Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat Stevens at the O2 in November..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

He's been chucking insults about willy-nilly, best off just reporting him and not rising to it tbh.

Btw, I left early too. Despite paying €200 for my tickets it just wasn't worth staying.

Even this evening and thinking back, I'm pretty shocked at the aggression and almost down right hatred from some of the audience last night.

Last thing I thought I'd see at a Yusef Islam concert was garda re-enforcements being called in.

I'm sorry,

but those people last night were morons, and I will not apologise for saying as such.

If you left early (how early) you missed a great show.
    But, if your patience is so small that you cannot bear to sit through a part of a musical written by the man you came to see before seeing him again, well, really, perhaps you need to go see a special doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Stain Boy

fryup wrote: »
    "play peacetrain you f&ckin bollix"

only in ireland:rolleyes:

Yup I heard that too. The irony was not lost on me.
    you have to admit there's a surreal humour about the whole thing
    once i got over the initial shock of peoples reactions, I was laughing my arse off

And there's a big bloody difference between an advertisement and a showcase.

May I ask you all how much time you expected to see Yusuf on stage, Is 20 songs not enough? And yes, Yusuf, with band, without musical cast sang TWENTY tunes! Proof of the pudding:
    1. Lilywhite
    2. The Wind
    3. Thinking ‘Bout You
    4. Where Do The Children Play
    5. Boots & Sand
    6. Fill My Eyes
    7. Roadsinger
    8. Midday (Avoid City After Dark)
    9. Sitting
    10. I Think I See The Light

Break
    11. Miles from Nowhere
    12. Don’t Be Shy
    13. Glass World
    14. Bad Brakes
    15. Moonshadow
    16. Peace Train
    17. All Kinds of Roses
    18. Lilywhite (2009)
    19. Tuesday’s Dead
    20. Father and Son (with Ronan Keating)

MMD wrote: »
    em, not being smart and with respect:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2009/v-festival-stafford-england-2bd79c7e.html

last played August 22 2009

Wow.

Didn't know that.

They went for a while without playing it.

Something to dso with Noel claiming it was for a specific relationship. Occassionaly they would play it at the end over the tannoy from a CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DavidMJTDoyle

Thought the concert last night was great. The musical bit had been on all the advertising and I knew about it long before the concert. In fact I liked it. There was a great mix of old and new throughout the night. The people who walked out missed a lot later on.

Also I arrived when doors opened and they were still doing the sound check and heard Ronan Keating during it, so he was certainly planned as part of the concert and wasn't just brought on to appease the crowd at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

It's been argued to death, but the musical bit coming in the middle ruined the rhythm of the show all together. By the time he came back on stage properly, the atmosphere was gone. I had seen the advertisements, but didn't expect that. It would have made more sense to put it at the beginning as "support" or whatever. What annoyed me more than having to sit through it, was knowing that he then wouldn't be performing those songs. As for Ronan Keeting, I never realised how terrible a singer he really is.

The people booing new songs were wrong, but they were just in bad form by that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

It would have made more sense to put it at the beginning as "support" or whatever.

that is a magnificent idea TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    "play peacetrain you f&ckin bollix"

only in ireland:rolleyes:
    WHAT?! Did someone shout that out?

yep, listen to the *gerry ryan show > 43 min in

*click on listen back near the top of the page

http://2fm.rte.ie/gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

It would have made more sense to put it at the beginning as "support" or whatever

That makes perfect sense, maybe that's what he'll do from now on?

Doe's anyone else think that the 'vibe' in the new O2 is different from the old Point due to being able to bring alcohol into your seat?
    Don't get me wrong its a great venue, but for seated concerts l've noticed there is a constant swarm of people coming and going for beer, fag, toilet breaks etc which l never noticed happening at gigs in the old 'Point'....can be very distracting.:(
    l usually go to rock gigs (Ac/Dc, Neil Young etc) but the 'drunkest' crowd l ever saw was at the Leonard Cohen gig in Kilmainham!

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tannapol

I didn't hear Gerry Ryan and allegedly aggrieved 02 Security Manager re the behaviour of the audience. It's true lots of the audience were tanked up but the 'show' was brutal, it's being touted as an extra but it was a filler, no doubt about it. And the 'show' left no cliche unexplored -winsome kids, star-crossed lovers, peasants in kerchiefs. You name it.

And re the tanking up what does 02 expect when they try to sell as much drink as possible and allow punters to bring pints into auditorium to spill over their neighbours? The floor in the row where my seat was was tacky from spilled drink, predating Yusuf Islam gig. While i'm at it, the 'food' in 02 is vile, worse than a cineplex so you wouldn't even be tempted to leaven your drink intake with food.

But to return to the main point, a simple question: if we weren't getting the full Cat Stevens, as it were, why were we charged superstar prices?

tannapol wrote: »
    I didn't hear Gerry Ryan and allegedly aggrieved 02 Security Manager re the behaviour of the audience. It's true lots of the audience were tanked up but the 'show' was brutal, it's being touted as an extra but it was a filler, no doubt about it. And the 'show' left no cliche unexplored -winsome kids, star-crossed lovers, peasants in kerchiefs. You name it.

And re the tanking up what does 02 expect when they try to sell as much drink as possible and allow punters to bring pints into auditorium to spill over their neighbours? The floor in the row where my seat was was tacky from spilled drink, predating Yusuf Islam gig. While i'm at it, the 'food' in 02 is vile, worse than a cineplex so you wouldn't even be tempted to leaven your drink intake with food.

But to return to the main point, a simple question: if we weren't getting the full Cat Stevens, as it were, why were we charged superstar prices?

Filler?

There was a full 20 song concert! There was no need to 'fill' anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Was talkin to security guard this afternoon at load in for childline, said that girl who got bitten and all had to get a tetnis shot and night in hospital :rolleyes:
    such fukin scumbags dont deserve to listen to music let alone go to gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Filler?

There was a full 20 song concert! There was no need to 'fill' anything!

You have to remember though, that this is an artist with many very short songs. He hardly played for 90mins.

I'm not one of these people who insists artists play only their hits, but it's taking the piss a little to include some of your biggest hits performed by someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Charles Onions

I'm sorry,

but those people last night were morons, and I will not apologise for saying as such.

If you left early (how early) you missed a great show.
    But, if your patience is so small that you cannot bear to sit through a part of a musical written by the man you came to see before seeing him again, well, really, perhaps you need to go see a special doctor.

I thought the first half was 50/50 and found the musical unbearable and insultingly trite. I dont think it is the mark of limited patience to sit through 25 minutes of something, hate every minute of it and with no end in sight, decide to leave. And if you find the idea of conflicting opinions so distasteful that you feel the need to insult anyone who holds one then might I suggest that maybe you stay off the internet and spend your days on your own in front of a mirror giving yourself the thumbs up for being so completely right all of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

I think what we're seeing here is an effect of these "super-gigs" which have become more prevalent in the last 4/5 years, the ones with huge acts from the 60s/70s/80s which cost over €100 a ticket. The audience for these gigs are largely populated by middle-aged people who don't get to many gigs and so expect to hear ALL of their favourites and are pissed off when this doesn't happen. It's almost like a sense of entitlement, "I've paid my money and if you don't give me EXACTLY what I want you'll hear about it". That's not the way it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

And re the tanking up what does 02 expect when they try to sell as much drink as possible and allow punters to bring pints into auditorium to spill over their neighbours? The floor in the row where my seat was was tacky from spilled drink, predating Yusuf Islam gig.

The O2 is primarily concerned with selling booze. When it was being renovated, all we kept hearing about was how many bars the place would have. Pat Kenny had Harry Crosbie on the radio a few weeks ago, and someone texted in to ask was it not the case that Van Morrison refused to do his Astral Weeks show in the O2 because they would not agree to close the bars during the performance. Cue a telling pause of a few seconds from Crosbie, before he denied - unconvincingly - that this was the case.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And re the tanking up what does 02 expect when they try to sell as much drink as possible and allow punters to bring pints into auditorium to spill over their neighbours?
    Well it's better than the old Point where you couldn't get a drink because of the ridiculous queues, or lack of queues, it was just a free for all at the bars.

I thought the first half was 50/50 and found the musical unbearable and insultingly trite. I dont think it is the mark of limited patience to sit through 25 minutes of something, hate every minute of it and with no end in sight, decide to leave. And if you find the idea of conflicting opinions so distasteful that you feel the need to insult anyone who holds one then might I suggest that maybe you stay off the internet and spend your days on your own in front of a mirror giving yourself the thumbs up for being so completely right all of the time

wow, what a great idea.. and not moronic at all. :rolleyes:
    You sure proved me wrong!

Spending €100, maybe more, to see a singer, and leaving half way through because you dislike a bonus section.. not moronic at all.

Booing, hissing, swearing at child actors .. not moronic at all.

yeah.. you sure proved me wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Spending €100, maybe more, to see a singer, and leaving half way through because you dislike a bonus section.. not moronic at all.
    Bonus section? I think in this case that's a very subjective term.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Bonus section? I think in this case that's a very subjective term.

There was a full concert.. 20 songs in total.
    + This Bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A 30 min advertisement during his show? Wow

If he was a poster on Boards he'd be banned for being a shill.

+1*10000

ROTFLMAO. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Just to mention - there's a huge difference between leaving if you're not enjoying yourself and screaming abuse at the singer and child actors. It's probably useful to separate the two in discussion of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

carpedeum wrote: »
    We got our tickets sometime ago and the musical was clearly advertised! We knew that some classics would not feature because of Yusuf's change in beliefs.

The musical did go on for too long and we wanted Yusuf to sing those songs sung by the actors. However, there was no excuse for the heckling, booing and slow handclappling. Some people beside us, mid 50ish, were knocking back the booze and were effing and shouting! We felt embarassed as Irish people. 15 mins of the musical would have been sufficient though.

The worst moment was when the gougers booed when he announced that he was going to sing a new composition! I have never heard this reaction to new material at any other gig including Springsteen, Christy Moore, U2 etc.

I wonder how much of the carry-on was due to people just venting their frustration at the mess the country is in!

It wasn't a classic concert, but, let's face it, Cat Stevens is long gone.

P.S. Credit to Harry Crosbie on the new Point.

Gerry Ryan is that you??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

did you not think that particular section of the show was even remotely self indulgent? I mean come on...having west end actors signing some of your classic songs is in my opinion a disgrace.

All in, how long was he actually on stage??

Onstage 8pm...8 songs, interval...THAT section...then 3 encores.

Don't get me wrong Dolittle, when he was good, he was awesome, but that section of the show was just a very very bitter pill to swallow. I, unlike a lot in my section, stayed to the end.

As a very frequent gig goer, I cannot remember anything like this happening at a gig before.

part of this post is quoted in the sun today.......the parts in bold....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sean K

The main mistake Yusuf made was to hold this event at such a big venue - it obviously resulted in many half hearted "fans" forking out to see him play a Cat Stephens' Greatest Hits show. Holding it in Vicar St. would have cut out most of the riff raff and left the genuine fans to celebrate attending the exclusive world premiere of his musical (and his own remarkably impeccable performance after such a long absence) without the heckles of disgruntled whingers. True fans who have actually listened to his music know that he is not a man who pays any respect to convention:

Well, if you want to sing out, sing out
    And if you want to be free, be free
    'Cause there's a million things to be
    You know that there are

You can do what you want
    The opportunity's on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sean K wrote: »
    he is not a man who pays any respect to convention:

Very true...he sides with fundamentalists to suppress freedom of speech
    http://www.nytimes.com/books/99/04/18/specials/rushdie-cat.html

Degsy wrote: »
    Very true...he sides with fundamentalists to suppress freedom of speech
    http://www.nytimes.com/books/99/04/18/specials/rushdie-cat.html

This George Bush?

part of this post is quoted in the sun today.......the parts in bold....

:eek: I always knew I'd make the media someday...the Sun eh? Plagarists :D

I hope at least they fixed my original typo!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i have a question for the people who are particularly vociferous about last night...Do you go to many gigs?

It seems to me like Mr. Islam really thought he was putting on a good show last night. He did not deserve that treatment. Fair enough he made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

:eek: I always knew I'd make the media someday...the Sun eh? Plagarists :D

I hope at least they fixed my original typo!! :confused:

yeah they fixed the typo....

have you seen it? would you like me to scan it?

• Advertisement

yeah they fixed the typo....

have you seen it? would you like me to scan it?

thanks a mill mate, but will pop across to shop if I ever get out of work and get it!!

If the article refers to other posts also, it would be good for the other boardies to see it too!

Thanks again
    :)

Advertisement