Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donedeal

• 23-10-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bimble

Just wondered if anyone knew of the reason why there are so many ads on Donedeal have wrong numbers. A lot of ads have comments saying" wrong number below" and another number to call in the ad. Also the amount of numbers I do ring and there dead or straight to voice mail. These are people that went to the bother of placing an ad, it looks suspect to me any idea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved from Consumer Isues

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bimble

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Moved from Consumer Isues

apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

My opinion on this is that the ''wrong number below '' is the members registered telephone number .

This is not necessarily the mobile number of the person selling item.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's usually because the cost of the Ad is taken from their 'real' mobile credit.
    The seller then uses a disposable sim card number to take calls about the item.
    Then, if (when) you have an isssue with the item you will probably only have the disposable number left on your called numbers log.......

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It's usually because the cost of the Ad is taken from their 'real' mobile credit.
    The seller then uses a disposable sim card number to take calls about the item.
    Then, if (when) you have an isssue with the item you will probably only have the disposable number left on your called numbers log.......

Better off to avoided then, if they have to go the that trouble. They must not have any confidence in what there selling or it's dodgy, as they must buy a sim first, then the ad.

Premeditated!

• Advertisement

I could never understand its popularity...I mean there's no feedback or seller rating system.

What's annoying with Adverts.ie is, you cannot select a province ie, Munster, Leinster and so on. Not really a problem if your in Dublin or surrounding counties, as population is bigger more concentration of sellers and buyers

But like you said you can build a reputation an Adverts, and a better system

TBH what's really annoying about Adverts is the amount of idiots offering 'swap my Ads' despite the advertiser putting 'NO SWAPS' in plain view on the Ad.:D

Or the ads that are sold but the seller won't mark them as such in order to escape the fees.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Actually no, the most annoying thing about adverts are the lowball offers that then become the bar, the sheer number of things i've been unable to sell on adverts due to this major flaw is boggling (later sold on ebay hassle free)

• Advertisement

Set a minimum offer when creating the ad. Stops that nonsense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Set a minimum offer when creating the ad. Stops that nonsense.

All that does is prevent people from submitting "official" lowball offers, they can and do still lowball via the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Actually no, the most annoying thing about adverts are the lowball offers that then become the bar, the sheer number of things i've been unable to sell on adverts due to this major flaw is boggling (later sold on ebay hassle free)

I know what you're saying but its actually the reason I like Adverts so much is that its a forum for buyers and sellers to meet common ground. I've often seen an item listed for say €90 but to me its only worth €60 so I won't even bother bidding. Then someone comes in with a €40 opening offer and the seller states he wants a bit more, I'll come in with the €60 it is worth to me and often wrap up the deal. If the same item was up on Donedeal I wouldn't even bother ringing the number if I felt the asking price was off kilter but on Adverts you can find that happy medium. If the seller doesnt want to sell at a price they can just set a minimum offer, works well for everyone IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I know what you're saying but its actually the reason I like Adverts so much is that its a forum for buyers and sellers to meet common ground. I've often seen an item listed for say €90 but to me its only worth €60 so I won't even bother bidding. Then someone comes in with a €40 opening offer and the seller states he wants a bit more, I'll come in with the €60 it is worth to me and often wrap up the deal. If the same item was up on Donedeal I wouldn't even bother ringing the number if I felt the asking price was off kilter but on Adverts you can find that happy medium. If the seller doesnt want to sell at a price they can just set a minimum offer, works well for everyone IMO.

Im sure most buyers would be willing to meet common ground. But I think what he means by lowball offers are just ridiculous ones, that are not anywhere close to being relative of the items value. If it was for €90, you could easily bid €60 and see what they say. Its the €20 bids for something like that, that takes the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

bimble wrote: »
    What's annoying with Adverts.ie is, you cannot select a province ie, Munster, Leinster and so on. Not really a problem if your in Dublin or surrounding counties, as population is bigger more concentration of sellers and buyers

Its still a problem being in Dublin, I may want to seacrh all surrounding counties for certain items, but I might not want to go to Laois or somewhere else.
    Or I may not want to go North of Dublin, but would be willing to go west and south as its easier for me, unless the specific item Im looking for turns up somewhere outside the range which Im willing to travel.

But noy being able to select a number of counties is a pain in the teets

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Corholio wrote: »
    Im sure most buyers would be willing to meet common ground. But I think what he means by lowball offers are just ridiculous ones, that are not anywhere close to being relative of the items value. If it was for €90, you could easily bid €60 and see what they say. Its the €20 bids for something like that, that takes the piss.

Ah yeah I know what you mean, I had an item up there for €1400, would have taken €1100 minimum but one cheeky lad offers €500. There's loads of that on Adverts and as a seller it can be annpying. But instead I just replied to the cheeky offer outlining the reasons why it was well wide of the mark, I knew well the €500 offer guy wasnt serious whatsoever but I used his offer to respond and give genuine reasons why he was well wide of the mark. In essence I wasn't actually replying to him directly, I was responding to the market and selling it to them. It worked well as my comments generated more discussion and I sold the item at €1200 a week after the initial cheeky €500 offer.

You dont get any of the above on Donedeal. What I tend to see on that site is sellers with often unrealistic prices. Because their opening price is so high I wont even bother ringing them. Whereas with Adverts someone can put in an offer and at least dip their toe in the water to what price the seller is actually willing to sell at. That's why I much prefer it as I've often seen stuff listed for say €90 but the seller actually accepts €50. If it was on Donedeal it would likely remain unsold but on Adverts the seller will at least get an offer and if its not enough they can assess demand by the amount of views the ad has had and then decide weather to drop the price or not.

Adverts isn't perfect and there are tons of kids on there going 'swap?' all day long. But that aside its the best Irish buying and selling site out there IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

bimble wrote: »

You have a great feature that uses a radius on Adverts. Thats better than going by province i thought.

Although both would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The swap offers are incredibly annoying. Tons of kids plaguing ads. Some of the offers I've gotten the last few weeks:

For a proper i5 gaming PC: Swap my ads (laptop missing keys, bicycle with no breaks. Told him no, but he persisted that I could sell for a profit just 'he didn't have the time to sell' - ads have been up months)

For a high-end 2013 gaming laptop: direct swap for my laptop (2009 laptop worth about 300) What was the logic there?!

i3 gaming PC: swap my xbox 360 and 2 games (worth about 100 euro)

My favorite so far. i5 Gaming PC: Swap my ads (ads an assortment of used clothing, DVDs and kids toys)

I always put 'No Swaps' in the Ad text. Anybody offering a swap is ignored.

Ah so it's kids that are behind all that "swap" crap? Makes sense I suppose. I've had some interesting "experiences" on adverts.ie selling stuff. There are some real idiots out there.

I wonder would a "no morons" notice at the end of the advert help at all? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

You have a great feature that uses a radius on Adverts. Thats better than going by province i thought.

Although both would be great.

Never saw this, it isnt obvious, I looked and I still cant see it?

I think it's only on the mobile app. It uses your location as determined by the phone's GPS.
    Don't take this as gospel, it's just what I seem to remember.

All that does is prevent people from submitting "official" lowball offers, they can and do still lowball via the comments.

I've been encountering this a lot recently. I nearly always put a non-negotiable, no offers below a certain amount, limitation.

People bid the correct amount then put a real, lower, bid under it. Few things in life manage to get under my skin more. It's so so hard not to be abusive....why do people do this? I can understand the haggling on regular ads but I've specifically put a non-negotiable price. Jesus it's annoying....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I am interested in a van on donedeal but i can not get to see the phone number .In fact all the ads i click on to see the phone number it says please contact support ,do others have this problem ,tonight is the first time i have come across this.

Sorry if this an old tread as i did not want to open another

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

cute geoge wrote: »
    I am interested in a van on donedeal but i can not get to see the phone number .In fact all the ads i click on to see the phone number it says please contact support ,do others have this problem ,tonight is the first time i have come across this.

Sorry if this an old tread as i did not want to open another

Works for me on Firefox, maybe try another browser, clear cache, also try with your phone/tablet.

Advertisement