Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Had my checkup with the consultant yesterday, 6.9%. Really happy with that. I had a bad couple of months before Christmas when my levels kept going high but I've been strict with myself since then and it paid off.

Have my name down for the DAFNE course as well. I think I deserve a treat so I'm going to have a couple of beers tonight. : )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Argh - tried something in a supermarket yesterday and asked if it wss low GI as I am a type 1 diabetic , the tester said that I could not have it as it contains honey and that she knew as she is a nurse - what hope do we have if nurses do not have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

tbh wrote: »
    you have to remember - you're looking at your results from your own point of view, whereas your endo is looking at them compared to all of his other patients. He's got a much wider sample than you - so while your results are not the best that you ever got, they are probably a lot better than most of his other patients.

That right there is a major part of my issue with the attitude of my Endo.
    I see my Endo privately every 6 months and its not a cheap visit :(
    I honestly feel that the least I can expect for parting with my cash is some personalised attention.

The fact that compared to broader range of his patients I am outperforming perhaps a majority of them regarding my own control doesn't matter a jot to me really.
    While it may be statistacally relevant in a broader study of how his patients are performing,on a personal doctor/patient level it is just plain frustrating!
    I want to be supported in my efforts for achieving my targets....
    Not to be graded on a curve vis a vis the rest of his patient and plamaused as to my progress when in truth there was/is none as the previous spike was due to prolonged injury anyway.

I know I'm a bit ranty here and a lot of the issue is due to workload and time constraints.
    But my Endo always takes the time to review my history, check my logs, question me and have a chat during each review.
    In fairness he never rushes and always takes time over his patients but to do that, to go the effort of building a relationship and then giving generic one size fits all treatment solutions just seems a waste of his time and my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Well its my daughters 5 year anniversary of diagnoses today....

shes gone horse riding for the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just watching the first epoisode of Blue Bloods, good show, bad science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just watching the first epoisode of Blue Bloods, good show, bad science.
    Was that meant for here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was that meant for here?

Indeed, Diabetic girl gets kidnapped, talk of insulin shock, she needs her insulin or she will die from insulin shock in 24 hours, it wasn't actually that bad, i was just tired and can't multitask, so maybe I misheard what they said.

On a separate note had a horrific hypo about an hour ago, sort of concious but had a pretty vivid hallucination, but I was focused in it and was freaking out because I knew it wasn't right but I couldn't get out of it, pulled myself round in time to get to the ice cream my daughter left defrosting in the fridge. It had been there awhile, but it done the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Hi,
    I was diagnosed with type 2 about one month ago. I had already changed my eating habits since the turn of the year, but the diagnosis has spurred me on again. Since Christmas I have lot about 2 stone, from 20.5/21 back to 18.5st.
    My blood sugar level at diagnosis was 21. With medication and watching what and when I eat, I am below 6 at times and usually not more than 9, some spikes now and again. I have cut out nearly all dairy, although I am starting to drink coffee made with milk in the evening, as I dont usually eat anything after 7pm, eating mostly rice, vegtables and fruit, potatoes now and again, red and white meat mixed into curried brown rice. Also eat breakfast in morning, usually porrige, sometimes muesli or wheatabix or a banana, curried rice or homemade veg soup in work at 10am and 1pm, dinner at 6pm.

My question is, my bloods vary by about 4 points sometimes during the day, which bugs me, as sometimes I cannot see why they have raised. Also my GP told me to contact the diabetic clinic in our local regional hospital, when I rang them, they said there was a two year waiting list, what the hell is that about. So I find myself, trying to figure out how to beat or at least control my diabetes, without any help from my GP (he told me to read websites and refered me to a clinic that was taking any new patients for 2 years) or the diabetic clinic, has anyone any ideas how I can get proper advice?

One positive note, I got my eyes tested as I was having issue reading books for the last couple of months, specsavers said my eyes were ok, but that i needed reading glasses, which i got and it helped me a lot as I work with computers everyday, But in the last week or so, I have noticed what I think is an improvement in my eyesight, and I dont use the glasses as much or feel the need to use them as much anymore :) Could this be down to an improvement in my blood sugars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Hey guys

First post in here. I'm a type 1 diabetic since 2004. My clinic is in Beaumount and I've no complaints about it. I was there in January, but actually forgot to ask this but are people with Longterm Illnesses still being given a free GP card? I'm confused whether the government cancelled the scheme?

If we are entitled to it, does anyone know when we might get it?

Sorry if this has already been asked, did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Argh - I lost my blood testing kit - I think that someone thought that it was a wallet. I am lucky that I have a spare but it is not as good. I carry mine with me everywhere, along with my insulin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hey guys

First post in here. I'm a type 1 diabetic since 2004. My clinic is in Beaumount and I've no complaints about it. I was there in January, but actually forgot to ask this but are people with Longterm Illnesses still being given a free GP card? I'm confused whether the government cancelled the scheme?

If we are entitled to it, does anyone know when we might get it?

Sorry if this has already been asked, did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

I think they are to begin rolling it out in March. Haven't read about it being cancelled. There was an article on diabetes.ie, can't access it on my phone though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Hi,
    I was diagnosed with type 2 about one month ago. I had already changed my eating habits since the turn of the year, but the diagnosis has spurred me on again. Since Christmas I have lot about 2 stone, from 20.5/21 back to 18.5st.
    My blood sugar level at diagnosis was 21. With medication and watching what and when I eat, I am below 6 at times and usually not more than 9, some spikes now and again. I have cut out nearly all dairy, although I am starting to drink coffee made with milk in the evening, as I dont usually eat anything after 7pm, eating mostly rice, vegtables and fruit, potatoes now and again, red and white meat mixed into curried brown rice. Also eat breakfast in morning, usually porrige, sometimes muesli or wheatabix or a banana, curried rice or homemade veg soup in work at 10am and 1pm, dinner at 6pm.

My question is, my bloods vary by about 4 points sometimes during the day, which bugs me, as sometimes I cannot see why they have raised. Also my GP told me to contact the diabetic clinic in our local regional hospital, when I rang them, they said there was a two year waiting list, what the hell is that about. So I find myself, trying to figure out how to beat or at least control my diabetes, without any help from my GP (he told me to read websites and refered me to a clinic that was taking any new patients for 2 years) or the diabetic clinic, has anyone any ideas how I can get proper advice?

One positive note, I got my eyes tested as I was having issue reading books for the last couple of months, specsavers said my eyes were ok, but that i needed reading glasses, which i got and it helped me a lot as I work with computers everyday, But in the last week or so, I have noticed what I think is an improvement in my eyesight, and I dont use the glasses as much or feel the need to use them as much anymore :) Could this be down to an improvement in my blood sugars?

I was diagnosed back in 99 in Sydney and for years had my type 2 so under control that I was considered 'cured'. However after a serious operation 3 years ago followed by an (stupid on my part) incident that had me back in the hospital a week later it appears my diabetes came back with a wallop. But, as I was deemed 'cured' I no longer had a glucose monitor or way of checking it.

Long story short, this time last year my GP ran checks and my blood sugars were averaging 21. He applied then to get me into a Diabetes clinic - we are still waiting.

After much experimentation with meds we have it under control now (9 would be a very high score for me) - I am on a combination of diamicron and victoza. Originally it was 4 diamicron in the morning and 0.6 ml of victoza in the evening but I did notice the diamicron had a very negative impact on my eyesight. It does state in the leaflet that it can affect your eyes in the short-term but for 8 months for at least 2 hours everyday after taking it it was like I was wearing Mr Magoo's glasses. It was horrible and scary. Normally I don't wear glasses at all, even for reading, and in eye tests everything was ok.

About 2 months ago I insisted on reducing the diamicron as it was making life very difficult - since he reduced the diamicron to 2 and increased the victoza to 1.2 ml I still have some eye issues in the morning but nothing like before.

It could be the meds affecting your eyes.

As for the Diabetes Clinic....don't hold your breath I'm afraid. A year in and the only medical care I have received is from my GP - no sign of me seeing an endo or attending a clinic in the near future.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I was diagnosed back in 99 in Sydney and for years had my type 2 so under control that I was considered 'cured'. However after a serious operation 3 years ago followed by an (stupid on my part) incident that had me back in the hospital a week later it appears my diabetes came back with a wallop. But, as I was deemed 'cured' I no longer had a glucose monitor or way of checking it.

Long story short, this time last year my GP ran checks and my blood sugars were averaging 21. He applied then to get me into a Diabetes clinic - we are still waiting.

After much experimentation with meds we have it under control now (9 would be a very high score for me) - I am on a combination of diamicron and victoza. Originally it was 4 diamicron in the morning and 0.6 ml of victoza in the evening but I did notice the diamicron had a very negative impact on my eyesight. It does state in the leaflet that it can affect your eyes in the short-term but for 8 months for at least 2 hours everyday after taking it it was like I was wearing Mr Magoo's glasses. It was horrible and scary. Normally I don't wear glasses at all, even for reading, and in eye tests everything was ok.

About 2 months ago I insisted on reducing the diamicron as it was making life very difficult - since he reduced the diamicron to 2 and increased the victoza to 1.2 ml I still have some eye issues in the morning but nothing like before.

As for the Diabetes Clinic....don't hold your breath I'm afraid. A year in and the only medical care I have received is from my GP - no sign of me seeing an endo or attending a clinic in the near future.

I find the clinic thing amazing, my GP is about as much use as a chocolate teapot in the sahara, his answer is to ask me to look up the same websites I would be looking at anyway.
    My eye issues were especially problematic in the mornings, hazy and blurry, this was before I was diagnosed and before medication. With my bloods a bit better, my eyes seem a bit better as well. I am on 500mg of glucophage x 2 per day at present.

What do people think about the Newcastle diet, I read the comments earlier about the sugar level, surely you would have to have a competant GP who fully understood diabetes to even try it? Also did these patients takes their meds while doing the trial or do they drop using meds for the 8 weeks?

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I find the clinic thing amazing, my GP is about as much use as a chocolate teapot in the sahara, his answer is to ask me to look up the same websites I would be looking at anyway.
    My eye issues were especially problematic in the mornings, hazy and blurry, this was before I was diagnosed and before medication. With my bloods a bit better, my eyes seem a bit better as well. I am on 500mg of glucophage x 2 per day at present.

What do people think about the Newcastle diet, I read the comments earlier about the sugar level, surely you would have to have a competant GP who fully understood diabetes to even try it? Also did these patients takes their meds while doing the trial or do they drop using meds for the 8 weeks?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I found that in Oz they prefer people to try the controlled diet option rather then go straight on to meds which seems to be the preferred option here- my sister wasn't given the choice.
    Type 2 runs in my father's side of the family - something that was discovered in 1962 when my aunt died due to complications from it, my grandmother also died from complications in the 1973. My father was diagnosed in 1979 and his brother in 1984 so we are pretty experienced with it as a family.

My GP in Sydney was excellent and put me on a very controlled diet but nothing as extreme as the Newcastle diet and until 2009 it seemed as if I was 'cured' but then due to the physical stress of an unrelated medical condition which required surgery (and lots of morphine and hospital stays every month for 6 months) it came back with a vengeance and resisted treatment for months.

We have had the same family GP in Cork for 30 years and he knows his stuff but due to the insane waiting lists to get access to consultants and clinics he was put to the pin of his collar devising a treatment plan for me.

I did laugh at the announcement of the recent campaign to get people to have themselves checked for diabetes - funny how they never mentioned that once diagnosed there is little or no follow up due to cutbacks. :rolleyes:

Mr Reilly is a pompous clown. I have no doubt there is waste in the HSE, but his solution is to cut everywhere, I would imagine with the idea that the health boards will get their act together and sort out and put their own house in order, which is highly unlikely as it appears to be full of a) incompetant people and b) staff that either have a handy number or dont give a damn.
    I did a course last year with a guy who did some consultancy for the one of the health boards and he met a person, fully employed and pensioned by the HSE, who did nothing, and who was PROUD to tell people that they had a job that they actually did not have to do anything, and this person actually done nothing, but was still pulling a wage every week. I have met people in the public sector who hate their jobs! Howcan you hae your job and then do it properly???

My Aunty is doing it at the minute, she asked her Doc was it OK for her before hand, he just said fire away.:rolleyes:

She lost a stone in the first 3 weeks, on week 4 at the minute, sugar levels from finger prick machine are staying in the 5-9 range...she wasn't type 2 for very long before hand.

I've been at her to go in and get blood pressure/cholesterol and those types of things checked as from my reading of the diet, these can go right out of whack.

The Doctor-info sheet says...
    Medication
    a) Sulphonylureas. These agents can be withdrawn with benefit in order to ensure that hypoglycaemia cannot occur.
    b) Insulin. At the time of commencement of decreasing food intake, insulin dose in type 2 diabetes may be substantially decreased, and advice to cut insulin dose by approximately 50% is appropriate. Monitoring of blood glucose must be done daily with a plan to contact appropriate healthcare professional if blood glucose levels become very high (fasting over 10mmol per litre) or very low.
    c) Other Medication. All other oral hypoglycaemic agents can be decreased or stopped in accordance with degree of control achieved.
    that meds can be stopped, Aunt is staying on them unless levels drop down around 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet has good bit of info and leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dbtyp1

WOAH!

Sir - or Madam - You win. You definitely win. No longlasting damage I hope?

In the true spirit of internet one-upmanship.......... was feeling a bit off for a day or two and ended up in the ER. Passed out - came around with that distinct feeling of being surrounded by muppets.

"This is diabetes" says i
    "Oh noes " , " you are too thin for that" says the doctor
    muppet alert
    "What are you basing it on"
    "Cant see properly , am dying , pls check my blood , "
    "I did,its ok " said the doc
    "I'll check it myself" said the nurse - "Its 98" - "you have diabetes ok"
    more or less meaningless to me at the time.... might have as well been 45 squirrells over 9 badgers
    shed load of insulin and top care by the girls of ICU and back in action

tl;dr cept for sharp nurse wouldn't be here

dbtyp1 wrote: »
    muppet alert
    :pac:

Who sells Optifast in Ireland?

• Advertisement

i am going to try slimfast, just a couple of meal replacements during the week and see how it goes. Might go all out at some stage. :)

Who sells Optifast in Ireland?
    i am going to try slimfast, just a couple of meal replacements during the week and see how it goes. Might go all out at some stage. :)
    It doesn't have to be Optifast, that's just what the study used. You can get it through ebay (I think that's the only place you'll get them) but slimfast is fine, that's what Aunt is using, slightly more calories in Slimfast shake if you follow directions on the Tub. No harm in that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

dbtyp1 wrote: »
    In the true spirit of internet one-upmanship.......... was feeling a bit off for a day or two and ended up in the ER. Passed out - came around with that distinct feeling of being surrounded by muppets.

"Oh noes " , " you are too thin for that" says the doctor
    muppet alert
    "What are you basing it on"
    "Cant see properly , am dying , pls check my blood , "
    "I did,its ok " said the doc
    "I'll check it myself" said the nurse
    "Its 98"
    more or less meaningless to me at the time.... might have well been 45 squirrells over 9 badgers
    shed load of insulin and top care by the girls of ICU and back in action

tl;dr ; cept for sharp nurse wouldn't be here
    lol:D:D. Been a while since i had a bad hypo but that sums it up for me. Thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dbtyp1

Yip, DKA - not a recommended method of proving you have diabetes

Just out of interest, checked my bloods before dinner this evening 5.2 (7.4 at lunchtime before a slimfast shake) (dinner was chicken wrapped in bacon, pepper sauce and potatoes), then checked two hours later 8.3 then after 3 hours 4.8/5.1 (checked twice)
    Question, are these good or are they fluctuating too much (4.8/5.1 are my lowest so far)

Just out of interest, checked my bloods before dinner this evening 5.2 (7.4 at lunchtime before a slimfast shake) (dinner was chicken wrapped in bacon, pepper sauce and potatoes), then checked two hours later 8.3 then after 3 hours 4.8/5.1 (checked twice)
    Question, are these good or are they fluctuating too much (4.8/5.1 are my lowest so far)
    You'll have that drop off between the second and third hour after eating as your body finishes up dealing with the Carbs/sugar/starch.

They are good levels, your're only borderline type 2 I'd say.
    (7.4 at lunchtime before a slimfast shake)
    You must have only just finished breakfast.:p

just noticed this...
    One positive note, I got my eyes tested as I was having issue reading books for the last couple of months, specsavers said my eyes were ok, but that i needed reading glasses, which i got and it helped me a lot as I work with computers everyday, But in the last week or so, I have noticed what I think is an improvement in my eyesight, and I dont use the glasses as much or feel the need to use them as much anymore Could this be down to an improvement in my blood sugars?

As blood sugars go up or down in diabetes, vision can change. Less glucose in the blood, blood is thinner-->better circulation.

Install this http://stereopsis.com/flux/ on your computer (everyone should) you won't notice it during the day but it's a godsend if using computer at night.

It'll automatically bring down the brightness of your screen (works for tvs aswell). No more rubbing sore eyes. Takes just a minute to install and can be turned off in a sec by right clicking the icon down in the bottom corner of your screen.

Good exercise for eyes is...
    Stand beside a window and look at something (abit away) outside, then look at the actual window glass, then look back at whatever you were looking at outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

8.3 two hours after a meal is great - those levels are very good, I'd be delighted with them.

8.3 two hours after a meal is great - those levels are very good, I'd be delighted with them.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for asking so many questions, seeing as getting medical advice is 2 years away :)

Today checked bloods around 10am and got 12.7, which was nuts considering I had done nothing out of the ordinary. Tested again and got 5.7. Question, If you delay turning on the tester and getting blood onto the strip, or have trouble with the strip, can it give false readings. I had the same issue in the afternoon, delayed the blood onto the strip, then it read 2.5 !!! I knew I was fine, checked again and was 6.3 or something
    I suppose my only thought is, the +/-7% how real is that?

Also as I was told there was a waiting list for two years in the Waterford clinic, I did not do anymore on this. What way do you apply to go on the waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for asking so many questions, seeing as getting medical advice is 2 years away :)

Today checked bloods around 10am and got 12.7, which was nuts considering I had done nothing out of the ordinary. Tested again and got 5.7. Question, If you delay turning on the tester and getting blood onto the strip, or have trouble with the strip, can it give false readings. I had the same issue in the afternoon, delayed the blood onto the strip, then it read 2.5 !!! I knew I was fine, checked again and was 6.3 or something
    I suppose my only thought is, the +/-7% how real is that?

Also as I was told there was a waiting list for two years in the Waterford clinic, I did not do anymore on this. What way do you apply to go on the waiting list?

It sounds like you have a very dodgy meter. If there is a 1800 telephone number on it you can call up customer service and they will send you a new one free of charge.

• Advertisement

I will keep an eye on the meter for a few days, if the results vary too much I will give them a call.

Advertisement