Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liam Neeson Considers Converting To Islam

Options
  • 25-01-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

liam-neeson-the-world-premiere-of-the_3680002.jpg
    Irish actor Liam Neeson is considering converting to Islam after becoming fascinated by the religion while filming in Turkey.
    The Taken star grew up as a devout Catholic who acted as an altar boy at his local church and was even named after a priest.
    However, during a trip to Istanbul to shoot a film, he was moved by Muslims' Call To Prayer, which takes place five times a day to summon followers to worship.
    He says, "The Call to Prayer happens five times a day and for the first week it drives you crazy, and then it just gets into your spirit and it's the most beautiful, beautiful thing.
    "There are 4,000 mosques in the city. Some are just stunning and it really makes me think about becoming a Muslim."
    Neeson admits he has always been both fascinated and baffled by religion, adding, "I was reared a Catholic but I think every day we ask ourselves, not consciously, what are we doing on this planet? What's it all about?
    "I'm constantly reading books on God or the absence of God and atheism."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/liam-neeson-considers-converting-to-islam_1287137
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I'm thinking of cutting me toe nails.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Been smoking the pipe in Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

"There are 4,000 mosques in the city. Some are just stunning and it really makes me think about becoming a Muslim."

There's some stunning scenery on Mars, why doesn't he become a Martian..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Typical movie star nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I was in the same movie as this guy back in the 90,s we went on a session was some craic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Fair play to him, If Islam can give him something that is missing then why not ? I see some of my Muslim neighbours and I see how content in life they are as they are practising their faith all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

charlemont wrote: »
    Fair play to him, If Islam can give him something that is missing then why not ? I see some of my Muslim neighbours and I see how content in life they are as they are practising their faith all the time.

Yes I often see Muslim women and men around Ennis and other cities and towns around Ireland and I must say there mannerisms and relaxed ways are to be admired...

I love that sound I would hear on tv sometimes of the sound of the Muslims being called to prayer.....

I would describe myself as a Christian but have the upmost respect of the Muslim faith they never harmed me,one of my favourite people in history was Saladine a v humble leader.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

He should join whatever religion gives skiing lessons.

What? Too soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Meh its upto him. Whatever makes him happy sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

patwicklow wrote: »
    I was in the same movie as this guy back in the 90,s we went on a session was some craic

whooosh :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Poor Liam. He must be in a bad way mentally, the way in which he was speaking.
    "I'm constantly reading books on God or the absence of God and atheism."

My friends mother walked out on the father leaving him a lone parent with 5 children. He wa a catholic, but some door to door Mormons changed his mind. He started reading their book.

They always get you when you are down. Liam is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

Where in the article does he say he is thinking of converting to Islam? So he says he likes a few mosque buildings and thinks about God and religion. How does this translate into : I'm converting to Islam.

DoubleD wrote: »
    Where in the article does he say he is thinking of converting to Islam? So he says he likes a few mosque buildings and thinks about God and religion. How does this translate into : I'm converting to Islam.

Well said DoubleD some people seem to really put the spanner on the works like whoever went on about the Mormons seems to be v negative and didn't look at the fact this guy went back to his wife and kids thank God I'm not narrow minded I know many Christians Hindus and Newage Spiritualists who are moved by the Islamic gardens, Mosques and that beautiful call to prayer 5 times a day ha they always get you when your down does that mean all the people who get stressed sick or have spiritual awakenings are got when they are down. People will turn to God one way or the other whether through Islam Christianity Jewish faith Hinduism Bahais Celtic Spirituality Newage Spirituality.......

Yes I was down I found God God didn't find me I'm not a holy Joe but have a good spiritual connection Liam might be a mystical kinda guy and most of the successful celebs or businesses people and Artists who live a clean living reformed life had an awakening and say fair play to them......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

A lot of folks seem to be having an over the top negative reaction. Also, he hasn't said he is going to actually convert either, sounds like the comment is being taken out of context to me.

wes wrote: »
    A lot of folks seem to be having an over the top negative reaction. Also, he hasn't said he is going to actually convert either, sounds like the comment is being taken out of context to me.

Yeah I agree with you there I went a bit astray myself too with my conments.....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

Liam Neeson is supposed to be on Graham Norton's show tonight, so maybe he'll ask him and we'll hear what the real story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Irish_Muslim

If he accepts Islam then one thing will be clear.
    It is his own choice to accept Islam and he is not forced to become a Muslim.

We should accept personal choices and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

My own belief is that ALL religion is strictly for the birds, but I like Liam Neeson as an actor and, from what I've read, he seems to have a lot going for him as a person as well. I just hope what he has said, says, will say or will be reported as having said does not cause him too much hassle in his life now that Islamophobia seems to have become as serious and disgusting a phenomenon as Jew-hating was in the past.

islamophobia410.jpg

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    My own belief is that ALL religion is strictly for the birds, but I like Liam Neeson as an actor and, from what I've read, he seems to have a lot going for him as a person as well. I just hope what he has said, says, will say or will be reported as having said does not cause him too much hassle in his life now that Islamophobia seems to have become as serious and disgusting a phenomenon as Jew-hating was in the past.

islamophobia410.jpg

You must be the most religious and a person of divine wisdom on this discussion as yes the birds have complete freedom to see what they want fly whenever and where ever they like while us humans are grid locked in ques traffic jams mortgaged to capitalism and so on if only we could fly like the birds.... You should research Islamic Sufism as your onto something there the Muslim mystics had great short stories about wisdom.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 irishben

Read that article, He never said he was going to convert.

• Advertisement

irishben wrote: »
    Read that article, He never said he was going to convert.

And the beat goes on......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I thought he was a Jedi

May the force be with ye always.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I've had to put up these call to prayers on two business trips so far, they're ****ing annoying.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I've had to put up these call to prayers on two business trips so far, they're ****ing annoying.

Don't knock it till you try it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Northclare wrote: »

What, being brainwashed into believing there's an all knowing all doing deity that we need to obey and love?

No thanks, I'd rather keep my IQ level right where it is.

KamiKazi wrote: »

What, being brainwashed into believing there's an all knowing all doing deity that we need to obey and love?

No thanks, I'd rather keep my IQ level right where it is.

Actually you just proved your IQ level with your us and them quote oh humility is a gift that people with your attitude will never understand well done you walked yourself into that one......

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

Actually you just proved your IQ level with your us and them quote oh humility is a gift that people with your attitude will never understand well done you walked yourself into that one......

LMAO.

Will people ever stop defending Irelands most hateful religion.

Poor poor Islam. My heart bleeds.

Go on, ban me again.

lagente wrote: »

LMAO.

Will people ever stop defending Irelands most hateful religion.

Poor poor Islam. My heart bleeds.

Go on, ban me again.

LOL I'm glad I'm not religious or spiritual but I do know hatred is bad for the soul and when one goes on the line of us and them its only a reflection of their own inadequacies.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

LOL I'm glad I'm not religious or spiritual but I do know hatred is bad for the soul and when one goes on the line of us and them its only a reflection of their own inadequacies.......

You leave my little willy out of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement