Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice for partner of an recovering alcoholic...

Options
  • 26-11-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Just wondering what advice you guys would have to give me if you dont mind.

My partner is a year and half sober but last few days, especially today, is really angry and tired. Im not sure what I need to do to help, he doesnt seem to want to talk so ive given him space.

We have been friends for years and only got together 6 weeks ago but he always been open about how he is feeling. We dont live together so dont see each other all the time. Today is is shutting me out and not wanting to talk about anything.

How does one deal with anger in recovery? I am hoping he doesnt drink today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Abcxyz12345

Just wondering what advice you guys would have to give me if you dont mind.

My partner is a year and half sober but last few days, especially today, is really angry and tired. Im not sure what I need to do to help, he doesnt seem to want to talk so ive given him space.

We have been friends for years and only got together 6 weeks ago but he always been open about how he is feeling. We dont live together so dont see each other all the time. Today is is shutting me out and not wanting to talk about anything.

How does one deal with anger in recovery? I am hoping he doesnt drink today

Hi Caitrionaanne, have you heard of Al-Anon? I went to some meetings before - my dad is an alcoholic. The focus is on supporting the person living with/who knows the alcoholic. It may be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

http://bottled-up.memberlodge.com/AlcoholismInformation

You could also try that above website.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sensay

He may be feeling guilty at the moment for all different types of reasons ,if he has children or other family issues past or present. ,he may be looking at friends going out and feels he is missing something .he may not be ready for a relationship ,he should be at least two years in recovery before starting a relationship .he may not know who he is at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Don't be too quick to label it a problem of a recovering alcoholic. Just because a person used to drink too much once upon a time does not mean every problem they have now can be traced back to addiction/alcohol...

Maybe he is angry and tired because work stress is getting to him. Maybe it is because he does not have enough work and Christmas is coming. Maybe he has back pain and can't sleep at night... it could be any number of reasons.

I would say first port of call is to talk to him then decide what to do next.

Advertisement