Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Binocluar Visiion

• 23-11-2014 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some advice on this.

I have monocular vision, my eyes switch between whichever one is least tired. Is there any way to train your eyes back to binocular vision?

I've arranged to see an Ophthalmologist but wanted to sound things out here first.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I couldn't see where else to post my inquiry.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some advice on this.

I have monocular vision, my eyes switch between whichever one is least tired. Is there any way to train your eyes back to binocular vision?

I've arranged to see an Ophthalmologist but wanted to sound things out here first.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I couldn't see where else to post my inquiry.

It really depends on why you are monocular. Do you have a lazy eye or a turn? Is there a difference in prescription between your eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Daisies wrote: »
    It really depends on why you are monocular. Do you have a lazy eye or a turn? Is there a difference in prescription between your eyes?

Yes there is a difference between the prescription for each eye. The best way I can describe it is that my brain turns off one of my eyes and at others times it chooses to use it. When I got my glasses the optician said to make sure to use both my eyes as best as possible or my brain will just turn off the bad one for good. I was at another optician in the past who told me nothing can be done about it. I'm just wondering have things changed medically so that maybe something could be done about it now.

Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Yes there is a difference between the prescription for each eye. The best way I can describe it is that my brain turns off one of my eyes and at others times it chooses to use it. When I got my glasses the optician said to make sure to use both my eyes as best as possible or my brain will just turn off the bad one for good. I was at another optician in the past who told me nothing can be done about it. I'm just wondering have things changed medically so that maybe something could be done about it now.

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you have amblyopia. Unfortunately there is not a huge amount that can be done for it as it is down to a lack of development between the weaker eye and the brain. Obviously without testing you, it is hard to say for certain

Advertisement