Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Male university students can't dress for sh1t.

• 24-11-2014 9:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

This is something I've become more aware of recently. They get away with it too. The other day I was wearing a pair of goods jeans and a cotton jumper. Some twat said to me "gee, look at you all dressed up, are you going out?" I looked around, and most of the fellas were wearing jerseys and pyjama pants. The girls dress quite good. You'd think taking an interest in one's own appearance would come naturally, but I'd nearly feel a bit odd dressing well in certain circles.

It's hilarious then when you see a fellas with his girlfriend, with her dressed so well with the jeans pulled up high, and then him sauntering along with a pair of fat man pants often practically falling off the waist. Are university students this poor, because I'd assume male students dressed better 20 years ago. Or maybe it's the dumbing down of these new generations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

Do you mean to say this with some sort of authority or are you simply pontificating?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Steppin Out

Do you mean to say this with some sort of authority or are you simply pontificating?
    What difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

Just want context and clarity that's all. So, once again, do you have authority on the matter of student style or are you just expressing an opinion?

The whole idea of context is that someone can decide whether or not to take a post seriously based on your authority or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I love wearing fatman pants, they give so much freedom to a certain area :v

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Why would anybody be so judgemental that they care about what other people wear? As long as clothes are clean and aren't falling apart, and the person has good personal hygiene, it's good enough. Jeans are horrible things that are very uncomfortable. Men don't have the luxury of jeggings so why on earth would they walk around in something that uncomfortable just to please other people?

I hate the idea of doing anything unnecessary for the sake of pleasing other people. Fair enough if someone wants to dress well but nobody else is under any obligation not to wear fatmans, which happen to be very comfortable. Tell me OP, what about girls that wear running leggings on a daily basis?

I guess my main question though is; why do you care and why should we?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

sup_dude wrote: »
    Why would anybody be so judgemental that they care about what other people wear? As long as clothes are clean and aren't falling apart, and the person has good personal hygiene, it's good enough. Jeans are horrible things that are very uncomfortable. Men don't have the luxury of jeggings so why on earth would they walk around in something that uncomfortable just to please other people?

I hate the idea of doing anything unnecessary for the sake of pleasing other people. Fair enough if someone wants to dress well but nobody else is under any obligation not to wear fatmans, which happen to be very comfortable. Tell me OP, what about girls that wear running leggings on a daily basis?

Especially when it's just when you wake up in the morning and are thinking about college itself and not what you're going to wear, it's just easier and more comfortable and most people put effort in when they're going out socially. When you leave college and settle into a career there'll be a requirement to dress nicely, then more people will put the effort in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Jeez you may be a bit short of things to worry about.

Do students ever think of changing society for the better these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭letsgetloud

This is something I've become more aware of recently. They get away with it too. The other day I was wearing a pair of goods jeans and a cotton jumper. Some twat said to me "gee, look at you all dressed up, are you going out?" I looked around, and most of the fellas were wearing jerseys and pyjama pants. The girls dress quite good. You'd think taking an interest in one's own appearance would come naturally, but I'd nearly feel a bit odd dressing well in certain circles.

It's hilarious then when you see a fellas with his girlfriend, with her dressed so well with the jeans pulled up high, and then him sauntering along with a pair of fat man pants often practically falling off the waist. Are university students this poor, because I'd assume male students dressed better 20 years ago. Or maybe it's the dumbing down of these new generations.

ponce

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

They write quite good too do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I have wore a hoody and tracksuit bottoms every day of this semester. I've more important things like exams to be worrying about instead of whether or not I'm pleasing strangers with my dress sense :p

I also have a considerable walk in and out of college every day so I wear the most comfortable runners I have regardless of what they look like :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Can't believe the attitude of some of the posters here.

A guy dresses well, makes an effort to not look like a slob only to be subjected to smartass remarks by others.

It doesnt take much effort to look well, anyone who moans about making an effort is just lazy.

Ye'll have a rude awakening when ye get a dose of the real world, then again if your efforts to find work match your appearance you can probably enjoy your tracksuit all day sitting on your hole with no job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

To me it doesn't make one bit of a difference how people dress. If you like to make an effort in what you wear that's good for you and if you like to wear a tracksuit that's good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

A guy dresses well, makes an effort to not look like a slob only to be subjected to smartass remarks by others.

It doesnt take much effort to look well, anyone who moans about making an effort is just lazy.

Ye'll have a rude awakening when ye get a dose of the real world, then again if your efforts to find work match your appearance you can probably enjoy your tracksuit all day sitting on your hole with no job.

I concur. Having "other things to worry about" is just a silly excuse, it only takes a few minutes to dress up decently. Very simple stuff like a reasonably fitting pair of jeans (not low-waisted and for the love of Zeus, not skinny!), a shirt/jumper or even just a t-shirt are already miles ahead of sport jerseys, hoodies, tracksuits and the likes. Even runners could go as long as they aren't destroyed/dirty/stinky.

I am quite a few years past my college days, but even at work some guys every now and then remark about some "stylish" shirts I would be wearing; Shirts that I bought for a tenner in Dunnes. Turns out the difference was that I do "waste" 5 minutes of my life to iron them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

As the accidental authority on this thread, I suppose I'll have to stitch together a few words on the issue.

I wouldn't worry about inconsequential remarks from people, or worry about what they're wearing.

Now I'd better get off boards. With assignments, I have far more important things to worry about. They occupy my mind 24/7. Although sometimes I do think about how I could change society for the better. But I never have an idle thought on my surroundings. :pac:

There is a huge difference between making remarks about the guy's sense of dress (which isn't happening) and the OPs judgemental remarks toward those who don't prioritise clothes in their lives (which is happening).

The truth of the matter is, you don't need to dress well to go to college. It's not the most important thing so why would you when you don't prioritise it? It's nothing to do with laziness, more so prioritising.

Also, pretty sure the vast majority can differentiate between dressing for work and dressing for class :rolleyes:

Jez... the judgement of people of clothes is a bit scary to be honest. I think I'll just go without for now on...

To me it doesn't make one bit of a difference how people dress.
    It's what underneath the clothes that counts so? is that what your getting at!

Just want context and clarity that's all. So, once again, do you have authority on the matter of student style or are you just expressing an opinion?

The whole idea of context is that someone can decide whether or not to take a post seriously based on your authority or lack thereof.
    How seriously you take the post or not should depend only on how good a point I make or not you think I make... for the 2nd time now!

No wonder so many surveys are anonymous with your attitude!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

It's fecking college, get over yourself in your fancy pants. Dress like a hooker for all anyone there cares. The only time to throw the glad rags on is nights out, look good, lob the gob, be grand.

Why would anybody be so judgemental that they care about what other people wear?
    Everybody is judgmental. Don't foll yourself kiddo
    Jeans are horrible things that are very uncomfortable. Men don't have the luxury of jeggings so why on earth would they walk around in something that uncomfortable just to please other people?
    Women do! But no, jeans are not uncomfortable!
    You see it's rarer
    Because I'm embarrassed for ye

Why would anybody be so judgemental that they care about what other people wear?
    Jeans are horrible things that are very uncomfortable. Men don't have the luxury of jeggings so why on earth would they walk around in something that uncomfortable just to please other people?
    Women do! But no, jeans are not uncomfortable, it's just that they may take a sec or two more to put on! Fatman pants are lounge wear. They shouldn't really be worn outside the house.
    I hate the idea of doing anything unnecessary for the sake of pleasing other people. Tell me OP, what about girls that wear running leggings on a daily basis?
    It's rarer you see, but equally as disgraceful.

• Advertisement

ElChe32 wrote: »
    It's fecking college, get over yourself in your fancy pants. Dress like a hooker for all anyone there cares. The only time to throw the glad rags on is nights out, look good, lob the gob, be grand.
    It's a sign your still an adultescent

Women do! But no, jeans are not uncomfortable!
    You see it's rarer

Sad case of affairs when it's about scraps of material though.

Jeans are awfully uncomfortable, and I'm saying that as a woman who doesn't dress to please anyone.

It's actually not that rare.

Thanks for being embarrassed, but there's really no need to cause yourself that kind of stress. It's unhealthy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You would be wrong

Here's the thing

College/University students are scruffy, They are away from Mammy for the first time and this probably their first chance to dress how they like. It's also their last chance because once college/Uni is over it's suits/ties and rat race dress. Don't be so judgmental those scruffs today will probably be your boss tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Yes the fact that they do not hold fashion at the same level of importance as you means they are destined to a tracksuit clad life on the dole.

Now pull up your Chinos and jog on...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

It's a sign your still an adultescent

Are you trying to be glib there or just a whole lot worse with language than you are judging people based on their dress? Genuine curiosity on my behalf...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Meh, if I'm going to be sitting in a lab for upwards of 8 hours straight, I think I'll wear something comfortable as opposed to something that looks good tbh.

lol

Yeah, because I bet everyone who wears a tracksuit to college is incapable of dressing up when necessary. Definitely a correlation there buddy. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Meh, if I'm going to be sitting in a lab for upwards of 8 hours straight, I think I'll wear something comfortable as opposed to something that looks good tbh.
    There was a time when jeans were considered casual! And jeans aren't uncomfortable, it's only if they're the tight ones.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah, because I bet everyone who wears a tracksuit to college is incapable of dressing up when necessary.
    Yeah, and I bet everyone who fails their 30% continuous assessment is capable of putting in the discipline and study when necessary for the finals!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

There was a time when jeans were considered casual! And jeans aren't uncomfortable, it's only if they're the tight ones.

Compared to tracksuit pants they are extremely uncomfortable. :P
    Yeah, and I bet everyone who fails their 30% continuous assessment is capable of putting in the discipline and study when necessary for the finals!

I fail to see the comparison between someone who fails assessment during the term being able to pass the final and someone who wears casual clothing in a casual environment being able to dress in formal clothes in a formal environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

I can just about see where you're coming from, in that I would see someone who was well dressed as a little more mature than I would if they were wearing a scruffy tracksuit, and I very rarely go outside in fat pants or tracksuits myself. But.. It's college.. Firstly, what do you expect? And secondly, why do you care? Are you mad because the girl you like pays more attention to that handsome lad from Kerry who rolls his socks up over the bottom of his tracksuit pants?

You seem awfully worked up about some guy passing comment on your dress. I'd say calling him a twat in your OP is considerably worse than what he said to you, which may not even have been meant maliciously. And as for
    They get away with it too.
    What do you want to happen? Do you want them to be publicly shamed? Locked in the stocks with vegetables pelted at them? Bizarre post really... Oh wait there's more
    Or maybe it's the dumbing down of these new generations.
    I would really like you to further elaborate on this, we should all get a good laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

It's rarer you see, but equally as disgraceful.

Nobody gives a **** what you think, take your head out of your arse.

Advertisement