Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESTI Paramedic training programme

• 18-02-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

As a newbie to the idea of paramedic training I have been looking into different options available to train as an emergency paramedic. I see that it's quite difficult to determine if the hse will offer the programme any time soon and I then found the info on the esti launch of a paramedic training programme.
    Im just wondering does anybody have any opinions or feedback in relation to the course being offerred by them. I have no idea of course fee's but have emailed them for info in relation to them.

Thanks in advance for any advice etc you may have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

amy1plus2 wrote: »
    As a newbie to the idea of paramedic training I have been looking into different options available to train as an emergency paramedic. I see that it's quite difficult to determine if the hse will offer the programme any time soon and I then found the info on the esti launch of a paramedic training programme.
    Im just wondering does anybody have any opinions or feedback in relation to the course being offerred by them. I have no idea of course fee's but have emailed them for info in relation to them.

Thanks in advance for any advice etc you may have.

Apart from the fees,the other thing you would want to check is where you are going to be doing the "hours" on an ambulance to get real world experience.Unless this company has an agreement to place students with DFB or HSE crews as a third person I wouldn't be rushing to do their course.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

email them for a brochure. all the information you'll need is on the pdf. it would appear the classroom work will be done in ireland and the practical and internship will be done in america. its advertised as an international paramedic program and at the end of it all sucessful students will hold an nremt-p qualification in america and can apply to phecc for a paramedic licence like any forigen trained person can.

im in no way involved with the company in question, ive just done quite a bit of research into it to see what my money will get me.
    if i done the course id hope not to return to ireland as you'd be an a.l.s paramedic in america, canada and a few other countries, where as i can only see phecc giving a blue licence at the end of this, not an a.p licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

repsol wrote: »
    Apart from the fees,the other thing you would want to check is where you are going to be doing the "hours" on an ambulance to get real world experience.Unless this company has an agreement to place students with DFB or HSE crews as a third person I wouldn't be rushing to do their course.
    As far as I'm aware the "hours" will be in either USA or the UK depending on the company offering the training and the price tag of nearly 20k won't cover accommodation.
    Also be aware that PHECC will not recognise the paramedic status and there is no guarantee that any of the private ambulance companies or the HSE will take you on.
    Do your homework before you commit a huge amount of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

Wow ok, I thought I wasn't sure if it would be recognised or not, thanks for all the info. I literally have no clue where to start next so...Is it adviseable to complete an emt training coure while waiting for applications to open up for hse paramedic training? Thanks again

Wow ok, I thought I wasn't sure if it would be recognised or not, thanks for all the info. I literally have no clue where to start next so...Is it adviseable to complete an emt training coure while waiting for applications to open up for hse paramedic training? Thanks again

yes, do. the emt course is a pre req for their paramedic i do believe.

(note: not for the hse/dfb, just the private company)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

yes, do. the emt course is a pre req for their paramedic i do believe.

(note: not for the hse/dfb, just the private company)
    Correct...
    My advice?
    Go for the HSE, rather than paying to be trained they will pay you a wage during training!
    As for the DFB, I heard that the next intake and all others after that will not be trained as a paramedic...tho that is only a rumour so again, do your homework and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

Look around before you buy into spending €20k for a US Paramedic. There are other options here in Ireland that teach the US Paramedic qualifications for less than half of that price. Look to Galway and the lads down in Wexford.

Getting the US NREMT Paramedic qualification will get you work outside of Ireland. When you have a few years of experience you can come back to Ireland and gain PHECC reciprocity using your US Paramedic and experience. There are quite a few US trained paramedics in PHECC.

BoonDoc wrote: »
    Look around before you buy into spending €20k for a US Paramedic. There are other options here in Ireland that teach the US Paramedic qualifications for less than half of that price. Look to Galway and the lads down in Wexford.

Getting the US NREMT Paramedic qualification will get you work outside of Ireland. When you have a few years of experience you can come back to Ireland and gain PHECC reciprocity using your US Paramedic and experience. There are quite a few US trained paramedics in PHECC.

if working in the remote/ offshore industry you'd make your money back in no time. its good to see a non ambulance service option for paramedic training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 captmal

just in case anyone reading this is considering doing the international paramedic course let me just say by all means do the course its a good course im having a good time doing it but for god sake avoid doing it through ESTI contact medic training international directly and go through them it cost less for the same thing. ESTI are charging a lot extra just to provide an instructor 2 nights a week and even then i learned more by myself and talking to current HSE/DFB paramedics and ap's then i did talking to him. to avoid going through ESTI contact MTI and tell him your irish but not in the country and wont be for most of the course. from what ive heard there will be a few people from the first course still around the college in america when the second course gets there hopefully there will always be at least one previous student around when the next class gets there just to help out but if not there should be someone you can talk to

I don't know why anyone would do the NREMT with MTI or ESTI. They both charge over twice the price.

Go directly with PERCOM. They only charge $6000 for the full programme. You only have to go to Texas for seven weeks so there are no visa or immigration issues.

Also, PERCOM consistently has the highest pass rate for the NREMT exams for any online paramedic programme. Jane Dinsmore was the first paramedic instructor to create online training in 1998. Everyone else is still playing catch up. MTI has been around for a number of months. Who would you like to trust someone who is more expensive and also the new kid on the block?

Why pay €20k when you can do a better course for only $6k (€4k)? Sure you have to buy your own flights (€600), hire a rental car (€400), and find your own extended stay hotel (€800). Is all of that worth €20k?

You have online tutors and virtual classrooms where you can talk with your instructors in the US.

Also, PERCOM is working on getting a UK Foundation Degree for graduates of their paramedic course.

I looked around at all of the options and I chose to start the PERCOM course. It is better, cheaper and less hassle.

Take a look at http://percomonline.com/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Paddymedic

Hey, I moved to the UK to do my course. It was university lead with a degree at the end of it. I have UK HCPC registration and PHECC have just registered me as an advanced paramedic.

There are many ways to do it here, i.e. university or in-house training through an ambulance service. Look around as some universities will charge £9000 a year for tutition fees and some will give you a bursary.

I recomend the university of Greenwich, Medway or St. Georges but there are many universities that supply the course,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Territory

I greet you all,

I have been doing research on this ESTI International Paramedic Course, too. Very expensive, but they say once you are finished with the course they do placement. Meaning you will immediately put this into practice. Is this information true, or it is one of the ways to lure people to these exorbitant costs and once finished with the course they forget about you?

Once these Paramedics complete their course are they productive in their field? Do employers seek them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Territory wrote: »
    I greet you all,

I have been doing research on this ESTI International Paramedic Course, too. Very expensive, but they say once you are finished with the course they do placement. Meaning you will immediately put this into practice. Is this information true, or it is one of the ways to lure people to these exorbitant costs and once finished with the course they forget about you?

Once these Paramedics complete their course are they productive in their field? Do employers seek them?

Thanks

You will do work placement as part of the course and you will sit exams both written and practical so if by productive u mean compatant then yes they are

now as for this course both the placements and exams take place in the United States and you will be qualified over there

So there lies the problem and the main reason (apart from the price and trying to fund yourself over there) I did not go for this. You have no gaurentee of coming back to Ireland and registering with PHECC as a paramedic in fact I have been told by somebody that these people are being turned down by PHECC as they don't meet the standards I don't know what they fall down on

From what you say you want a job as a paramedic so from what iv heard unless you want to work in the US or other countries that accept this qualification then you may be out of luck with this now il stress what I'm saying is what iv been told or have decided for myself when I looked into it the main thing I had a problem with is the fact that you may not get PHECC registered after all that cost

PHECC has moved to the four year degree paramedic. These short courses will not meet that requirement for PHECC registration. Don't do this course if you are looking for work in Ireland.

If you want US registration for work elsewhere then get cheaper options in the US. There are paramedic programmes for USD3500 in the US that include all course work and placements.

If you want to minimise your US time then go to Merit Training who have an online US Paramedic that allows you to train and test in Malta then only have to go to the US for seven weeks of clinical placements. They are half the price of ESTI.

Bottom line is this: PaddyMedic made the right choice. Get your university backed paramedic training. As a HCPC Paramedic you have a good chance to get AP here in Ireland.

Spending 20k for the ESTI programme is not your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

PHECC has moved to the four year degree paramedic. These short courses will not meet that requirement for PHECC registration. Don't do this course if you are looking for work in Ireland.

Have PHECC exclusively moved to this format now and are no longer accepting "qualifications gained outside Ireland"?

I do plan on doing a course outside Ireland in the new year, the main aim isn't to get a PHECC paramedic license, but after a couple of years away I would like to come home and be eligible for a paramedic license atleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Have PHECC exclusively moved to this format now and are no longer accepting "qualifications gained outside Ireland"?

I do plan on doing a course outside Ireland in the new year, the main aim isn't to get a PHECC paramedic license, but after a couple of years away I would like to come home and be eligible for a paramedic license atleast.

PHECC will assess each application on its merits but you will have to meet the same criteria a person qualified in Ireland has to meet regarding course content clinical placements both hospital and ambulance and experience so it will depend on the course you plan to do

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

If you want US registration for work elsewhere then get cheaper options in the US. There are paramedic programmes for USD3500 in the US that include all course work and placements.

If you want to minimise your US time then go to Merit Training who have an online US Paramedic that allows you to train and test in Malta then only have to go to the US for seven weeks of clinical placements. They are half the price of ESTI.

Bottom line is this: PaddyMedic made the right choice. Get your university backed paramedic training. As a HCPC Paramedic you have a good chance to get AP here in Ireland.

Spending 20k for the ESTI programme is not your best option.

I was quite interested in the course Merit training offered so I emailed them for further info, twice I emailed them infact and got nothing back! Didn't give me much confidence in them!

Medic475 wrote: »
    I was quite interested in the course Merit training offered so I emailed them for further info, twice I emailed them infact and got nothing back! Didn't give me much confidence in them!

strange. Never heard of that problem.

Try info@merit-training.com

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

strange. Never heard of that problem.

Try info@merit-training.com

I did. Twice!! Too late now, found another company who got back to me within an hour with their info!

Sorry to hear that, mate. I went through the paramedic course and had no issues with any emails not being answered. In fact all of the rest of the class also had nothing but good things to say.

Don't take my word for it. Take a look at the reviews.
    http://thesecurityadvisor.co.uk/course.php?id=208

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Just a question. How many people who have completed this course have managed to secure full time employment from it. Whether it be in Ireland, the US or the other countries that recongise it? I have not completed the EMT course but i will consider doing it if i can put a plan in place that will get me working.

Advertisement