Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 2012 **READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING**

• 02-01-2012 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

This thread is for discussion of the Mocks. Please restrict ALL discussion of the 2012 Mocks to this thread. Other threads may be deleted or closed.

A few simple rules to ensure this thread runs as smoothly as possible:

NO POSTING OF MOCK PAPERS: Any posts of the actual papers will be deleted and the user posting them will be banned. This also applies to linking to scans of the papers.

USE SPOILER TAGS: If you are referring to any specific material on any Mock paper, make sure to use spoiler tags so that people who don't want to know what's on a given paper won't see. A spoiler looks like this:
    Your text here.
    To use spoiler tags, highlight the text you want to spoil, and click the spoiler.gif icon.

DO NOT ASK FOR PMs: If you have something to share, share it with everyone.

The Mock exams are useful for evaluating your strengths and weaknesses, practising exam techniques and timing, and giving you an idea of the course material you still have to cover. By getting hints, you're really not fooling anyone but yourself. Ideally, we would encourage that you go into the exam blind, the same as the real thing. Its better to panic about it now when there are no real consequences, than in June.

However, you are all old enough to be responsible for your own actions, and at least in this thread if people are going to post or seek for hints, they are confined to one thread and others can avoid them. The system we have used here over the last number of years may not be perfect, but we have found it to be the best compromise. This thread is NOT to be used for arguing with those who choose to post or look for hints.

All standard boards.ie rules apply here: no flaming, trolling, personal abuse or spamming. Please remember that txtspeak is NOT welcome on Boards. Using large font / multi-coloured text is also both unwelcome and unnecessary.

If you have an issue with a moderation decision, please PM the Mod in question. Do not argue about Mod decisions on thread.

A bit of clarification on what does and doesn't need to be in spoiler tags:
    "English was terrible, I ran out of time. My comparative was so rushed." - This is fine. You're not giving away any information about the specific content of the paper. No spoilers needed, post away!
    "English was terrible, I had no idea what to say for Kingship in Macbeth." - This is not fine. Spoilers please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭checkcheek

I think we need a mock thread!!

Anyone been told by there teachers and hints. Make sure you use a spoiler if your giving hints
    Hello

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Ohhh the lectures will flood in now! I put up a thread about History essays and I got a lecture about how we're supposed to be learning the course and not learning essays off :P But still... Good idea checkcheek! All hints greatly appreciated :pac:

Irish (H)
    English (H)
    Maths (O)
    German (H)
    History (H)
    Biology (H)
    Business (H)

well my only way of doing good is to just memorise stuff off!!!
    :D:D:D:D

Hah that's the way most people study for the leaving :D Well anyone I know anyways! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Our geography teacher told us alot of essays that are on our mock*:

15 SRP Essays:
    River Erosion: Waterfall
    Urban Sprawl in Dublin
    Limestone (Formation and Landscapes)
    Volcanoes (Pos-Neg effects, and Basic/Acidic Lava)
    Tertiary Economic Activities in Dublin
    Physical Limitations for the Development of Agriculture in the Mezzogiorno (Climate/Relief/Soils)
    Contrast the Development of Agriculture between the West of Ireland and the GDA

Geoecology Option:
    The Characteristics of the Tropical Rainforest Biome (Flora/Fauna/Soils)
    is one of them.

Also, in Business:
    TQM will be the theme of the ABQ
    Will be a question on decision making in the EU. (i.e. structures of the EU)

*Remember there are different papers!

• Advertisement

HAHAHA I didnt know how to use the spoiler thing for a min :P Silly me

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Just to let you all know there are different mock companies like Debs and Examcraft and Mocks.ie so hints and spoilers are really of no use unless you know which your school uses..

Also I know people don't like it when someone says you shouldn't look at these but take it from someone who is REPEATING Please Don't!
    you might think I'll only look at these because i'm going to have plenty of time to study everything else between now and June, but there's no guarantee you'll be able to motivate yourself to do that.
    Also you are far better off between now and your mocks not trying to cram the whole course but taking realistic amounts that you can study and learn well because you are not studying for the mocks you are studying for the leaving cert.
    Mocks don't always give a realistic idea of what you might get in the actual leaving cert so use them for timing and how you apply your knowledge to topics you don't know coming up.

trust me you'll waste more time trying to find spoilers and at the end of the day it's not worth it, i know this because i'm repeating because i was 30 points short for the course i wanted but had enough points for it with my mocks results...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

oh the memories of looking at this thread last year at 3am... :D

From my experience, mocks are useless. Only a select few are of actual Leaving Cert standard, and they really do screw up your valuable study time.

Keep your regular study routines, don't stress out over them. Remember that the orals are coming up soon and you'll lose study time when they start too.

Keep in mind:
    Oral = 15/20+ % of your grade
    Mock = 0% of your grade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Our geography teacher told us alot of essays that are on our mock*:

15 SRP Essays:
    River Erosion: Waterfall
    Urban Sprawl in Dublin
    Limestone (Formation and Landscapes)
    Volcanoes (Pos-Neg effects, and Basic/Acidic Lava)
    Tertiary Economic Activities in Dublin
    Physical Limitations for the Development of Agriculture in the Mezzogiorno (Climate/Relief/Soils)
    Contrast the Development of Agriculture between the West of Ireland and the GDA

Geoecology Option:
    The Characteristics of the Tropical Rainforest Biome (Flora/Fauna/Soils)
    is one of them.

Also, in Business:
    TQM will be the theme of the ABQ
    Will be a question on decision making in the EU. (i.e. structures of the EU)

*Remember there are different papers!
    Is this a company mock or one made out by the school seeing as your teacher already knows about it?Thanks anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Mocks are fairly useless. The correcting is brutal, they mark them way too easily. They're grand for getting used to timing and stuff but that's it really. Hopefully I'll remember to not add up my points this year so I don't delude myself. (Last year some of our papers had to be recorrected, they were marked insanely easily the first time round.)

As pointless as they are, they're of even less value if you know what's coming up. You won't know for the Leaving, so there's not much point in kidding yourself for the mocks. So what if you don't do too well, they're mocks!

• Advertisement

i know we wont know whats gonna come up in june, but if we have an idea of whats coming up in the mocks, it will reduce the strees. and sure its kinda good in a way, cause, if we learn all the stuff for the mocks that we know are gonna come up then its learned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Point of the mocks is do them, perform relatively bad in them, scare yourself to death, study like mad, do well in the actual LC.

That's it really :)

checkcheek wrote: »
    i know we wont know whats gonna come up in june, but if we have an idea of whats coming up in the mocks, it will reduce the strees. and sure its kinda good in a way, cause, if we learn all the stuff for the mocks that we know are gonna come up then its learned

In my opinion there's no need to stress over mocks. They don't count for anything.

Fair enough if you want to do that but a lot of people would probably assume that certain questions are unlikely to come up in June if they were on mock papers.

Plus if you study what's coming up in the mocks you'll do unrealistically well, and then you'll expect to do even better in the Leaving Cert. I just don't think it's a good idea at all.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Point of the mocks is do them, perform relatively bad in them, scare yourself to death, study like mad, do well in the actual LC.

That's it really :)

+1!

The worse you do the better really, what you should be aiming for is to scare the living daylights out of yourself by doing terrible. If you manage that, you've aced the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Queenie, why do you torment me so? No-one is to speak of the mocks until I'm good and ready :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

bscm wrote: »
    Keep your regular study routines, don't stress out over them. Remember that the orals are coming up soon and you'll lose study time when they start too.

Keep in mind:
    Mock = 0% of your grade

Seriously keep this in mind, for the orals, and also for the HPAT. Every year on the HPAT thread people complain that they were too tired to stay alert for the full exam because they'd been studying for the mocks all week. At the end of the day, mocks are a practise run. If you have anything clashing with them that contributes towards your points (like interviews, entrance exams) they should always take precedence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Namlub wrote: »
    Queenie, why do you torment me so? No-one is to speak of the mocks until I'm good and ready :mad:
    So don't come into this thread! :)

Well I'm subscribed now so it's too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Is this a company mock or one made out by the school seeing as your teacher already knows about it?Thanks anyway :pac:

Its from a company, don't know what one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Mocks are such a waste of time. Many teachers hype them up to the point students are more scared of mocks than they are of the Leaving Cert, creating a tonne of needless stress for students. On top of that, the papers are always sub-par quality-wise, in some cases they're brutal. The marking, on top of that, varies wildly in quality. Mocks examiners don't care - they get paid much less than SEC examiners (afaik) and they know the results they give don't matter a shít for your entry into third level. Some mark impossibly hard, some mark unrealistically easy, and of course some genuinely do their best.

They're a complete money-making racket and I find it really appalling when teachers put their students under pressure to do well in them. Really, don't worry about mocks, just do your best - at the stage you've sat mocks, you'll have barely finished some courses and have no time to revise. There's plenty of time until the actual Leaving Cert.

That said, don't use that as an excuse to cheat. It's good to get used to the pressure of sitting an exam where you don't know what's gonna come up and have to deal with proper timing

Prioritise on your orals. If you're sitting the HPAT, make sure the mocks don't stress you out and cost you mental stamina for the HPAT day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 haro123

Teacher said its the "Fairest" Business paper he's ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

Did paper one of english and irish today very happy :)

Whut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My mocks are in exactly 23 days.. eek..

Not overly preoccupied with them, gonna study hard for a while and do my best in them but at the end of the day we have 5 more months of serious cramming left to do after the mocks, they're not the be all and end all like! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

bscm wrote: »
    oh the memories of looking at this thread last year at 3am... :D

From my experience, mocks are useless. Only a select few are of actual Leaving Cert standard, and they really do screw up your valuable study time.

Keep in mind:
    Mock = 0% of your grade

In Irish the oral is now worth 40% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭robbiep94

When do your mocks start?Leaving Cert only!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

End of the month for most schools. It's different for each school, but most likely early Feb/end of January.

Mine's starting on the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

In four weeks time I think. Waste of time anyway since only companies do them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭robbiep94

End of the month for most schools. It's different for each school, but most likely early Feb/end of January.

Mine's starting on tne 30th.

Ya mines first two weeks in Feb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Feb 29th bitches! :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement