Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair needs all your support. Would we really want to lose them?.

• 28-07-2008 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

We as Irish should take pity on the our largest airline company and give them all the support that they need by choosing them for your next flight.

When making your next booking leave your application at the default setting,
    use your credit card, carry more baggage than you actually need, buy their in flight sandwiches, coffee, beer, scratch cards, souvenirs etc from their magazine. :D

If we loose Ryanair we could alll end up having to take that dreaded boat. :eek:

If Ryanair were to go would they be missed or would it be a blessing?

Ryanair would you really like to loose them? 64 votes

Would miss them because of their cheap flights. I never had a problem with them.
    0% 0 votes
    Would miss them because there would be nothing to bitch about anymore..
    65% 42 votes
    Love / hate relationsghip got badly stung but would still use them because they are cheap.
    3% 2 votes
    Got stung once, never again and would be glad to see the back of them
    20% 13 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    10% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Is there a point to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

That's some savage marketing right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Did someone get bitten by the aul default settings on their booking? Tut! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Loose

Lose

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Lump wrote: »
    Is there a point to this?
    Lump! Haven't seen you in aaaaaaaaages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It'd be a blessing. **** airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Deadly airline, absolutely love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Plug wrote: »
    Deadly airline, absolutely love it.

A Mc Donalds with wings..:)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We need all our airlines because together they keep each other on their toes.

If only one survives then you can be damned sure it will become a monopolistic monster...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ryanair are a bunch of bastards. Their business model and success is based upon that of Southwest Airlines in the US. Yet Southwest have a reputation for treating people extremely well and not sacrificing the comfort and dignity of their passengers for the sake of lower prices. Which gives me the impression a lot of Ryanair's flaws are completely unnecessary.

Was listening to Matt Cooper chiding a Ryanir spokesman last week on the radio, yet the spokesman still managed to worm in plenty of marketing-speak about their low-low prices and latest offers. Quelle surprise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

ryanair are great. people really should get used to the idea that short haul flights are nothing other than a flying bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

They are having to come up with more imaginaitve ways to get people on board. See here

I have taken about 30 flights in the last 4 years with Ryanair, only had one very bad cropper with them from Gatwick to Dublin when a morning flight was cancelled, All passengers "conveniently" fitted on to their 5 pm flight on top of this they had no tea or coffee on board. This would not stop me from booking with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Never fly Ryanair and have no intention of flying with them, bmi all the way for me, best short-haul airline for me, that said it is thanks to Ryanair that fares are low with the likes of bmi/Aer Lingus.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

cornbb wrote: »
    Ryanair are a bunch of bastards.
    BASTARDS.
    BASTARDS!!!!!!!

QFT.

I dont need their student prices anymore.
    I dont want their crappy service, hilarious airport choices and ear splitting flying techniques.

I hope they burn O'Leary at the stake.

I flew southwest as well actually. Much better airline in my opinion that any of the American international carriers, let alone ryanair, the hobo's choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

ryanair are great. people really should get used to the idea that short haul flights are nothing other than a flying bus.

This is spot on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Flew one-way to Paris in '98 for €200 with AL before Ryanair were the company they are today. I wouldn't have been able to see my family as often as I did on my wages at the time had it not been for Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

They give free flights away, are comfortable enough, extremely cheap etc.

I'm willing to "sacrifice my comfort and dignity" (whatever that means, I find the planes to be comfortable and never feel my dignity to be affected) for the sake of lower prices. If you don't like it, then fúck off, use another airline and please stop complaining, because some people wish to use Ryanair and like it the way it is, so why should it have to change?

Their ads are also hilarious. The day after the Aer Lingus €5 flights to the US affair, they had the following in the Irish Times: "What do you call a low fare from Aer Lingus? A mistake." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Yea. Michael O 'Leary is such a loveable rogue. How could you not fly with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Finally, someone else gets it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

haven flow both ryanair and aerlingus several times a year for the past 3-4 years for business and pleasure i cannot fault ryanair...i have never been left stranded by them never been more than 20 min late with them...however aerlingus have left me stranded twice this year so far...

I missed the check in in a Stanstead to Dublin flight by half an hour because I got the time wrong, my own fault, I was charged a fee of 50 quid STG to get on the next flight an hour later. I was very glad of this and thought that this was a very reasonable charge as they could have made book the flight from scratch and charged me what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

cornbb wrote: »
    Ryanair are a bunch of bastards.

People who fly ryanair don't seem to get it, you're paying close to nothing to get on a plane and fly to your destination, simple as. Don't expect anything else. Don't complain when they charge for extras that are your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I can't believe it.

I paid .01p excluding taxes for my flight to Ireland from Gatwick and all I got was a seat on a plane that flew me approximately 400 miles!!!

****ing scandalous!

(how much for a bus from your house to the city centre these days?)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I can't believe it.

I paid .01p excluding taxes for my flight to Ireland from Gatwick and all I got was a seat on a plane that flew me approximately 400 miles!!!

****ing scandalous!

(how much for a bus from your house to the city centre these days?)

Jaysus mate.
    Should have driven to be honest.
    That's scandalous lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Typical Irish begrudgery.

WTF do you expect on a flight to Europe that probably costs less than a return train from Belfast to Cork? Champagne and caviar? My only gripe with Ryanair is that their best offers at weekend period are either very early (meaning you need a taxi) or very late (meaning you have to leg it to a hotel upon arriving at your destination if you dont want to waste that night). As for luggage charges, apart from migrants returning to E Europe for good anyone who exceeds their quota deserves a fine. How many clothes do you need for a weekend in Paris or a lads trip in the sun ffs? Seven shirts, shoes, few trousers and shorts, nothing more.

Fair enough, they dont treat their staff well, but apart from that O`Leary is an outlaw, a rebel, a legend. He doesnt give a fcuk what the establishment thinks of him. He speaks his mind. He pisses off people with his ads. He is like a flying Eamon Dunphy :)

And further proof today. Without wanting to give the game away to those who havent seen it anyone see the newspaper ad today in relation to
    the disastrous coke import in Cork by boat

The usual moaners will no doubt be saying their piece over the next few days. TV3 reports showing Katy French and the aftermath of previous drug related gun attacks. And O`Leary will no doubt refuse to apologise and tell them where to go.

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

€50 to fly to France or wherever with Ryanair.

Taxi from city centre to Tallaght or Killiney or Blanch, €25.

Think about people...now make your choice.

Without them we would still have the Aer Lingus rip-off of the 80/90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

lets be honest if it wasnt for Ryanair we would be paying another low cost carrier for flights and we should be proud that it is an Irish company. You need to remember that they are 'Low Cost' and this phrase does not usually go hand in hand with 5 star treatment. I love the way they operate and how outspoken O'Leary is. Look at Irish Rail you could fly dublin to cork cheaper than it would cost you on the train and you are not treated any better on the train than what you are by Ryanair.

Ryanair are one of the first airlines to announce profit decreases, Aerlingus dropped nearly 15% off their share price today, so ryanairs announcement today has nothing to do with the quality of their service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

My son got a same day return from Dublin to Manchester last Thursday for €10 inc all taxes. Its a crying shame, we should start a support group for all those affected by these cheap fares:D

Advertisement