Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Brisbane should be the best tournament from week 1, excellent lineup with Serena, Vika, and the return of Sharapova all to look forward to. Qualies are already in progress, with Victoria Duval, Ashleigh Barty and Heather Watson all winning their first round matches. Sabine will be here too, will be interesting to see if she can become relevant outside of Wimbledon.

Laura Robson was supposed to be playing Auckland but has already withdrawn with a wrist injury. Hopefully this is just precautionary for the Australian Open. We'll see the return of Jamie Hapton this week after a long injury layoff. Radwanska was the defending champion but is taking part in the Hopman cup instead. Mona Barthel is here also and is defending semi-finalist points. For the last two years she's started the season brightly before fading away.. hopefully she's been working during the off season, as the brainless ball-bashing game she employs isn't really working.

Li Na is the top seed and defending champion at Shenzhen, I imagine she wont have won't have too much trouble defending that title. Bojana Jovanovski is the #4 seed, I hope she can make a run here, I really like her game. Errani is here also, so her beautiful tennis will be a real treat for the Chinese crowd.... :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Federer is the top seed at Brisbane, and his highest ranked competiton are Nishikori, Simon, Kevin Anderson and Dimitrov. Winning the title here would be a great confidence booster for Fed, but on recent form it's difficult to see what way it'll go for him.

Wawrinka is playing in Chennai, and is the only big name to do so. If he carries his form from last season this title should be his.

Nadal, Ferrer, Murray and Berdych all playing Doha. With Murray questionable it's difficult to see past Nadal taking the title with ease. Although he has just lost to Ferrer in Abu Dhabi so you never know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Stefan Edberg will be working with Federer for at least 10 weeks, starting at the Aussie. Not sure of the exact time frame though. Severin Luthi is still on board.

Excited to see this combo. Stef has been a hero of Fed's since childhood.

Also, he'll be playing with a larger racquet next season, which is interesting. Wasn't it a larger racquet that he tried switching to this summer but abandoned after his terrible results?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Did Andy Murray start this 80's trend? Him and Lendl, Sharapova and Connors (short lived as it was), Djokovic and Becker, now Federer and Edberg.

• Advertisement

Brisbane draw us out :) Sharapova drawn in the top half... with Serena. Welcome back Maria! The good news is her draw is nice and easy, until of course she meets Serena in the semi's. That's if Sharapova gets there of course, all depends on how rusty she is.

No real first round matches of note, although Wozniacki could face an early exit in the form of Cibulkova. Lisicki - Keys is a potential second rounder, with the winner to face Azarenka. Heather Watson is also just one match away from qualifying. Now if only Eurosport were actually showing these matches :(

Shenzhen R1: Li Na Vs Vera Zvonareva

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Good to see Zvonareva back. She's been gone so long I was nearly forgetting about her.

Stosur lost to Bouchard in 3 sets in Hopman. Not a good start to the season for Sam.

Doha R1: Nadal Vs Rosol

Easy win for Sharapova on her return

• Advertisement

Hajek def. Alharrasi 6-0 6-0
    Kavcic def. Al Mohamud 6-0 6-0
    Gojowczyk def. Al-Jufairi 6-0 6-0
    Murray def. Zayed 6-0 6-0
    Cecchinato def. Al Zeyara 6-0 6-1

Not been a good few days for Qatari tennis :pac:

Rory and Caroline are engaged :) So once again all the stories in the papers about them splitting up a while back were a load of rubbish.

http://t.co/gxO7rDDyPY

Of course he's only doing it for the Danish green card so he doesn't have to choose between Ireland and GB for the Olympics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was surprised to see that Andy Murray didn't get his expected Knighthood.

Sam Stosur now 0-3 in Australia *sigh*

Some excellent lineup's for the first week of the new season. Serena-Sharapova and Jankovic-Azarenka. Poor Sharapova, having to suffer another Serena beatdown in the very first week of the season. Given how rusty Sharapova is and how well Serena is playing, I genuinely believe Serena could double-bagel her if she really wants to. Whichever one Serena plays in the final, Jankovic or Azarenka, both would make for a good match. Jankovic in particular, given her comments about Serena after they last played in Istanbul.

Auckland has an excellent semi-final lineup also, the returning Jamie Hampton to play Venus, and Flipkens-Ivanovic. Ivanovic probably should win this, but she will of course find a way to mess it up. Really hope Hampton can win it, she's got a great game and to win her debut title in the first week of the new year, particularly after returning from injury, would be pretty fantastic.

Nadal not playing his best in Doha, but doing enough to get through. It's amazing how much of tennis is psychological. Rosol played so well in the second set, worked so hard for a break and was then immediately broken as he tried to serve it out. More or less the same thing happened with Kamke yesterday, played really well but broken at a crucial moment, 3-4 in the 3rd. Nadal faces Gulbis today, the only one left who can challenge him. Gulbis has the game, but isn't exactly famous for his mental strength, so I'd say that'll go Rafa's way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

With the rumored court speed for the AO being faster than it has been for years, I would not be surprised if we see Monfils progresses deep into the draw.

He is playing insanely well atm. Maybe it's just against weaker opponents, but nevertheless, it's so refreshing to see such attacking play, and his court movement is astonishing, he must cover nearly 2 metres or more in some of his final lunges. Stupidly good serving too, in the 80's, unreal. Hope he beats Nadal to confirm he is playing well and tbh I'd be surprised if he doesn't beat him.

Yay for Ana, winning her first proper title in since the end of 2010 :) Massive choke in the 2nd set, was convinced she was going to do the same in the 3rd. Hope this gives her a confidence boost, she's still got a lot to give to the game.

Serena beats Vika, and Li wins Shenzhen, no surprises here. What a massive boost for Serena to get, beating both Sharapova and Vika in the very first week of the season.

Janko Tipsarevic pulls out of Australian Open... he won't be missed :)

Also, just saw this on Twitter:
    By playing Hopman and not defending her Brisbane pts, Sloane will be No13 seed in Melbourne, which gives her a much tougher draw than No12.
    This is news to me, I didn't realise there was any difference between #12 and #13?

Janko Tipsarevic pulls out of Australian Open... he won't be missed :)

Just saw this on Twitter:

This is news to me, I didn't realise there was any difference between #12 and #13?

Well it goes in groups of 4, doesn't it? Like the top 4 are put in a different quarter each, and then they can't meet until the SF. So being 12th you'd be maybe looking at R4 before you meet another seed, 13th makes it more likely you'll meet one earlier. Granted it's not that huge a difference in that range.

Well it goes in groups of 4, doesn't it? Like the top 4 are put in a different quarter each, and then they can't meet until the SF. So being 12th you'd be maybe looking at R4 before you meet another seed, 13th makes it more likely you'll meet one earlier. Granted it's not that huge a difference in that range.

I was convinced it just went 32, 16, 8, as in if the top 16 all reached the 4th round, the #1 seed could meet anyone from #9-16.

So if all seeds reach the 4th round, #1-4 play #13-16, is that correct?

I was convinced it just went 32, 16, 8, as in if the top 16 all reached the 4th round, the #1 seed could meet anyone from #9-16.

I'm confused now, I'm not at all sure, other than top 4 being in different quarters. Maybe everyone else is just thrown in randomly then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Monfils will be sick when he sees later that was indeed out.

Losing of the game right there.

I don't think that rule is very fair. Monfils clearly stopped to see if there was an overrule going to happen. Sure he should have stopped totally but at the end of the day, it was out and he's lost because of it.

^ Ah crap, forgot Eurosport were showing that match. Nadal winning Doha was never in doubt, I guess. It's encouraging that he dropped sets to Gojowczyk, Monfils and Kamke, as well as being pushed by Rosol in the second set. This might give the field a bit more confidence when playing Nadal, and with Melbourne rumoured to be playing faster this year, you never know, there might be someone who can hit through him.

Would do anything to see neither Nadal nor Djokovic win Melbourne!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I hope Murray is in better form for the AO. I really like Nadal (unlike a lot of people here :P ) but I couldn't bare to watch another final with either Nadal or Djokovic in it. I know that is the most likely scenario by a clear mile but I still have my fingers crossed.

I would love Wawrinka or Delpo or Tsonga to surprise everyone and win it! Or of course Murray or Federer I wouldn't mind either, preferably Murray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gpat14

This is correct

E.g. last 16 seeds 1-4 vs 13-16, seeds 5-8 vs 9-12

gpat14 wrote: »
    This is correct

So there is a difference between being seeded 12th or 13th, but really outside the top 3 they're all pretty evenly matched so it won't/shouldn't make much difference in the end.

Just realised Sloane Stephens is defending a lot of points in Melbourne.

gpat14 wrote: »
    This is correct

Thanks. I really should have known that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gpat14

So there is a difference between being seeded 12th or 13th, but really outside the top 3 they're all pretty evenly matched so it won't/shouldn't make much difference in the end.

Just realised Sloane Stephens is defending a lot of points in Melbourne.

Yeah there is, seeded 13 rather than 12 means you'd get top 4 player rather than 5-8 which could be disadvantageous. Not much difference to big 3 as you say

Like the tennis system myself, having 1v8, 2v7 etc every tournament means a sh1tload of repetition really as rankings don't always change that much week to week, and takes excitement off draw, also tennis has different surfaces so it's all round fairer I think

Hewitt beat Federer in 3 sets to win in Brisbane! Not his number one fan but I am so so pleased he won it! After all his injuries he just keeps on battling and to win at the age of 32 in front of your home crowd must feel absolutely incredible :)

On the other hand, this does not bode well for Federer... Hewitt played extremely well but Federer just did not seem to have any of the necessary passion or drive. In my opinion we will see a repeat of 2013 or worse for Federer.

Jesus, no idea what happened there! If a mod could be so kind as to delete all of those posts please!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

WaterLily. wrote: »

On the other hand, this does not bode well for Federer... Hewitt played extremely well but Federer just did not seem to have any of the necessary passion or drive. In my opinion we will see a repeat of 2013 or worse for Federer.

Its early in the season but Federer was rubbish today .
    Second time in 16 matches and 10 years that Hewitt beat him ,says it all really,he is losing matches now to guys that he used to routinely dispatch with ease.
    I thought Federer looked a bit out of condition too,he doesnt look anyway toned .

Advertisement