Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free banking rules in AIB changed

• 21-03-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

To avail of free banking in AIB, you need to keep a balance of 2,500 in credit for the full quarter!!

Time to move banks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

What? They haven't notified me of this :confused: What are the charges going to be like?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ouch. You're right!
    From Monday 28th May 2012:
    Personal current account (including cashsave account) customers who maintain a minimum daily credit statement balance of €2,500 in the account for each fee quarter3 can qualify for maintenance and transaction free banking.

http://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/A-way-to-bank-for-free

• Registered Users Posts: 26 prestigio1977

Just heard and I'm not impressed, another way to squeeze the last few pennies out of me, think I'll be shopping around, but are all the banks going to follow suit??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Is that 2500 to mantain between all your accounts or just your current account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

'From Monday 28th May 2012:
    Personal current account (including cashsave account) customers who maintain a minimum daily credit statement balance of €2,500 in the account for each fee quarter3 can qualify for maintenance and transaction free banking.'

'What happens if my account falls below the €2,500 credit threshold?

Your account will be charged account maintenance and transaction fees for the entire fee quarter. For example, fees will post on the 17th September (for the fee quarter from 28th May - 31st August 2012) if the account has not met the revised criteria.'

That's disgusting and unjustified. More punishment for having what little money one may have in savings accounts or bonds, etc. and keeping their current account balance to a minimum. Personally that's an extra €60 a year in charges for me. I hope people vote with their feet.

• Advertisement

Not sure, but I would imagine it's per account.

Be moving to Ulster bank so, also removing all my savings etc from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Might look into moving my banking then! Does anynow know of a good comparison website of the charges by the different banks for maintaining a current account ? Thanks :)

Ulster bank is free banking

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It says here that they expect that 40% of their customers will still qualify for free banking after this change. Who in their right mind keeps a minimum buffer of €2,500 in a current account for christ's sake? Absolutely ludicrous.

• Advertisement

phonypony wrote: »
    'From Monday 28th May 2012:
    Personal current account (including cashsave account) customers who maintain a minimum daily credit statement balance of €2,500 in the account for each fee quarter3 can qualify for maintenance and transaction free banking.'

'What happens if my account falls below the €2,500 credit threshold?

Your account will be charged account maintenance and transaction fees for the entire fee quarter. For example, fees will post on the 17th September (for the fee quarter from 28th May - 31st August 2012) if the account has not met the revised criteria.'

That's disgusting and unjustified. More punishment for having what little money one may have in savings accounts or bonds, etc. and keeping their current account balance to a minimum. Personally that's an extra €60 a year in charges for me. I hope people vote with their feet.

My fees would have been €41 last week were it not for free banking, that means €160 per year. I'm lucky to have a tenner in credit, never mind €2,500, if I had, then I could afford the fees, fecking typical...hitting the vulnerable AGAIN. I've already started looking at other banks, but they appear to be similar in charging, so unless I close my account altogether and go back to dealing in cash, then I think I don't have much choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

moved from politics

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭john.martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I really don't want to change banks - I've had this account since I was 16. I have all my direct debits etc set up too..... but I cannot justify €60 a year on nothing.

Dump the irish banks and move to Ulster bank

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

BOI is lodge 3k per quarter, not maintain every day 3k in the account. AIB is maintain 2500 every day in the account or else you get charged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

+1 on Ulster Bank, have been with them since the Henry Hippo phase in the mid-80's, have never been charged for banking with them, they've a very good banking app aswell.In so far as switching, I thought the bank has to arrange all that for you ie moving Direct Debits etc

I've just filled in an application online for Ulster Bank account, so simple.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Alun wrote: »
    It says here that they expect that 40% of their customers will still qualify for free banking after this change. Who in their right mind keeps a minimum buffer of €2,500 in a current account for christ's sake? Absolutely ludicrous.

Note that "this figure [40%] includes students accounts, graduate accounts and accounts for customers over 60" - all of which automatically attract free banking IIRC. I'd imagine the proportion of "normal" current accounts that will continue with free banking will be a LOT less than 40%!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The national consumer agency have a good comparison for daily banking...

• Advertisement

I've just filled in an application online for Ulster Bank account, so simple.:)

Hope you requested a Henry Hippo money box aswell....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm with AIB. I moved from TSB after they started increasing interests rates off their own bat in 2009.

I'll let my feet do the talking and will be switching soon. Do Ulster Bank do visa debt cards? Might be a chance to dump the credit card as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

jameshayes wrote: »
    The national consumer agency have a good comparison for daily banking...

Ya, Ulster bank looks like the best option

http://compare.nca.ie/CurrentAccount

godtabh wrote: »
    I'm with AIB. I moved from TSB after they started increasing interests rates off their own bat in 2009.

I'll let my feet do the talking and will be switching soon. Do Ulster Bank do visa debt cards? Might be a chance to dump the credit card as well

Yes, Ulster Bank do VISA Debit cards, they were actually the first to do it in Ireland, I've has mine since mid-2010

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

godtabh wrote: »

Ulster Bank do Visa Debit cards.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

just a personal experience of UB - they seem to operate each branch independently, i know that sounds stupid but everything seems to be hassle unless you go to your own branch...

I am with PTSB and my GF is with UB and I can just ring up PTSB and do whatever needs to be done, but if she needs simple things like check the balance on a loan, or a recent example is turn off an overdraft facility she needs to go to the branch she signed up in which is a pain because she has moved to the other side of Dublin since. Getting the OD removed took weeks and countless visits & phonecalls.

She is moving from UB now after all the hassle and is thinking of joining PTSB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

So if I have a student account with them I wont be charged? Opened a student account years ago and haven't once been charged fees. If they do, Ill be over to UB

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

This is a disgrace, have a few accounts with aib and would not keep 2.5 k in my current account in case my card was swipped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

AIB just seem to be in a process of broadening the list of people they can screw. If I remember correctly, AIB stopped applying interest to current accounts a few months ago. So now your current account is a 0% interest rate. Probably this made people move money out of their current accounts and now they are just counteracting this effect.

2 scenarios are (they are screwing you either way):
    You keep greater than 2500 and get free banking but lose out on 2-3% interest rate €50-€75 per year.
    You keep less than 2500 and lose out on free banking they charge you fees etc.

It's a tax on your current account, that is all, scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Cashsave accounts too :(

Advertisement