Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meeting ex again after 12 years

• 13-10-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

In my mid twenties, I went out with a guy for three years. We had lots in common and got on brilliantly, we were talking about getting married. However, I went through a traumatic family crisis, and moved to Australia to get away from it all. We met four times briefly over next ten years but our lives were going different directions. I married and separated. He had one relationship after me where the girl had a drink problem and treated him very poorly. He reportedly said he would never have a relationship again. He is now 54 and single. I am 47 and single with kids. I pass his old family home on the way to work each a.m. - I often thought about contacting him - I still have his number. Eventually, I did contact him - I didn't think he'd reply to my text, but he did. He said he was delighted to hear from me. I suggested coffee over Xmas when we both had a good bit of time off - he jumped at it and said he was looking forward to meeting me, that he had lots of good memories of us together. Now, I'm afraid - he said his hair was snow white now, I said I was much heavier - I've gone from a size 12 to 18! I'm really nervous about meeting now, and think I was stupid - I've known for many years that we were right for each other. I'm worried about what he will think of me now etc. and also worried that there won't be anything there between us. Help!! I've been really stupid!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Well - After 12 years of course both of you have changed!! You'd be crazy not to expect 12 years to show in one way or another...

You're just meeting an old friend for coffee aren't you? Why not just keep it light and see where it takes you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

You're better off meeting him whether or not yous rekindle the romance. Otherwise you might spend another 20 years asking yourself what might have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh how exciting! Mr. Merkin and I reunited after twelve years and were married a year later! He said I was the one that got away :) You simply cannot let your fears prevent you from meeting this guy, you said yourself you know he's the one for you so don't let nerves put you off when there is potential romance on the horizon. Go for it and good luck xx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

So you're not meeting until this Christmas? You could lose a considerable amount of weight in ~2 months, definitely a dress size or two, if it was something that was really bothering you to the point of it being a main reason in being unsure on not meeting him. You'll both be a lot different than the people you were back then so it's understandable to be nervous but you should see it as challenging yourself and look forward to meeting, a few drinks and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

From a purely female point of view:

If ever there was a reason to fork out to get your hair done that afternoon, its this.

And don't dress all in black - its not slimming, its bloody depressing.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Merkin wrote: »
    Oh how exciting! Mr. Merkin and I reunited after twelve years and were married a year later! He said I was the one that got away :) You simply cannot let your fears prevent you from meeting this guy, you said yourself you know he's the one for you so don't let nerves put you off when there is potential romance on the horizon. Go for it and good luck xx

I agree. Go for it. We met again after 16 years. Hecwasvalways my one that got away.

Take it slow but enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Hannaho wrote: »
    In my mid twenties, I went out with a guy for three years. We had lots in common and got on brilliantly, we were talking about getting married. However, I went through a traumatic family crisis, and moved to Australia to get away from it all. We met four times briefly over next ten years but our lives were going different directions. I married and separated. He had one relationship after me where the girl had a drink problem and treated him very poorly. He reportedly said he would never have a relationship again. He is now 54 and single. I am 47 and single with kids. I pass his old family home on the way to work each a.m. - I often thought about contacting him - I still have his number. Eventually, I did contact him - I didn't think he'd reply to my text, but he did. He said he was delighted to hear from me. I suggested coffee over Xmas when we both had a good bit of time off - he jumped at it and said he was looking forward to meeting me, that he had lots of good memories of us together. Now, I'm afraid - he said his hair was snow white now, I said I was much heavier - I've gone from a size 12 to 18! I'm really nervous about meeting now, and think I was stupid - I've known for many years that we were right for each other. I'm worried about what he will think of me now etc. and also worried that there won't be anything there between us. Help!! I've been really stupid!!

Oh wow. delighted for you. I think most people have that one person in their life.I certainly do and I'd kill for a chance to have this opportunity.Unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen, he's in canada now.
    But by all means girl, go for it. What a fabulous thing to look forward to.>envy<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

This is amazing. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Best of luck with thIs op. Hope it all goes well. Think we all have the one that got away. Make the most if It & most importantly enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

oh I just like every one else just want you to relax and enjoy !! my eyes are watering up here for you , I think its a lovely thing to do ,,, so excited for you !! You will melt away any worries the moment ye see one another. Time wont matter or colour of hair or body size,, its all in the eyes !!
    but no harm in a new dress/ outfit and some new underwear to make you feel great.
    you go girl !!! we are all behind you !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Definitely try to lose the bit of weight before you meet him or it could be to much of of shock for him, plenty of time if you put your mind to it like the other fella said, best of luck

Definitely try to lose the bit of weight before you meet him or it could be to much of of shock for him, plenty of time if you put your mind to it like the other fella said, best of luck

Why should she? If the OP decides to lose weight it'll be for HERSELF and not some bloke...

What a nasty, sexist backhanded comment to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Should he dye his hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Ah guys Ill play devils advocate and say maybe what he means is for her own confidence maybe if losing weight makes her feel great then go for it.....
    I love a good feel good story......best of luck op..... x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If she decides to and does it right and healthily, no bullsh!t fad diets from <MOD SNIP> magazines or starving herself, she could easily lose about 20lbs, possibly even more, between now and Christmas and that'd be a very big improvement and confidence boost. It'd take a lot of hard work but the benefits it'd have would definitely pay off and be worth it for herself.

I could probably help you OP but it wouldn't be free and it'd be through the internet, so a reputable personal trainer in your area could be a better option if you'd be more receptive to that. Also, the health and fitness forum on here and on other websites would also be really helpful.

CaraMay wrote: »
    Should he dye his hair?

If it'd make him more confident and raise his self esteem, sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

best of luck, hope it works out for you :)....keep us posted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Mod Note:
    RoscommonTom & DoYouEvenLift - suggest you both have a read of our charter before you post again.
    Similarly please do not post on this thread again.

The core thing we look for is that you give constructive advice in a civil manner. DoYouEvenLift - you use that word again in this forum and it will result in an immediate ban, we are as close to zero tolerance as you can get. RoscommonTom, having received a number of mod actions on this forum already you are dancing a thin line here.

All others - please keep your advice pertinent to the OP, if you have an issue with a post please report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Everyone, thanks very much for all your replies. It was very interesting to hear people being so positive about meeting up with an Ex. However, I decided not to go there - it was so painful to get over him the first time - even though I was the one who moved abroad because of family trauma. I'm also too embarrassed about my weight - I developed an underactive thyroid 10 years ago, and I find it very difficult to loose weight even though I am on medication for it. Again thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply - much appreciated!

Hi! Everyone, thanks very much for all your replies. It was very interesting to hear people being so positive about meeting up with an Ex. However, I decided not to go there - it was so painful to get over him the first time - even though I was the one who moved abroad because of family trauma. I'm also too embarrassed about my weight - I developed an underactive thyroid 10 years ago, and I find it very difficult to loose weight even though I am on medication for it. Again thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply - much appreciated!

Oh no!! Don't be embarrassed about your weight. It's hardly your fault if you're on meds. If he's as nice a bloke as you say, it won't even matter to him.

What's the betting he doesn't look the same as you remember him?

Get yourself back out there girl! Go and have your hair done, get a nice outfit - doesn't need to cost much and no black! And invite him out for a coffee!!

What have you got to lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi Hannaho. I agree with ABajaninCork.

I've followed this thread though I didn't contribute until now.

I think if you don't go and meet him, it might be something you'll regret.

As ABajaninCork said just meet him for coffee. If it helps give yourself an appointment in an hour or so - that way you know that if it was absolutely awful (I'm sure it won't be) you know it will only last for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Oh please please please meet him

At the very least , you'll have met an old friend and caught up. But it could be something more
    Whatever the outcome, you have nothing to loose
    Ur still the same person you were back then, so please stop worrying about your weight, and get out there

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

It’s better to regret something you did, than something you did'nt.

Go for it OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Op I met my ex after a few years, while it didn't go the way i thought it would it did give me complete closure onit. In other words any little doubts i had about it ending were finally put to rest. But if I didnt meet him I would still be wondering, I think its better to know one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ladygirl

Delighted for you Op and I also suggest you use this as an opportunity to lose a little weight. Not saying for him - but do it for yourself.. Two months is loads of time to try shift a few pounds and this is the perfect bit of motivation required to do so. A healthier you is always gonna be a happier you :)

All the best xx

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

You'll always be wondering "what if" OP. Please do meet him and if it's not what you hoped for, then at least you can rest assured you gave it a shot and part ways again but who knows what you'll be missing out on. Do you really want to have your weight holding you back from meeting friends/potential suiters etc..? Please go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

People please stop suggesting for the OP to lose weight!

Awh I'm disappointed to read you will not meet up OP. I'm sure he will be disappointed too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

doubter wrote: »
    Oh wow. delighted for you. I think most people have that one person in their life.I certainly do and I'd kill for a chance to have this opportunity.Unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen, he's in canada now.
    But by all means girl, go for it. What a fabulous thing to look forward to.>envy<

Mine just got engaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

<Mod Snip, poster previously asked not to contribute to this thread again>

Because comments like yours have made her too embarrassed to meet him, when in fact it barely matters and completely disregards the reality that he has undoubtedly changed in the many years since they've met.

Go for it OP. If he's decent, he'll recognise that you're a human subject to physical changes, just like he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Oh OP you HAVE to go. you'll regret forever if you don't please don't let this chance slip.

Also,
    something I learned recently...when attending a school reunion. People change- but you only see it for a split second. After that, once you hear your old friends talking, and moving, all of the sudden, they haven't changed one bit.They still are who they always were.The people you knew, and cared for. Go OP...please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

You are 12 years waiting a second chance.....you may not get a third.

Be brave. Risk it. You have nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain.

Please meet him

Advertisement