I hate seeing girls that haven't got anything see wobble. I know it sounds weird, but my mates agree. If a girl is chubby (to an extent) it's much nicer than skinny imo. I'm gonna slim down/tone up this summer, but I don't wanna go too skinny as I don't think it's good looking. I'm aiming for maybe 12-13 stone (crosses fingers)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

I disagree, girls should stick to the size ten and lads should be a bit bulky

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Weight (as in the number on the scale) doesn't matter, what really does matter is
    "If it jiggles, it's fat."

If that is the case for your hips, stomach, etc, then it might be time to look into fixing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

your too fatwhen you get down on the floor on your back and cant get back up again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Or you're a turtle. A fat turtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

you're too fat when you look down and can't see your feet....

whiskeyman wrote:
    you're too fat when you look down and can't see your feet....

Ooooorrrr... You've got HUGE b :p:p bs!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

Maryiln Monroe was a size 16 :eek: and she was pretty short...

Fair point ms beanbag!

Although, sizes have gone up considerably since the time of the delectable ms. monroe.
    Still, even if she was a size 14 or even 12, it's bigger than most of our current sirens!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You're wrong, skinny sticks are off putting; a little bit of something to hold on to is much nicer ( I don't mean flab! ).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

A Soul to Squeeze

Simu summed it up perfectly though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

sure a size 14 is the average size in ireland as far as i know.

again its all about how you carry it....a mate of mine put it perfectly;
    "i dont care how much i have....so long as it doesnt move"
    which is fair enough.

attitudes like "girls shoud stick to size tens" are the reason that there are so many girls out there with major issues with their bodies.

i like guys to be big because i'm no skinny-minnie myself....but i've never gotten any complaints so far. ;)

guess it all comes down to personal taste really.

sure a size 14 is the average size in ireland as far as i know.

again its all about how you carry it....a mate of mine put it perfectly;
    "i dont care how much i have....so long as it doesnt move"
    which is fair enough.

attitudes like "girls shoud stick to size tens" are the reason that there are so many girls out there with major issues with their bodies.

i like guys to be big because i'm no skinny-minnie myself....but i've never gotten any complaints so far. ;)

guess it all comes down to personal taste really.

Meaning it's all down to personal taste as long as you worship the fat ?!? Well my personal taste is that I'd cry if I had to stoop to a size 12

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

And thats why your life is pathetic and meaningless.
    Well go figure, you thought it was the fact you couldnt get a boyfriend all this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I find skinny women so unattractive - for me curves are essential.

Anything between a 12 to a size 16/18 is ok with me.
    Some 10s can look good but not tall ones.

when we were in school (1980s) a guy in my class said if you were going to date a flat-chested girl you might as well date a man.

we laughed at him then but maybe he was right all along.

And which of us was crippled then
    And which of us more painful?
    A woman pumping iron or a liberal Hell's Angel?
    Before the accident when I careered akimbo
    Through your plate glass window

And as I lay in agony from a thousand savage cuts
    You privatised the hospital and you wished me luck

And across my leather jacket it says 'Sex for the Disabled'
    And across your macho breasts 'Get fit for life'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I'm tall and thin and I prefer the same.....

But its not all looks though - don't want to sound cheesy, but for me, personality/intelligence rates high on my list......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

you look at these classic pieces of art and the women are curvy and bigger!
    I know what you mean, it's unbelievable! I know everyone says "I'm unaffected by advertising blah blah" (including myself) but when I was studying Greek art I found myself thinking "Oh my god, Aphrodite is a bit chubby". Which is weird, since Aphrodite was the goddess of love and was meant to be the most beautiful and desirable being in existence
    Look at ads for most stuff, and you'll find the women have flat stomachs, stick-thin legs and no chests - this tends to be ads for beauty products aimed at women, such as Nivea or whatever. However, ads aimed at men tend to show women with large breasts in revealing-ish outfits
    It's people like you that cause eating disorders. What if a girl is 5'10", should she still be a size ten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I'm almost 5'11" and, at my build, if I were to strive for a size 10 I'd be more than a stone underweight. Which would require some extreme-effort-starvation.

...nah.

Not to say that I couldn't do with shifting a few pounds. That's why I'm at WeightWatchers. Which I highly recommend to anyone here looking to improve their eating habits and physique. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Meaning it's all down to personal taste as long as you worship the fat ?!? Well my personal taste is that I'd cry if I had to stoop to a size 12

see you clearly didnt read my post correctly.

i did not say that its personal taste as long as you "worship the fat"....also i find it quite disturbing that you see anything over a size 10 as fat. If thats the case then surely it is you who is worshipping the skeletor-look? yes on some people a size ten might be perfect....however as the others have pointed out it depends on things such as height etc. to look at someone and deem them "fat" because they arent a size ten is tragic to say the least.

theres a difference between stating your own personal taste and making comments like "girls should stick to size tens".

it may be a tired argument, but in recent years that has been the image projected onto young women by television and advertising etc....and it is also a major factor in the amount of young women suffering from eating disorders and other body issues.

What I was trying to say was that, it's all fine and grand if your personal taste is a liking for people who are overweight but if, like me, you think that girls/women these days are a bit too comfortable accepting fat that that's not a valid opinion, I know that might offend people but I've read posts on this thread saying people find skinny girls v unattractive, so what's the diff??? I think too many women are too quick to make excuses for the fact that they are heavy, and just eat too much unhealthy food. I know there are a lot of unattainable ideals in the media..in fairness most of these women are far smaller than a 10 anyway.

• Advertisement

I think too many women are too quick to make excuses for the fact that they are heavy, and just eat too much unhealthy food. I know there are a lot of unattainable ideals in the media..in fairness most of these women are far smaller than a 10 anyway.

Whatever happened to BLOKES doing similar?

Your whole focus is on womens sizes, what about men?!

Advertisement