Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civilization 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Just played my first game with Venice. Incredible amounts of gold up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RuairiMul

anybody know a good irish civ mod? the one that already seems to be in it sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Sale on steam for another day, civ 5 is €7.50, gold (base, g+k & some DLC) is €10, and brave new world is €10 for another 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Anyone here play and up for a game some time? T'would be nice to get a game with some Irish people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've tried but we've never finished. I think I have 5 saves with Irish friends that are unfinished (1 almost done)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I could probably fit in a game somewhere, I'm a bit out of Civ practice after playing so much HOI3 but would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mojojojoprime

Love the game but sometimes it messes up the save files and we have to abandon games annoying but still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Apparently one of the Scrambled Nations maps has Britain and Ireland but is called 'United Kingdom'. Quickly everybody, get offended at this great attack upon our sovereignty. I am joking, of course

Latest news seems to be that a Complete Edition will be released next week or so with a deluxe version of the Spain & Inca Scenario. This almost certainly means no more civs for this iteration of Civ anyway. 43 is a lot of civs but I feel like the game should at least include Sumer due to their popular 'first civ' status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

This new mod could be some lightheared fun

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2014/02/papers-please-civ-mod/

This mod for the strategy game Civilization V — which happens to be super cheap today, thanks to the Humble Sid Meier Bundle — adds the nation of Arstotzka to the popular turn-based game of global dominion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Julez

So I got the humble bundle and started playing it on saturday and sunday, I've already put about 15 hours into it and I'm very tired today! Great game, and a great bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Super, super game. Been playing an awful lot of it recently as a few friends picked it up in the Humblebundle.

If anyone's up for a couple of games, PM me for my steam username. I'm hankering to play a huge map with 5-10 people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

An interesting article about a point of contention among the developers. Moving your settler on first turn, or always found the city on the first turn.

www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/11060-You-Never-Move-Your-Settler-Opening-Strategy-Splits-Civ-V-Studio

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pushtrak wrote: »
    An interesting article about a point of contention among the developers. Moving your settler on first turn, or always found the city on the first turn.

www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/11060-You-Never-Move-Your-Settler-Opening-Strategy-Splits-Civ-V-Studio

I usually move myself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I tended to go with my gut: I move my warrior in a direction that looks promising and if it does, I'd move my settler over there. If the starting position is decent though, I'd tend to stay where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The science is always going to be hard to do; the one test with 3 simulations they ran is far too little data for a conclusive answer. The fact is, there are so many different possibilities that could affect the outcome that it would be very hard to test; you'd need a huge amount of empirical data. I'd say most people would agree with pixelburp; if there's a better starting position 1-2 turns away, the benefits will probably be greater over time than settling straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It also depends on the speed you're playing at.

Taking 1 extra turn on Standard is like 8 extra turns on Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

I found a mod in the work shop called Earth 2014 and it has all the worlds countries and its leaders up to date with their locations on the map too. This is a fun game. I get the warmonger too often due to liking nukes too much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I missed out on the humble bundle so I am still with the vanilla version of the game. I am currently going down the cutlural route to victory which is actually really boring without the BNW expansion.

BNW is currently 75% off on Steam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the Brave New World expansion really kicked the game up a notch; Gods & Kings inserted what arguably should have been in the main game from the start (and was present in previous Civ. games), but BNW changed the gameplay with its trading & tourism mechanics. My only grumble was that Venice seemed like a very easy Civ to play as.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, the Brave New World expansion really kicked the game up a notch; Gods & Kings inserted what arguably should have been in the main game from the start (and was present in previous Civ. games), but BNW changed the gameplay with its trading & tourism mechanics. My only grumble was that Venice seemed like a very easy Civ to play as.

It'd be very hard to balance the 40 odd civs in terms of usability.

Better off having a range of difficulties and flavours.

Gbear wrote: »
    It'd be very hard to balance the 40 odd civs in terms of usability.

Better off having a range of difficulties and flavours.

Undoubtedly, it's a next-to-impossible task, I was just surprised how dominant the Venetians were, even within the narrow framework of the BNW updates.

Of course, like all resurrected gaming threads, they kickstart my desire to play the games in question. Though in Civ5's case, it'd probably be a bad thing, timesink that it is :D

Anyone know of any rumours or tattle pointing to further DLCs, or even a Civ6 (though not sure it needs it really)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

pixelburp wrote: »
    Undoubtedly, it's a next-to-impossible task, I was just surprised how dominant the Venetians were, even within the narrow framework of the BNW updates.

Of course, like all resurrected gaming threads, they kickstart my desire to play the games in question. Though in Civ5's case, it'd probably be a bad thing, timesink that it is :D

Anyone know of any rumours or tattle pointing to further DLCs, or even a Civ6 (though not sure it needs it really)

A Complete Edition was recently released for Civ V which would suggest that there won't be any more major expansions, not that there's much more they could add.

Would highly recommend the Civ IV Diplomacy and Less Warmonger Hate mods. Massively improve gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So it turns out Civ Revolution was free on X-Box games with gold, picked it up, played about 3 full games (9 or so hours) and was like "feck this I'll just play the proper one". Booted back up Civ 5…. Lost 6 hours of my life, got little or no sleep, spent the day exhausted and wanting to go home to play more. Talk about a Love Hate relationship.

I never got either expansions or mods…. From reading wikipedia it seems if I just get the BNW expansion then I don't need the Gods&Kings one. Is that correct?

Also aside from the 2 mods mentioned above, is there any other mods anyone else can recommend. I want to get the whole game expanded and modded and then launch a new game tonight with all these different dynamics for a different challenge.

Cormac... wrote: »
    So it turns out Civ Revolution was free on X-Box games with gold, picked it up, played about 3 full games (9 or so hours) and was like "feck this I'll just play the proper one". Booted back up Civ 5…. Lost 6 hours of my life, got little or no sleep, spent the day exhausted and wanting to go home to play more. Talk about a Love Hate relationship.
    I've got Civ Rev on PS3 and 360 now. Saw it on PS3 for cheap a couple of months back, but never got around to trying it, and 360, well, it was free. Haven't played either, but plan on trying it at some point. Is it just bad by comparison or is it just bad?
    I never got either expansions or mods…. From reading wikipedia it seems if I just get the BNW expansion then I don't need the Gods&Kings one. Is that correct?
    You can get BNW without needing G&K. I'd suggest getting G&K though when the sale is on assuming that isn't your plan already.
    Also aside from the 2 mods mentioned above, is there any other mods anyone else can recommend. I want to get the whole game expanded and modded and then launch a new game tonight with all these different dynamics for a different challenge.
    I haven't really gotten in to the mod scene yet... When I was playing, I was working on getting achievements. I don't really expect to get 100% in it, but a good amount would be nice. Mods disable them if you care about such things.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I've got Civ Rev on PS3 and 360 now. Saw it on PS3 for cheap a couple of months back, but never got around to trying it, and 360, well, it was free. Haven't played either, but plan on trying it at some point. Is it just bad by comparison or is it just bad?

It's not bad, it's just a few changes that make it more "console". I'll elaborate:
    1) you cannot micromanage city tiles either by choosing which ones you work or by improving them (there are no "workers")
    2) Diplomacy is very scaled back, and poses little or no true use.
    3) All maps have 5 divs, no city states so it's a pretty straight forward model
    4) there is unit stacking like the older Civ games, and the ability to combine 3 of the same unit into an Army, this is one of the best mechanics IMO
    5) The unit upgrade system is more straightforward, a choice of 2 types of upgrade and away you go.
    6) cannot move ships into city squares, so hence you cannot move "through" a city which has water on 2 sides
    7) all maps seem to be comprised of long strips of land, no large Continent or Island games from what I can tell. Seems to be a lot of Choke points
    8) DONT click Play Now, click Single Player, Play Now defaults to a boringly easy game type
    9) It seems easier to either culture rush or science rush a victory than in PC games, but military victory on higher difficulties seems tougher, it's like the AI is rolling out troop after troop.
    10) No "puppet" citys, it's 100% Annex, you cannot Raze
    11) building roads is more straightforward
    12) your advisors speak that incoherent Sims type language a LOT, it's really annoying
    13) you can speed play a game of it in like 2.5 hours.
    14) there is no Happiness or Religion.
    15) there are no "resources" be they strategic or luxury
    16) you cannot upgrade units, only way to do it is Leos Workshop
    17) inability to move through units so you can easily block the AI in until they declare war, by game 3 this formed a core of my game style, move my men pretty far out then "choke" the AI into staying put

All in all, some mechanics make it more accessible for consoles and new players alike, but as someone who grew up on Civ2 as one of my 1st games, I cannot take it seriously without the many millions of little tweaks I would like to make. The above points may all seem like negatives to seasoned players, and I guess in a way they are, but it makes it more of a pick up and play game. Points 1, 2, 12 and 16 were big issues for me personally. All in all it made me boot up the PC version, and for the impact that game has on my life I truly f**king hate it ;)

[/QUOTE]You can get BNW without needing G&K. I'd suggest getting G&K though when the sale is on assuming that isn't your plan already.[/QUOTE]

But what will I be missing if I Just get BNW and G&K, it looks like all the new civilisations and gameplay changes in G&K are included in BNW, maybe I'm all wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

But what will I be missing if I Just get BNW and G&K, it looks like all the new civilisations and gameplay changes in G&K are included in BNW, maybe I'm all wrong though

All you miss are 8 of the 9 G&K civs (Ethiopia is included in BNW, Spain is available as a DLC and also in G&K), and the G&K scenarios.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    All you miss are 8 of the 9 G&K civs (Ethiopia is included in BNW, Spain is available as a DLC and also in G&K), and the G&K scenarios.

Ah thats ok then, i'll just get BNW, gameplay changes are more important to me than new civs, I only tend to use 5 to 6 divs that suit my gameplay style any way (high population and high culture). And I never play scenarios

Gbear wrote: »
    BNW is currently 75% off on Steam.

I went on last night and it was priced at €30 :(

• Advertisement

I went on last night and it was priced at €30 :(
    You can get it cheap in other places.

70% off here: www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1777-sid-meier-s-civilization-v-brave-new-world-mac

Some region free stuff here, but wouldn't really trust some of the stuff on the list: www.dlcompare.com/games/buy-civilization-v-brave-new-world-546

Advertisement