Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

How you can have a host of new producers and not have a single beat from one of the most legendary beat makers in hip hop who just so happens to be your boss is beyond me.

Maybe he should of had dre producing the album, he's a history of producing classic debuts.

I remember talking about this here a while back, I was saying I wanted to hear Kendrick over a few Dre beats but a lot of people didn't think that Dre's beats and Kendrick's bars/flow would be a great match and I'd agree with them to an extent.

The whole TDE/Aftermath deal is a bit odd IMO, Dre has very little involvement in Kendrick's album, he contributed to the mixing and has a couple of verses that Kendrick wrote for him, that seems to be it? To me it looks like Dre is trying his best to "claim" Kendrick as his own - maybe it's because he hasn't introduced a relevant artist in nearly 10 years? The last big artist he can claim is The Game, introduced in 2003/2004. Aftermath hasn't done much since, releasing a few Eminem and 50 albums only. Now Aftermath is somewhat relevant again because of Kendrick and Dre contributed next to nothing to his album.

He hasn't done much in recent years besides selling and marketing headphones. Has he released any notable music in the last 5 years? Not really. No beats on his own artists debut album, surely a sign that he has well and truly fallen off?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The snippets are out, can't post the link as im in work but its not being received very well.

His style and his sound has being a small bit commercially tailored, looking like this album could turn out like cole's , a complete let down.

How you can have a host of new producers and not have a single beat from one of the most legendary beat makers in hip hop who just so happens to be your boss is beyond me.

Maybe he should of had dre producing the album, he's a history of producing classic debuts.

...maybe he didn't have the option of Dre producing any tracks on the album, nevermind the entire ****ing thing? Dre is lazy as ****, nevermind the fact that his production hasn't been much good the past decade. I've no idea why anyone would look forward to a Dre beat in 2012.

And the snippets have been out for a week. And judging an album you haven't even heard yet is a joke, please stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Make your own mind up about the album would be my suggestion.

If you read about people who think another Cole album is the result, then that will obviously be in your mind when listening. If you go in thinking the album is going to be a let down, then how are you going to enjoy it?

Wait till Friday, listen to the album, post your opinion.

Surprised the album hasn't leaked in full yet, the CD will be in stores in a day and a half.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Make your own mind up about the album would be my suggestion.

If you read about people who think another Cole album is the result, then that will obviously be in your mind when listening. If you go in thinking the album is going to be a let down, then how are you going to enjoy it?

Wait till Friday, listen to the album, post your opinion.

That Hit boy track sounds messy...but that is no surprise since Hit Boy isn't up to much imo. Everything else sounds nice so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

its leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

No this is Ironic, the same people who laughed at me for saying how Kendrick is nothing special are now dissapointed in what they have heard from kendrick's so called "BEST HIP HOP ALBUM EVER MADE"

Quite funny actually.

You can 9/10 tell by a mixtape/couple of lead singles how great a new artist will be and in this case, what he has brought is no ground breaking stuff.

Do u remember the first time u heard Nas rap? Eminem, Jayz, Biggie , tupac etc etc? i bet u was LIKE OMG WHAO WHAT IS THIS IM HEARING!! THIS BLOOMING AWSOME etc etc.

Did u lot feel the same with any of section 80's tracks or his lead singles recipe and swimming pool?

I diddnt. he is a good rapper, but he is not a great rapper from what i have heard so far. i think his maybe on par with GAME but thats about it.

In terms of production. well most i never heard of. I have not heard the tracks yet so i cant say they are crap producers but it seems of you do feel the producers in this album are sub par.

Why diddnt dj premo get involved? kanye and his crew? What about timbaland for christ sakes?

Umm why diddnt i mention Dr Dre? Well because as someone here stated, he hasnt brought out any bangers for years. if you thought Timbo fell off, Dr dre is even worse.

I stand by what i said though, best hip hop producer right now is Kanye and his crew.

I would so love to see kendrick on a kanye beat. to see what kendrick can really do but guess we will never know...

I will as i have said, listen to kendricks album before going about preaching "ha i told u so"

i will listen to it with a very open mind, give it lots of listening too and make a judgement.

Section 80 as said by me is a grower but even after listening it now, i would give it a 7/10. its decent but not classic, not masterpiece, far from it. no where near best hip hop album.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

He is still easily one of the best rappers of the past several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Why diddnt dj premo get involved? kanye and his crew? What about timbaland for christ sakes?

Why should they? Premo isnt exactly known for working with up and coming west coast artists, he tends to stick closer to home, he hasnt done much on the west in comparison.

Kanye is producing very little at the moment in comparison to past years, he seems to be sticking to the people on his label

Timbaland produces very few hip hop tracks nowadays, dont think he's done a major hip hop song in years, and out of all producers you named i dont know what made you think he would work with Kendrick. His style would not suit kendrick at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Album leaked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Orizio wrote: »
    ...maybe he didn't have the option of Dre producing any tracks on the album, nevermind the entire ****ing thing? Dre is lazy as ****, nevermind the fact that his production hasn't been much good the past decade. I've no idea why anyone would look forward to a Dre beat in 2012.

And the snippets have been out for a week. And judging an album you haven't even heard yet is a joke, please stop.

whoa who's judging the album? stop making stuff up in your head. I said it sounds like it could be a let down, no one judges albums by snippets iv often said it here so don't try and make things up with your mod-mentality posts. PLEASE stop the swearing too, no need for it.

btw your theory on why dre isnt on the album is laughable, KL clearly turned down his beats and louis XIII is possibly one of the best beats of 2012 so far.
    Everybody heard that I **** with Dre
    And they wanna tell me, I made it
    Nigga I ain't made ****
    If he gave me a handout
    I'm a take his wrist and break it
    He is still easily one of the best rappers of the past several years.

without a doubt he is but iv listened to a few songs off the album and i can tell you from what iv heard so far its no section 80 by any means, in terms of substance its commercial themed everything from the lryics to the beats. The track with drake is fairly bad tbh too, nothing about the film either.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Why should they? Premo isnt exactly known for working with up and coming west coast artists, he tends to stick closer to home, he hasnt done much on the west in comparison.

Kanye is producing very little at the moment in comparison to past years, he seems to be sticking to the people on his label

Timbaland produces very few hip hop tracks nowadays, dont think he's done a major hip hop song in years, and out of all producers you named i dont know what made you think he would work with Kendrick. His style would not suit kendrick at all

There are tracks in section 80 that reminded me of old timbal. Timbal can make a beat to suit kendrick

btw your theory on why dre isnt on the album is laughable, KL clearly turned down his beats and louis XIII is possibly one of the best beats of 2012 so far.

Link? Source?

There are tracks in section 80 that reminded me of old timbal. Timbal can make a beat to suit kendrick

old is the keyword here, he has moved on, like most other producers that are trying to adjust to todays sound. And i have never heard him being called Timbal but hey, whatever you're into....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

sounds good so far

Link? Source?

i showed you up already for replying to something i never said, thats enough conversation with you for one day.;)

I'm sure KL recorded several tracks with production by Dre but they just didn't suit the theme/sound of this album or they weren't his best work.

Same thing happened with that Lady Gaga track - it didn't work and they couldn't make it. No point forcing it.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I'm sure KL recorded several tracks with production by Dre but they just didn't suit the theme/sound of this album or they weren't his best work.

Same thing happened with that Lady Gaga track - it didn't work and they couldn't make it. No point forcing it.

exactly my point, id really doubt dre was "lazy" in terms of not even inputting some beats towards the album, especially towards one of his artists. Like you said the same thing happened with the gaga track.

Stupid ipad that's why lol

Bollocks is Dre being lazy, he'd obviously give Kendrick beats if he wanted them, kendrick uses his beats, dre gets more dough, simples.

This isnt the first time in history somebody has turned down beats from a high quality producer, didnt Nas turn down an albums worth of beats from premo for his new album earlier in the year?

• Advertisement

i showed you up already for replying to something i never said, thats enough conversation with you for one day.;)

In other words you were talking through your hole, gotcha.

Bollocks is Dre being lazy, he'd obviously give Kendrick beats if he wanted them, kendrick uses his beats, dre gets more dough, simples.

This isnt the first time in history somebody has turned down beats from a high quality producer, didnt Nas turn down an albums worth of beats from premo for his new album earlier in the year?

If Dre wasn't lazy Detox would have been released years ago.

And neither you or the other dude are privy to whether or not Dre offered anyone beats, so please stop with the assumptions and slander, cheers.

whoa who's judging the album? .

You.
    looking like this album could turn out like cole's , a complete let down.

An utterly pathetic comment based off the listening of snippets, of all things. Making massive and negative assumptions on a LP you haven't heard is a really sad new trend in Hip-Hop that needs to stop immediately.

Nevermind the fact that you are way off, this LP sounds brilliant so far. :pac:

If Dre wasn't lazy Detox would have been released years ago.

And neither you or the other dude are privy to whether or not Dre offered anyone beats, so please stop with the assumptions and slander, cheers.

And you aren't privy to why Detox hasnt been released yet either.

Where did i slander anybody?

And you aren't privy to why Detox hasnt been released yet either.

Yeah I'm sure the label is holding back one of the most anticipated Hip-Hop album of all time...

And - 'a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report', regarding Kendrick rejecting Dre beats. Although I suppose Mufc was more the slanderous one, but anyway.

Yeah I'm sure the label is holding back one of the most anticipated Hip-Hop album of all time...

So basically what you're saying is you know fúck all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Lazy. Yeah. NWA, Snoop, Eminem, 50 cent, Game oh and the dozens of artists he tried to help but just couldn't sell enough. Not to mention him reviving dozen of others careers. You might have also heard of his 2 solo albums, they did not sell much or have much of an impact they were very lazy efforts. 2 labels, high selling headphones, deal with HTC and HP.

Big difference between being lazy and being a perfectionist and picky.

I couldnt be bothered arguing with this fella, best thing is too Ignore him lads he still thinks he's modding around here. Respect my authority Cartman type posts. :D

Love this album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

it has the feel of a proper album
    not like alot of albums nowadays that sound like a bunch of singles on a cd

Advertisement