Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC Desire Cyanogenmod: Starting Out

Options
  • 25-02-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I recently rooted my Desire and installed Cyanogenmod 6.1.1 and, even though everything is working fine, I have a few questions.

1. Do I need to upgrade the radio? Or should I bother, as the stock one is still working? I've seen several mentions of this on various sites, but no conclusive yes/no answer.

2. Is there a good camera app available that's closer to HTC's version? The stock one on Cyanogenmod keeps crashing after a few minutes, requiring a reboot to open it up again after each crash. Alternatively, is there a way to just make that camera more stable?

3. What are the benefits of doing the S-Off procedure? I've seen that mentioned, but am unclear as to what I'd actually gain from it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I recently rooted my Desire and installed Cyanogenmod 6.1.1 and, even though everything is working fine, I have a few questions.

1. Do I need to upgrade the radio? Or should I bother, as the stock one is still working? I've seen several mentions of this on various sites, but no conclusive yes/no answer.

2. Is there a good camera app available that's closer to HTC's version? The stock one on Cyanogenmod keeps crashing after a few minutes, requiring a reboot to open it up again after each crash. Alternatively, is there a way to just make that camera more stable?

3. What are the benefits of doing the S-Off procedure? I've seen that mentioned, but am unclear as to what I'd actually gain from it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!:)

First off I would recommend installing Cyanogen Mod 7 RC1.

Download the most recent radio, which is linked to in that thread, also download the google apps. Install the lot. Then download and run simple 2 ext from the market to enable Apps2SD+

The reason your camera currently crashes is likely because you have not flashed a more recent radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Your camera crashing could be related to your radio being on an old version, you should probably upgrade it the recommended version, you can always roll back if you need to...

Adfree used to work for me before, then, no matter what ROM i used, it wouldn't block any ads...i read somewhere that S-off would help. So i S-offed, and adfree works again....other than that i'm not sure of any real world advantages....i'm sure others are...

One suggestion is to go for CyanogenMod 7, gingerbread ROM. I'm running it for a couple of weeks now, very stable...really like it...

Doh, Inquitus got in there before me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

When u boot into that bootloader, look up the top. Mine says pvt4 s-on. The pvt4 is the newer one and I think needs something different to get s-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 EskimoErased

Inquitus wrote: »

Download the most recent radio, which is linked to in that thread, also download the google apps. Install the lot. Then download and run simple 2 ext from the market to enable Apps2SD+

The reason your camera currently crashes is likely because you have not flashed a more recent radio.

I'd rather wait for a stable version of Cyanogenmod 7 before moving to that. Can one install that radio version on earlier versions of Cyanogen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

I've just started using this as a test, have a NAND backup of my original SENSE ROM.
    I'm using Build #8 and it seems great so far. The browser is super fast and the phone responsiveness is excellent too.
    I'll do some battery test over the next 2 days and see how it goes.

I am drowning in menu options I have no idea what they do.
    There are so many (cool) options in Cyanogenmod and ADW Settings to try and figure out.

Any tips for first time Cyanogenmod users?

• Advertisement

Get Launcher Pro and Beautiful widgets. Basically turns it back into Sensem with all the cyanogen goodness! :p
    Also, use the power widget on ur home screen, the default settings are fine. Through this, you can turn off wifi, 3g, gps, brightness and bluetooth easily. Works better than anything for saving battery, especially since JuiceDefender cant turn GPS/wifi off in gingerbread.

also, I only have 3 or 4 screes. First one apps, 2nd one home screen with clock, power, core apps (txt,phone), 3rd screen is games and 4th is music player and FM radio.

I think the less screens with useless widgets, the more battery you'll save too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Inquitus wrote: »

decided to try out cm6 yesterday. impressed by the speed, coming from leedroid, but was having out of memory issues on my desire after reinstalling apps from titanium backup.
    does the app2sd+ work ok with cm7rc1 (or should i go with rc2??) and is the build fairly stable (on 6 my wifi dropped once or twice which never happened with leedroid)

Release candidate 3 is out now for all supported handsets.

Looks like final release of CM7 is close, lots of features being held back for 7.1

Does it have a changelog this time? I couldnt find one for RC2 when that got released. Must have a search around the site.

couldn't find a specific version one either, only a general major version one...

• Advertisement

RC4 out now, more bugfixes.
    http://download.cyanogenmod.com/

ffs, i just updated to RC3 last night!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The_B_Man wrote: »
    ffs, i just updated to RC3 last night!! :(
    Just update without formatting. That's all I'm doing the last few weeks. Well I formatted once or twice going from one rom to another but not if I'm going from one cyanogen to another.

ye but it takes ages to do that nandroid backup every time! I think its about 400mb too, so considering all the music etc I have on my SD, I've only room for the one, so have to go delete the previous one each time too.
    It crap too how they dont specify what has been changed in each release, so we can see if we really need the new functionality!

must have been an some issue with RC3?? Seems a very fast jump to rc4...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

what is this HTC Desire Cyanogenmod ??

is it just a firmware type thing?

Ye mada, its just updating the phone software.
    Cyanogenmod was made by some bloke in the states, so its different to the official android frmware for the desire.

found the changelogs:
    http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=bravo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Installed 7 RC4 this morning. Very impressed so far just need to check the battery life.

Sounds like the final release of CM7 will be a week from now.

LoGiE wrote: »
    Installed 7 RC4 this morning. Very impressed so far just need to check the battery life.

Very impressed over an earlier RC release or a different rom??

• Advertisement

Over the stock vodafone/HTC sense that came on the phone. I really like the new keyboard and the battery life seems a hell of a lot better.

looks like final release, 7.0.0 is out :-)

Final release links for all devices:
    http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices

Gonna probably upgrade to 7 final tonight. Any issues from anyone before I do the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 EskimoErased

I upgraded to CM7 earlier today, no issues so far, everything's running well. I particularly like the lock-screen animation - very fancy! :D

I would, however, advise flashing via the recovery screen and doing a full factory wipe and cache clear, as advised on the Cyanogen Wiki, especially when flashing the Google Apps package.

I had difficulties installing Google Maps the first time around, so did a full wipe and went back again, flashing from the recovery screen instead of from ROM manager.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hmm tempted, just went back to Leedroid 2.2.3 the other day, and the battery life is fantastic. 68% remaining after a long day at work.

I had been on Android Revolution 4 for about a month, was loving it until when I was checking my calender on Friday, the phone froze and I had to flash a rom to get it working again.

I haven't tried CM7 but am interested, and since it's on final version now, it would be a good time to try. Anyone who used the roms I previously mentioned give me a good reason to change?

haven't used leedroid since 2.3d or something, cyanogen was alot more customisable than leedroid at the time, i assume it still is....also i wanted to get away from sense, and chose my own launcher etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I updated yesterday to 7.0 stable and had no issues other than my gps acting a bit funny for a while last night. Seems to have self righted itself.

Flashing now.... I tried RC4 for a while before giving coredroid a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Updated to cm7 last night on my HTC desire. No issues so far, super smooth, quick and would appear to be easier on the battery but need to observe over the next few days to be sure. Leedroid was becoming way to slow and laggy. Happy out with my choice so far.

Advertisement