Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Deals scam

• 17-01-2012 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

A boards deal appeared on the 13th of January for "€22 instead of €72 for Full Iridescent Crystal Shamballa Bracelet delivered".

An hour later, someone posted that this appeared to be a terrible deal and was instead the normal retail price for this product.

Boards Deals Niamh responds claiming that the products on other sites "may be cheaper, lower quality versions of these bracelets" which is
    A)A terrible thing to claim about other businesses products
    and
    B)A terrible response to people pointing out that this wasn't a deal of any kind.

Dudara said I should take it to feedback, so I did some digging beforehand.

1)Ownu.co.uk is in breach of the Companies Act in the UK, as it does not appear to display Company Registration information on any of it's pages
    2)The website was only registered a few months ago
    3)Ownu.co.uk claims to be owned and ran by the same people who own and run seasonsonline.co.uk.

Look here: http://www.ownu.co.uk/full-iridescent-crystal-shamballa-bracelet.htm
    Now, look here: http://www.seasonsonline.co.uk/bracelets-bangles/full-iridescent-crystal-shamballa-bracelet.html

Same company, same details, same image, sent from the same location by the same people but one is £14.99 and one is £60.00(but frequently appearing on deal websites for between 14.99 and 19.99).

Boards Deals:Niamh excuse is that the exact same product from the exact same company "may be cheaper, lower quality versions of these bracelets".

Ya right.

This isn't the first time I've noticed incredibly creative accounting on Boards Deals, but it's certainly the worst.
    This is a scam, nothing more and Niamh's response to it was to cast aspersions on companies who don't scam customers and put her fingers in her ears.

What gives Boards? If i was a private individual doing this on adverts I'd be banned.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Tragedy wrote: »
    This isn't the first time I've noticed incredibly creative accounting on Boards Deals, but it's certainly the worst.
    This is a scam, nothing more and Niamh's response to it was to cast aspersions on companies who don't scam customers and put her fingers in her ears.

What gives Boards? If i was a private individual doing this on adverts I'd be banned.

And how is it a scam? Going to the Ownu.co.uk site and you've a list price there of £60 ex delivery. Boardsdeals is offering the same thing for €22. Deal = On. The fact you can go elsewhere to get a better offer is neither here nor there, you can walk into most high street shops and announce "You call this January Sales? Hah, I can get most of this stuff cheaper down the street" if you want, it's up to buyers to do their research.

That Ownu.co.uk have conveniently left out that they seem to run this SeasonsOnline site is not BoardsDeals' fault. Should BoardsDeals investigate all companies who wish to do business with them for what can maybe be termed "Sharp Practice"? Should they get tax compliance certificates or investigate their business ethics beforehand, or should they trust that their users aren't rehabs and can decide if something is a deal themselves.

There's a tragedy here all right, but it's that this is an issue at all. I also believe that if you posted something on Adverts with a crazy price and I hopped in and told you I'd get banned for threadspoiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

And how is it a scam? Going to the Ownu.co.uk site and you've a list price there of £60 ex delivery.
    The website ownu.co.uk seems to have been setup purely to hike prices up to offer false 'deals'. Ownu.co.uk isn't an incorporated business in the UK and seems to be operating illegally.
    Boardsdeals is offering the same thing for €22. Deal = On.
    And claiming that the usual retail price is €70, and claiming other competitors identical products may be of lesser quality when questioned on it.
    The fact you can go elsewhere to get a better offer is neither here nor there
    It is when it's the exact same product sold by the exact same company. You even pay the exact same company for both (Sifay International Ltd).
    you can walk into most high street shops and announce "You call this January Sales? Hah, I can get most of this stuff cheaper down the street" if you want, it's up to buyers to do their research.
    Which is an analogy that has nothing to do with the current situtation. There's a reason companies have to have had an item priced at X amount for Y time before they can claim to have a sale on said item.
    That Ownu.co.uk have conveniently left out that they seem to run this SeasonsOnline site is not BoardsDeals' fault.
    Yes it is, you're paying Boards Deals and your contract is with Boards Deals. Elementary but you don't seem to understand it.
    Should BoardsDeals investigate all companies who wish to do business with them for what can maybe be termed "Sharp Practice"?
    Yes.
    Should they get tax compliance certificates or investigate their business ethics beforehand, or should they trust that their users aren't rehabs and can decide if something is a deal themselves.
    What does that have to do with anything? Another idiotic analogy.
    There's a tragedy here all right, but it's that this is an issue at all. I also believe that if you posted something on Adverts with a crazy price and I hopped in and told you I'd get banned for threadspoiling.
    My mistake, you wouldn't be banned.
    Profiteering: Attempting to sell an item above the Recommended Retail Price (RRP)
    Adverts.ie is a community marketplace and does not encourage profiteering. In cases where an item is suspected of being sold above the RRP, registered Adverts.ie users reserve the right to report the listing to Adverts.ie Support for review. The claim is then reviewed by Adverts.ie Moderators and:

If the reported RRP claim is found to be incorrect, the reporting user will be notified, and your listing will not be affected.
    If the RRP claim is upheld, an adverts moderator will post a comment on your thread linking to the RRP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The website ownu.co.uk seems to have been setup purely to hike prices up to offer false 'deals'. Ownu.co.uk isn't an incorporated business in the UK and seems to be operating illegally.

You don't have to be incorporated to sell stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What does that have to do with anything? Another idiotic analogy.

Not quite pointless. When is enough research into a company enough for you then? How much time, money and resources should be spent on this to placate people like yourself who seem more than capable of researching deals and their value of their own volition?

Ownu.co.uk have been around for a few months, during that time I'm going to assume the bracelet remained on sale for £60; it has met the whole "has to be on sale" time limit already.

PC World, Dixons and Currys are owned by the same company. Sometimes deals/sales go on in Currys where even the reduced price is more expensive than PC World. What's the difference really? Would you have nothing to say if the two sites were different companies but were owned by a parent company? I'm still struggling to relate to your issue here, and I think you're more annoyed by the fact Niamh didn't listen to you than the actual point about the two companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... The fact you can go elsewhere to get a better offer is neither here nor there...

OP has a point. The fact that you can go to the same place and get a better deal is significant. Both firms operate from the same address. It looks like sharp practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sharp practice indeed, but it's not Boards Deals that's pulling the wool over, it's Seasonsonline that are doing this. Has the OP contacted Seasonsonline to ask them any of these questions?

As for the response about other sites may be selling inferior products, I think the OP is failing to see the word may in that sentence. Other sites may indeed be selling inferior products, there's nothing wrong with that claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Forgive me if I don't get upset over a product that is "..in keeping with celebrity fashion..." and contains "...10mm iridescent crystal disco balls..."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jor el wrote: »
    Sharp practice indeed, but it's not Boards Deals that's pulling the wool over, it's Seasonsonline that are doing this. Has the OP contacted Seasonsonline to ask them any of these questions? ...

My read on it is that Boards Deals has been taken in by sharp practice. The best response, now that it seems apparent that this is so, is cancel the deal (if it is still current) and make no future deals with this outfit.

I really do not think it incumbent on OP to investigate the matter further. This is not Watchdog and we are not answerable to Anne Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

My read on it is that Boards Deals has been taken in by sharp practice. The best response, now that it seems apparent that this is so, is cancel the deal (if it is still current) and make no future deals with this outfit.

I really do not think it incumbent on OP to investigate the matter further. This is not Watchdog and we are not answerable to Anne Robinson.

Looks like it, but I think the OP is as concerned about the response from "Boards Deals" as he/she is about the so called 'scam'.

OWNU and Seasonsonline are definitely run by the same director, and actually run on the same server, so if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

Bottom line seems to be that this "deal" is far from a "deal", and this has been highlighted by the OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Definitely not much of a deal; mind you, any price for iridescent crystal disco balls is unlikely to be much of a deal for anyone...

But what's worse? BoardsDeals not doing much home work, or the OP throwing out allegations of illegality?

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    Sharp practice indeed, but it's not Boards Deals that's pulling the wool over, it's Seasonsonline that are doing this. Has the OP contacted Seasonsonline to ask them any of these questions?
    Seasonsonline/ownu are not selling boards deals customers a product, Boards Deals is.
    As for the response about other sites may be selling inferior products, I think the OP is failing to see the word may in that sentence. Other sites may indeed be selling inferior products, there's nothing wrong with that claim.
    I don't think people should listen to you, you may be a paedophile(*).
    Using may as a weasel word isn't good enough. Clearly, none of the businesses selling disco balls give a **** what Boards Deals Niamh says, but using 'may' to cast aspersions on individuals and companies is both morally repugnant and shown to be legally unacceptable. Completely not on from the representative of a company in either case.
    drkpower wrote: »
    But what's worse? BoardsDeals not doing much home work, or the OP throwing out allegations of illegality?
    Sorry, I should have said "in apparent breach of several Distance Selling Regulations and parts of the Companies Act".
    To be honest, I'm less interested in ownu.co.uk and whatever shenanigans they get up to than with
    a)Boards Deals apparent lack of care for who they do business with and what 'deals' they sell
    and
    b)Their representatives response to someone raising this issue(and no, not me).

*Obviously exaggerating

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I don't think people should listen to you, you may be a paedophile(*).

*Obviously exaggerating

What ? :confused:

MugMugs wrote: »
    What ? :confused:

He claimed that inserting 'may' into an otherwise insulting/damaging/libellous statement based on zero evidence makes it acceptable, because you're only claiming it may be true. I was just taking the piss to show that I believe his opinion is nonsense :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with the OP.

What the item is is irrelevant. The fact that Boards Deals is using their relationship with Boardsies to foist a dodgy deal on them is what is of concern. Given the high standard of integrity demanded by Boards of their members - nothing wrong with that - it is a bit much to then try to take advantage of that sense of trust by offering a 'deal' that isn't special value.

The business with the two websites is a pretty obvious scam, the two sites knew what they were doing when they offered the deal to Boards. Boards should have had basic provisions in place to make sure they were not going to be used as an extension of the undercutting scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Looks like it, but I think the OP is as concerned about the response from "Boards Deals" as he/she is about the so called 'scam'.

Bottom line seems to be that this "deal" is far from a "deal", and this has been highlighted by the OP...
    From what I can tell, someone looked at this deal and said, "You can get the same thing at another site for the deal price, this isn't a deal.".
    To which Niamh responded (effectively), "Items sold on another site at a cheaper price may be cheaper versions of this product, they're not the same product on offer here".

That's a reasonable response IMO given the information that she had. As far as BoardsDeals know, they are offering a voucher for a product sold on one site. Other products sold on unrelated sites are irrelevant.

Tragedy did some digging and uncovered the company's unethical method of sales. But rather than alert BoardsDeals to this sharp practice, he has decided that BoardsDeals are running some kind of scam.

Is there a reason why you didn't contact BoardsDeals to alert them to the fact that the same company runs both websites?

seamus wrote: »
    From what I can tell, someone looked at this deal and said, "You can get the same thing at another site for the deal price, this isn't a deal.".
    To which Niamh responded (effectively), "Items sold on another site at a cheaper price may be cheaper versions of this product, they're not the same product on offer here".

That's a reasonable response IMO given the information that she had. As far as BoardsDeals know, they are offering a voucher for a product sold on one site. Other products sold on unrelated sites are irrelevant.

Tragedy did some digging and uncovered the company's unethical method of sales. But rather than alert BoardsDeals to this sharp practice, he has decided that BoardsDeals are running some kind of scam.

I've no real idea about the chronological order of events, nor the exact response from Niamh, as I can only respond to what has been posted in the OP.

To me it's quite clear that the other site are involved in sharp practice, there is no 'deal', and boardsdeals have become an "unwitting" victim in this.

Do boards have a responsibility to ensure that a "deal" is a "deal"? Should somebody representing boardsdeals have suspended the "deal" contact the company and ask for a clarification? Probably. Instead Niamh suggested that the other bracelets could be of inferior quality, that's also possible I guess.
    Is there a reason why you didn't contact BoardsDeals to alert them to the fact that the same company runs both websites?
    Is that aimed at me???

Do boards have a responsibility to ensure that a "deal" is a "deal"? Should somebody representing boardsdeals have suspended the "deal" contact the company and ask for a clarification? Probably.
    No, there was no reason for the deal to be suspended and investigated. Here's the thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056515106

If I looked at that without any other information, it would appear that people are saying, "Look, you can get these cheaper elsewhere". As Niamh rightly points out, the deal was for that particular site, and most reasonable people would conclude that the other sites were probably selling cheaper versions of this same "celebrity" item; how else would they justify the cheap cost?
    When most people see a higher priced item, they assume it's of better quality, they don't assume it's a ripoff. It's a cognitive biase and it's how the sharp practice works.
    Is that aimed at me???
    No, at the OP.

Boardsdeals accepted the business from this company and (I'm assuming) took them at face value that this bracelet offer was a deal. On the face of it a 70% discount on any item looks like a deal. From what I can gather, the OP suggested to a representative of Boards Deals that not only was this not a deal, but that the same company had a sister website selling (what appears to be) the same product at a substantial discount.

You claim that there was no need for the 'deal to be suspended and investigated' that it looked like a deal, but only because of the ignorance of others, I'd disagree.

I do think that boardsdeals have a responsibility whereby if they offer a deal, it's a deal. I wouldn't think that that's too much to ask.

If it happened in my business, and it was brought to my attention that this could be some manner of sharp practice, I would not assume, nor would I allow my customers to assume, that x was of inferior or superior quality.

Here's what I'd do. I'd contact the third party, ask them the relevant question, and then act on that information.

From what I can gather, the OP suggested to a representative of Boards Deals that not only was this not a deal, but that the same company had a sister website selling (what appears to be) the same product at a substantial discount.
    He didn't. Look at the thread. Nobody at any stage pointed out to Boards Deals that the websites were related or had anything to do with eachother. If they did, perhaps something could have been done about it.

That's the point.

The OP himself even initially thought that the websites were unrelated (citing defamation) until he investigated them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

... This isn't the first time I've noticed incredibly creative accounting on Boards Deals, but it's certainly the worst.

My first reaction to your post was gratitude. You have obviously done your research and have been concise and clear in presenting the facts you've uncovered. Thank you!

I am astounded at the resistance your post has been met with.

I hope that if you spot something like this again in the future that you will not be put off posting a warning because of the bad reaction you received.

Thank you Tragedy for taking your time to provide a public service.

I am astounded at the resistance your post has been met with.
    I don't think he's being met with resistance. Rather he's getting criticism for coming in all guns blazing, making accusations of scamming and misinformation on the part of BoardsDeals, rather than applying the two concepts of Hanlon's and Occam's Razors.

That is, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

The simplest explanation is that BoardsDeals were unaware that this was a scam, and remained unaware because nobody brought it to their attention.

Now that Tragedy has done good work in highlighting it, no doubt they have been investigating the deal offered by the company and are working on a way to deal with it.

I would expect to see a response from BoardsDeals on this today.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dudara said I should take it to feedback, so I did some digging beforehand.

How come you cannot discuss it in the Boards Deals forum?

It can be discussed in here no problem, but none of us really have any say or really know much about the running of Boardsdeals.ie.
    Personally, I consider it a totally different website to Boards.ie itself.
    A sister site if you like.

He didn't. Look at the thread. Nobody at any stage pointed out to Boards Deals that the websites were related or had anything to do with eachother. If they did, perhaps something could have been done about it.

That's the point.

The OP himself even initially thought that the websites were unrelated (citing defamation) until he investigated them.

From post number 2 on the deals page you linked to:
    deadmeat wrote: »

Post #4 asks if this is a scam?

I don't know what went on privately or via PM between Niamh, dudara and the op, but I don't really see the issue here to be honest.

Boardsdeal offered a deal, that is not a deal. Their users/customers have been duped by this 3rd party (on the face of things). I believe that the claims made by the OP, poster number 2 and poster number 4 should have been instigated with the party offering the item, and in doing that, all ambiguity is avoided.

I'm not suggesting that this should be the formula for every deal, but when it's pointed out that this is a "rip off" and 486 of your users/customers have been 'had', I do think that boards has a responsibility to act. Do you not?

The simplest explanation is that BoardsDeals were unaware that this was a scam, and remained unaware because nobody brought it to their attention..
    deadmeat wrote: »
    Is this bracelet https://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/22-instead-of-72-for-Full-Iridescent-Crystal-Shamballa-Bracelet-delivered/683/ not exactly the same as these ones, they even use the exact same image

http://www.seasonsonline.co.uk/bracelets-bangles/full-iridescent-crystal-shamballa-bracelet.html
    http://www.nicksbargainjewellery.co.uk/iridescent-shamballa-bracelet-248-p.asp

They claim that this was £60 on their own website http://www.ownu.co.uk/full-iridescent-crystal-shamballa-bracelet.htm

This ranges between £12.45 and £16.49 on all the other sites I have seen

Doesn't look like a deal to me more like the price it should have been in the first place

From post number 2 on the deals page you linked to:
    Post #4 asks if this is a scam?
    Yes, but both provide links to other websites. Exactly the same as saying, "You can get this cheaper elsewhere". Fine. That's not a scam. If I was looking at that thread, I would see nothing prompting me to investigate. I would assume that the other sites were selling cheap knock-offs.
    but when it's pointed out that this is a "rip off" and 486 of your users/customers have been 'had', I do think that boards has a responsibility to act. Do you not?
    Absolutely. And since they were alerted to this rip off less than 24 hours ago via this thread, then I would give them a bit of time to respond.

Yes, but both provide links to other websites. Exactly the same as saying, "You can get this cheaper elsewhere". Fine. That's not a scam. If I was looking at that thread, I would see nothing prompting me to investigate. I would assume that the other sites were selling cheap knock-offs.
    The question is quite clearly asked. Is this the same bracelet? Now, I don't expect Niamh to know the answer to that question, but somebody who might would be the 3rd party offering the product. It would hardly take 5 minutes to blast off an email or make a call and ask the question. That way, boards customers can be assured that this is/is not the same good.

I believe that instead of speculating on the quality of 'similar' bracelets, it was incumbent on boardsdeals to act in the best interest of their customers, and I don't think they did. Even when it was pointed out that both sites used the same picture????
    Absolutely. And since they were alerted to this rip off less than 24 hours ago via this thread, then I would give them a bit of time to respond.
    they were actually asked the question 1 hour after the deal was posted.

The question is quite clearly asked.
    they were actually asked the question 1 hour after the deal was posted.
    I disagree. If I add anything more, we'll just be going around in circles, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Beruthiel wrote: »
    How come you cannot discuss it in the Boards Deals forum?

It can be discussed in here no problem, but none of us really have any say or really know much about the running of Boardsdeals.ie.
    Personally, I consider it a totally different website to Boards.ie itself.
    A sister site if you like.

It's a different site to boards fair enough, but it's using the boards population as a carrot in its business.

On the boardsdeal website it says

"Boards.ie is Ireland's biggest discussion forum. With 2.2 million visitors per month we rival national primetime television in terms of audience.
    Now, Boards.ie brings you BoardsDeals - amazing and exclusive deals from all around Ireland!"

Obviously I don't know, but I assume that when boardsdeals is looking for people to do business with, they don't forget to point out that boards has tonnes of users, is a trusted brand, etc etc. Which is grand, I doubt anyone has a problem with the people behind boards making a bit of money off all the goodwill they've built up.

Problem is, that goodwill will disappear rapid if boardsdeals are going to customers saying "we have all these people, you can flog 'em any aul shite" instead of saying "we want to ensure that the people who use our service are getting a good deal and if we can't ensure that, we're not interested".

If the perception grows that it's the former rather than the latter, it damages boards as a whole. If boards.ie want to break the connect with boardsdeals - which they won't, because boards.ie is the USP here - then rename it irishdeals.ie, let them build up their customer base like any other deals site, and remove all refs to boards from the boardsdeals site.

But I'm surprised anyone has to even ask "should boardsdeals be checking up on companies.." etc- of course they should - boardsdeals' first priority should be the people buying the deals, not the people selling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Damn bloody excellent post there tbh!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement