Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brooding Corner

• 18-03-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hi all, I just had a thought. We all know that The Lair is for fun chat so I came up with a thread where you can be moody without the guilty feeling of being a come down.:pac: Rant or vent about anything you want. Stressful times at home, work or college. Let go about how your mates suck and don't understand you. Or just feel free to air some bad feeling (but don't be confrontational). I'll get the ball rolling with a somewhat lighthearted rant.

The state of the horror genre in movies. It sickens me! I mean when is the last time you saw a good film with Vampires eh? No offence to all you fans of the Underworld franchise but it is in all honesty a case of style over substance. In fairness though, I'd take that franchise anyday over films about teenage vampires with angst (cough*Twilight*cough). Oh and Dakota Fanning is in the sequel. Yes! And now we're being treated to Gavin & Stacey having their way with the genre. It's a sad sad state of affairs.

And when's the last time you saw a classic horror movie that you could call not just a great horror movie, but just a great movie in general. Back in the day we'd see acting greats such as Jack Nicholson in awesome films such as The Shining. Or Arnie in The Terminator. Now what do we get? A bunch a B movie films with a bunch of forgettable eye candy. I despair.

Rant over. Don't leave me hanging people.:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

LZ5by5 wrote: »

The state of the horror genre in movies.

Alas, too many poor remakes these days. :(
    It sickens me! I mean when is the last time you saw a good film with Vampires eh?

Not a fan of the Lost Boys 2? :pac:
    And when's the last time you saw a classic horror movie that you could call not just a great horror movie, but just a great movie in general

The Mist. Pick it up on BluRay and watch it in all of its director's cut B/W glory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Galvasean wrote: »

I know.:( The Crow is supposedly up next for the remake treatment.
    Not a fan of the Lost Boys 2? :pac:

I've avoided it like the plague. There's a reason why The Two Corey's didn't go on to bigger and better things.:pac: But I'm aware Alex Proyas has an upcoming project involving Dracula; I've high hopes for that.
    The Mist. Pick it up on BluRay and watch it in all of its director's cut B/W glory!

Haven't seen that one. I'll be keeping an eye out for sure though. I'm really starved of some good horror flicks. The last horror flick I saw was Black Christmas.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

someone should really batter rob zombie! his remakes are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I was thinking about this recently,
    it seems film franchises have come to the ridiculous assumption that if a film makes you jump or want to get sick than its a "horror" film...... I haven't seena new film in years that I could watch and feel that unmistakeable shiver rising from the base of your spine.... oh the memories.... why are people idiots?

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    I was thinking about this recently,
    it seems film franchises have come to the ridiculous assumption that if a film makes you jump or want to get sick than its a "horror" film...... I haven't seena new film in years that I could watch and feel that unmistakeable shiver rising from the base of your spine.... oh the memories.... why are people idiots?

Yep, giving someone a brief fright =/= making them scared
    Making someone feel disgusted =/= making them scared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Yep, giving someone a brief fright =/= making them scared
    Making someone feel disgusted =/= making them scared
    I can barely even remember what it feels like when your scared watching a movie, its about to come to the climactic scare and your breath gets caught in your throat.... a good movie evokes that feeling in your throat several times.... *sighs*

I know.:( The Crow is supposedly up next for the remake treatment.

total and utter blasphemy!!

I came into UCD and there's feck all here.:mad: It seems we are still on holidays, why didn't I get the memo?:pac:

I came into UCD and there's feck all here.:mad: It seems we are still on holidays, why didn't I get the memo?:pac:

isnt it reading week in UCD too?

isnt it reading week in UCD too?

I thought last week was my reading week.:pac: The place is dead, there's only about three of us down here in the computer room doing assignments while it's dead quiet above us. Usually you can hear endless chattering!

• Advertisement

I thought last week was my reading week.:pac: The place is dead, there's only about three of us down here in the computer room doing assignments while it's dead quiet above us. Usually you can hear endless chattering!

hmmm is UCD one of those weird colleges that gives different subjects their readin weeks on different weeks?

hmmm is UCD one of those weird colleges that gives different subjects their readin weeks on different weeks?

Possibly. I know, I am in my 3rd year and I know sweet F' all about the University.~_^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Stuff like that always happens me in college. If a lecture is reschuduled or cancelled Im always the one who never gets told and turns up at half 9 in the morning...

My reading week is almost over and I still have a disgusting amount of work to get trough. I took one day for myself to have fun with friends and another day to see my sister and nieces and Ive been working my ass off since to make up for it but it just feels like Im making no progress. Argh.

Also, argh to my family all going to Australia to lounge by the pool and have loads of fun while Im left here with my brother coz Im stuck in college.

abstract: college sucks!
    Stuff like that always happens me in college. If a lecture is reschuduled or cancelled Im always the one who never gets told and turns up at half 9 in the morning...

My reading week is almost over and I still have a disgusting amount of work to get trough. I took one day for myself to have fun with friends and another day to see my sister and nieces and Ive been working my ass off since to make up for it but it just feels like Im making no progress. Argh.

Also, argh to my family all going to Australia to lounge by the pool and have loads of fun while Im left here with my brother coz Im stuck in college.

Stuff like that always happens me in college. If a lecture is reschuduled or cancelled Im always the one who never gets told and turns up at half 9 in the morning....

We're both well in tune with our Universities.:pac:

Ugh I know. I've been working on a presentation I have to give on Monday all week, and I still have a truckload of work to do.
    Also, argh to my family all going to Australia to lounge by the pool and have loads of fun while Im left here with my brother coz Im stuck in college

Damn.:eek: Your family sure do know how to rub it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

We're both well in tune with our Universities.:pac:

Ugh I know. I've been working on a presentation I have to give on Monday all week, and I still have a truckload of work to do.

Damn.:eek: Your family sure do know how to rub it in!

I know. Im going to have to be a proper grown up and do all the washing and tidying and cooking and look after the dog. And do the shopping and all of that. Oh well, at least it will be good practice for when I move out....

Still grrr to all the college work.

I know. Im going to have to be a proper grown up and do all the washing and tidying and cooking and look after the dog. And do the shopping and all of that. Oh well, at least it will be good practice for when I move out....

Still grrr to all the college work.

Grr to college in general I say.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

grrrr wish i was in college..

grrrrr to the dole not paying me:( damn this recession :(

emo!! wrote: »
    grrrr wish i was in college..

grrrrr to the dole not paying me:( damn this recession :(

*shakes fist at dole office*

Why won't they pay you?

Grr to the fact that I wasnt invited to the Meteor Awards!

• Advertisement

Grr to the fact that I wasnt invited to the Meteor Awards!

No great loss to be honest mate! Too many Z-list Irish celebs flocking to Lilly Bordello's for my liking.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

*shakes fist at dole office*

Why won't they pay you?
    dunno *shrugs* everyone else at work got it i didnt!

she said its cause my surname begins with P , so it woould be far down the list, however, two of my workmates names begin with S !!!

ha ha load of bull ...

crappy country

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*headdesk*

Exams starting on Monday, can't concentrate for **** due to a mixture of general blargleness and pain from the 2 large mouth ulcers that have appeared where I accidentally bit my cheek while it was numbed on Monday.

:mad: :eek: :(

she said its cause my surname begins with P , so it woould be far down the list, however, two of my workmates names begin with S !!!

ha ha load of bull ...

crappy country

Ah what a typical answer they gave you! Fob you off with any old yarn just so they don't have to do any work! Crappy country is an understatement.
    *headdesk*

Exams starting on Monday, can't concentrate for **** due to a mixture of general blargleness and pain from the 2 large mouth ulcers that have appeared where I accidentally bit my cheek while it was numbed on Monday.

Damn Kirby, that's an unfortunate sequence of events. Is their no way you can get some leeway for the exams due to the ulcers? That aside, just comfort yourself with the thought that you're nearly done with being an undergrad!

No great loss to be honest mate! Too many Z-list Irish celebs flocking to Lilly Bordello's for my liking.:p

Guess that makes me A Z- Irish celebrity... :o

Was sleeping last night and woke up about half two, couldnt get back to sleep, just couldnt find teh comfy spot...

Le grrr... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

ha ha load of bull ...

crappy country
    That sounds like bullshi-ite. I'd complain...
    *headdesk*

Bonjella it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've got a bottle of Anbesol here (topical lidocaine), I'm only supposed to use it 3-4 times a day, I'm already on about 6...

Ow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im a teenager were allowed be moody all the time...but im in a great mood ha

though grr...irish orals starting on monday and i dont have a clue even what day mine will be on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

last year in a one year period:

grannie died

gf broke up with me... by txt... for another guy

was made redundent

lost 4 months worth of work to a damaged harddrive

dropped out of collage

bestfriend moved away

dog had to be put down

granddad died

actualy, i lie, it was one day less then a year

/winey moan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

last year in a one year period:

grannie died

gf broke up with me... by txt... for another guy

was made redundent

lost 4 months worth of work to a damaged harddrive

dropped out of collage

bestfriend moved away

dog had to be put down

granddad died

actualy, i lie, it was one day less then a year

/winey moan

Aww Hun! Hugs, ((())). That was a crappy year.

Will add mine since Jan 07:

Currently looking for childcare no 5 since Jan 07.
    Baby boy hospitalised 3 times since Jan 07 still on medication.
    Brother killed in car accident Jan 07
    I'm diagnosed with a mild form of epilepsy july 08
    Sister hospitalised with severe crohns attacks twice, Jan 08, Nov 08
    Dad hit by truck Nov 08, crushed ankle and 2 broken neck bones.
    Cousin killed in car accident Feb 09.
    Brother in law loses job, Jan 09
    Uncle diagnosed with leukaemia, Sept 07.
    Sister in law has miscarriage Sept 08
    Best friend has still birth July 08
    Dads best friend dies suddenly Nov 07

And thats just the highlights. :eek::D:eek:
    Just keep grinning, just keep grinning!

Advertisement