Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind turning every day commuting??

• 23-06-2014 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Anyone else battling head winds into work in and home? Im travelling North West direction and it seems I have a head wind going in and it turns in evening, I have had 1 tail wind in about a month, last Fri I was bet from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

BMKN wrote: »
    Anyone else battling head winds into work in and home? Im travelling North West direction and it seems I have a head wind going in and it turns in evening, I have had 1 tail wind in about a month, last Fri I was bet from it.

not sure if you are near the coast in Dublin but the winds for the last while have been from a general northerly direction however with the warm weather a fairly stiff sea breeze generally south east or east can develop in the afternoons/evenings. I travel south to north in the morning against the breeze and then even though Met Eireann may show the wind as north west I find myself battling a sea breeze often up to force 4 or 5 along the Sandymount/Merrion/Rock roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BMKN

I travel from Killiney direction in to city centre, I had a hilly route planned for Fri around Enniskerry couldnt do it as I was burned out from the week. I use Accuweather its ok, I think the N11 is the best bet as Fri was not so bad as its sheltered from coast. Glad Im not going mad then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It has been mostly the opposite for me. It seems like ages since I've had a headwind!!

It has been mostly the opposite for me. It seems like ages since I've had a headwind!!

I envy the people going the opposite direction, I was so desperate for a tail wind I did a loop route before work so I could have one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

About time so far as I am concerned - been working the other way for getting on for 5 years!!

Having said that the wind speed is very low at present, so doesn't bother me whichever way I'm heading. I'm going faster than it so it always feels like a headwind anyway ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

BMKN wrote: »
    I envy the people going the opposite direction, I was so desperate for a tail wind I did a loop route before work so I could have one.

"All my training was really difficult, so I went further to make it easier." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

It is due to the fact that an Azores blocking high pressure area is sitting quite close to us for the last few weeks - winds become variable, moving in a clockwise direction around high pressure areas, which account for the fact that the wind direction changes as the high pressure area moves slowly around.

All I can say is finally a tail wind. Very very light one with a touch of head wind also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I passed wind today does that count, Went out yesterday Dunboyne to city centre head wind all the way, headed home after a cup of tea and..................

Yes you guessed it fecking head wind again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I was actually just thinking this yesterday. Cycling up the N81 one minute I had a head wind, next a tail wind, seemed a bit all over the place. Just as I passed the weather station shortly after Brittas the windmill part of it with the tail wing was spinning around in a circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm from Donegal and find the wind direction changes regularly on my spins. I do a 40km spin which is basically from A to B and turn round and back to A and regularly have headwinds in both directions...which is soooo annoying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sea breezes, it's to do with the relative temperature of the land v the sea. This temperature differential varies over the day.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The wind will generally change between morning and evening in coastal areas. It has to do with the difference between land and sea temperatures, how quickly they heat up and how well they retain they retain the heat.

Edit.
    Sorry. Didn't see your post on my phone Brian.

Advertisement