Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Clamp Issue

Options
  • 17-10-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Yesterday on the 16th Oct my car got clamped. Right that's fine, it's my own fault.

I bought a prepaid voucher from a shop, and noted that it was tattered and worn, as he had pulled it from a drawer behind the counter.

From myself working in a shop, I know if it's printed incorrectly it is just kept behind the counter until someone asks for it so I didn't think about it.

Today I went to use it at 11:30 (the 24 hours period wasn't until midday). I spend the day waiting for my confirmation text to tell me the clamp was taken off, but didn't receive it. I rang the company and they told me it was already used.

I went back to the shop, and they can't do anything unless the owner, or manager is there. I'm not around till Monday though as I have to attend a compulsary college trip.

My car is at the risk of being towed away, I can't afford to pay 80 euro in the meantime for a new voucher, I also won't be back until Monday.

Can someone advise on where I stand in all this? I'm extremely stressed, normally I'm the person behind the counter, and not the consumer that has the issue. Also, what if my car get's towed and impounded, even though it wasn't my fault, should the shop have to pay it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Tell them they will be liable for the towing fee and any costs incurred by you - they should get the manager on the phone pretty fast then.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

Tell them they will be liable for the towing fee and any costs incurred by you - they should get the manager on the phone pretty fast then.

I did surprisingly. I'm only 21 but kinda have my head screwed on. I explained the situation to the guy at the time, he wasn't the manager but kinda the guy in charge at the time but told me he couldn't issue a refund, or print me a new voucher.

I explained that I would be holding the shop responsible for any fees incurred and that my car can be towed away at any minute as it was now passed the 24hr mark.

I also explained I was away all weekend, to which they didn't even care.

So now, I'm 80 euro down, I'm extremely hungover (my fault but anyway) and my car is not where it was on Friday.

If anyone can chip in anything else of any relevance I would appreciate this greatly, or even a well known body that can offer advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why are you hungover? Should'nt you be saving up for the forthcoming costs?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What is this prepaid voucher thing? Is it specific to the clampers or a general use item like a 3V card?

Why are you hungover? Should'nt you be saving up for the forthcoming costs?:confused:

Incase you must know, i had budgeted this weekend.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    What is this prepaid voucher thing? Is it specific to the clampers or a general use item like a 3V card?

Specific to these clampers, as in there are two companies and they have specific prepaid vouchers, basically like a top up - just the one given to me was used at an earlier date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

apkmbarry wrote: »
    Specific to these clampers, as in there are two companies and they have specific prepaid vouchers, basically like a top up - just the one given to me was used at an earlier date.

Was that the person in the shop trying to get a way with picking up used vouchers off the street and reselling them or why was it showing as being used before? Was it not in some sealed envelope or like a scratch card? If not why would you have not questioned when the shop person "pulled it from under the counter"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

You should have saved your 80 euro on this ticket thing and bought yourself a cordless angle grinder and cut the chain and/or lock (depends on which model of clamp it is). Buy an identical chain and/or lock to the one that you cut, then send a registered letter to the clamping company that you have somehow got property of theirs.

This is only if it was a private clamping company and not a Council clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dia1988 - Please do not advocate such behaviour in this forum.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

dudara wrote: »
    Dia1988 - Please do not advocate such behaviour in this forum.

dudara

Quite right; telling a guy to go out and buy a 200 euro power tool to save 80 euro on a clamping fee is possibly the worst advice ever dished out.

And then send a registered letter with your name and address confessing to it? Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Well first off, the tool needed wouldn't cost €200 or anything near it. If fact it's much cheaper than the fine. It could even be rented for cheaper again. However criminal damage should be avoided at all costs.

More importantly, OP if it's on private land and this company was contracted to clamp the private car park, then your car won't be getting towed anywhere. If you leave the car for about 5 days with no contact with the company, they will most likely remove it anyway as they think they won't be paid and no point wasting a clamp for a week when it could be getting revenue elsewhere. Of course, it only works if you don't need the car for the few days but it does work. First hand experience with it.

If you can remove a clamp without damaging it, it is possible, then you're free to go so long as you return the clamp and haven't damaged it. Civil matter then and not a criminal one. Provided the company is contracted for another private company and not a local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@Yawns - there has already been a moderator instruction to not advocate DIY clamp removal in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Maybe none of your business??

slimjimmc wrote: »
    @Yawns - there has already been a moderator instruction to not advocate DIY clamp removal in this forum.

Sorry, I thought the instruction was to not advocate criminal damage. Clamp removal is a gray area afaik just like clamping is. In my post I thought it was quite clear I was not advocating damage or theft or removal of a local authority clamp. Apologies if I wasn't clear enough.

If it's now illegal to remove a clamp without damage or stealing it, I'd love to see it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I just want to know where I can buy a cordless angle grinder that is "much cheaper" than 80 quid...

If there is one more mention of angle grinders or non-standard clamp removal, then I will ban without further warning. There have already been two moderator warnings on this topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yawns wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought the instruction was to not advocate criminal damage. Clamp removal is a gray area afaik just like clamping is. In my post I thought it was quite clear I was not advocating damage or theft or removal of a local authority clamp. Apologies if I wasn't clear enough.

If it's now illegal to remove a clamp without damage or stealing it, I'd love to see it tbh

How about obeying the rules of whoevers land it is your using? Its common courtesy.

Ive managed to never be clamped using this trick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

How about obeying the rules of whoevers land it is your using? Its common courtesy.

Well said. Always remember "Let him without sin, cast the first stone.:D:D

My own parking spot it was and I had just moved in. Talked to the clamper and he said I could have til the end of the week to get it sorted which was 5 days. 5am next morning he clamped me.

How about having facts or trying to find the specifics of a situation before making assumptions?

Anyway I don't think we're allowed to discuss it in this thread. It's a grey area to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yawns wrote: »
    My own parking spot it was and I had just moved in. Talked to the clamper and he said I could have til the end of the week to get it sorted which was 5 days. 5am next morning he clamped me.

How about having facts or trying to find the specifics of a situation before making assumptions?

Anyway I don't think we're allowed to discuss it in this thread. It's a grey area to say the least.

I don't see any story about you or your clamping history. I was talking generally.

• Advertisement

Yet you quoted my post and made your comment underneath it. So I'm sure you can see why I suspected you were making a direct assumption about me.

Posters - enough of the off-topic bickering. Stick to the original topic please.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Why would they be liable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

They sold a ticket already used ????????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Because they are directly responsible for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

There are a few aspects of this matter that are confusing me; the voucher that was bought in the store had a 24 hour expiry on it, in your instance, you used it very close to the expiry time of noon; why did you leave your car clamped for almost a full day after buying a release token.

If the voucher was used and it found its way back into a shop that had originally sold it, then that voucher could not be used if the codes had been provided to the clamping company as proof of payment of the fine; in that instance, the clamping company would also know the registration number of the car that had been clamped which Gardai would be entitled to be given if the assertion that the voucher having been previously used was "resold" in the shop.
    Finally, it is easy to form a completely incorrect opinion of things based upon the statements coming from one party.It is not impossible that Op gave the wrong code to the clappers, one which had been previously used. It's also possible that the champers misheard or misread the codes. This matter, if it was as simple as Op set out was a fraudulent activity and the Guards should have been involved, it wasn't a civil matter, it was a criminal matter as there could be no innocent explanation for a previously used and encased voucher to be available for resale

Advertisement