Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

somehope11 wrote: »
    Im wondering when they got the supplementary forms back did they not get enough to make it worth their while holding the interviews.Maybe they have contacted the next batch to be interviewed and thats why its been put back three weeks.Did anybody get called in the 600s?.

You have to remember,The interview stages are now a process of elimination.. So, if there is 200 jobs (I don't know what figure if jobs is available, I'm just using this as an example..) they would probably use a ratio of 3:1 for the interview to give them a wide spread to help fill the posts..so that may be why they are waiting to get all the numbers in..

Also remember, This is the public service... Not everything makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 abj

Everybodies circumstances differ so it's hard to say definitively if it would be worth it. Certainly in the longer term it would most definitely be but you will most likely find it tough in the shorter term (first 3 years or so.)
    It also depends on where you live/are based as transfer waiting times vary enormously depending on where you're looking to get to. I'd say that if ye're in Dublin grab it...if you're elsewhere down the country somewhere do your homework based on your own circumstances.
    Depending on where he ends up working the time off can be quite good and can be 'managed' through swops etc. and it's pretty much every second weekend off.

Personally...Despite some hard times, I'd do it all again tomorrow..

He has sent in his form and got his date for interview, we live about half an hour from Portlaoise but obviously theres no certainty he'll get there and not somewhere in Dublin and anyone we've been talking to has said that he will have to spend a few years in Dublin starting off anyway.

Everyones circumstances do differ and we are giving this careful consideration its not like we can just say yes and forget about it.

Also is it said that you do 30 years service and then can retire and if not you have to retire at 60 years of age? If this is the case then he will be 3 years short of 30 years service by the time he's sixty so that will affect his pension (if any given the way this government is doing things! but thats a whole other topic!)

Even though he's not even through the interviews yet its still a lot to think about - nothing worth doing is ever easy I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

Im wondering when they got the supplementary forms back did they not get enough to make it worth their while holding the interviews.Maybe they have contacted the next batch to be interviewed and thats why its been put back three weeks.Did anybody get called in the 600s?.

I can't remember exactly where I came in the aptitude test but I think I came in between 70 and 100, remember being confused with the letter that had both congratulations and unfortunately within 3 lines of eachother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

abj wrote: »
    He has sent in his form and got his date for interview, we live about half an hour from Portlaoise but obviously theres no certainty he'll get there and not somewhere in Dublin and anyone we've been talking to has said that he will have to spend a few years in Dublin starting off anyway.

Everyones circumstances do differ and we are giving this careful consideration its not like we can just say yes and forget about it.

Also is it said that you do 30 years service and then can retire and if not you have to retire at 60 years of age? If this is the case then he will be 3 years short of 30 years service by the time he's sixty so that will affect his pension (if any given the way this government is doing things! but thats a whole other topic!)

Even though he's not even through the interviews yet its still a lot to think about - nothing worth doing is ever easy I suppose!

Given that information I'd say go for it. There's loads of lads car pooling etc and travelling up and down every day so expenses are shared. As I said, the first 3 years will be tough enough until he gets on the proper pay-scale. He will be stuck in Dublin for a while and won't get back to Portlaoise anytime soon though :-(
    Regarding the 30 years, your information is correct. However, you have the option of 'buying' those 3 years of service but it's quite expensive and IMO he'd be better off starting an 'AVC' when he has 10-15 years left to serve. In either case, the difference if he just goes with what he's earned in a pension it should still be fairly decent (Depending on what our wonderful leaders decide next!!)
    It can be a daunting step to take for anybody but, much as we might complain about it, the amount of people that genuinely regret joining is miniscule. Best of luck either way !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

brigal wrote: »
    I can't remember exactly where I came in the aptitude test but I think I came in between 70 and 100, remember being confused with the letter that had both congratulations and unfortunately within 3 lines of eachother
    From how i thought it worked,and im totally open to correction here,the interviews are in batches of 120.Im in the 480 to 600 batch and this is why i was asking is anybody over 600 being asked for interview.If you are in between 70 and 100 i must have it wrong,anyway the fact you have been called for interview is a good sign and we have been waiting 3years for this so 3 weeks extra is not goin to make any difference to us.

• Advertisement

From how i thought it worked,and im totally open to correction here,the interviews are in batches of 120.Im in the 480 to 600 batch and this is why i was asking is anybody over 600 being asked for interview.If you are in between 70 and 100 i must have it wrong,anyway the fact you have been called for interview is a good sign and we have been waiting 3years for this so 3 weeks extra is not goin to make any difference to us.

To be honest I wasn't waiting, I had long forgot about this competition, thought I'd have to apply again, hope I get over the next hurdle and clear sailing after that

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Tbh I think u are right about the numbers, I think Brigal is mistaken or else there application was misplaced for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mufc2011

Got my date this morning, does the fact its in 3 weeks time and the interviews are starting on the 6th potentially mean hundreds of people are being interviewed?
    no the public appointments service postponed interviews there starting 13th of feb interview 120 at a time

mufc2011 wrote: »
    no the public appointments service postponed interviews there starting 13th of feb interview 120 at a time

120 invites or acceptances, do you know how big the classes are and how many there will be?

120 invites or acceptances, do you know how big the classes are and how many there will be?

120 invites usually the classes are 20 and usually take 2 in close succession from wat i hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Best of luck to anyone doing interviews tomorrow or any of the days coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

They can take in 3 classes of 25ish if push came to shove, best of luck to anyone who gets an interview, and be prepared for it, their not trying to catch you out, just be prepared.:D

well lads anyone roughly no how long youl be waiting for medicals and physicals after interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

can anyone off the existing panel that has been successful with the process pm me some tips for the interviews ?

cavan4sam wrote: »
    can anyone off the existing panel that has been successful with the process pm me some tips for the interviews ?

I would also like some tips but was afraid to ask because of the paranoia of "watchers" around the place, I'm sure the best advise is to be yourself as that way you can't trip yourself up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I would also like some tips but was afraid to ask because of the paranoia of "watchers" around the place, I'm sure the best advise is to be yourself as that way you can't trip yourself up

There's only one paranoid tin-foil hat wearer on here who talks about 'the watchers', dont let it become a staple of the forum! If it was a case of 'watchers' or whatever, this would be private I'm sure.

Anyway brigal and cavan4sam, PM's on the way ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I did offer a private forum for P/Os which would be the closest thing to private you could get, and it received mixed reaction. Some said Yay, some said nay. Because of the naysayers, the forum died and any P/Os on here lost the chance to have their own little "invite only" corner of boards due to the mistrust.

If anyone ever changes their mind, let me know and we'll give it another go. The benefits are it's hidden, private, you (as a team of founding P/Os) make up your own rules, and you (as a team of founding P/Os) decide who gets in and who doesn't.

Bear in mind that the Emergency Services forum on here was suggested and rejected a few times. Only when boards felt ready and the right person (ahem) worked hard to make it successful did it grow legs of its own and spawn all the sub-forums you see. If someone wants to take it on (preferably a serving P/O) then just drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

well lads anyone roughly no how long youl be waiting for medicals and physicals after interview?

i done my interview in october, pass that, done medical around march and started training in october but from what i know it can all change

pada1981 wrote: »

i done my interview in october, pass that, done medical around march and started training in october but from what i know it can all change

From what I can gather from previous public jobs under certain circumstances it could only take like 2 weeks from interview to starting, happened 2 of my friends when they joined the guards about 6 or so years back they got a call on the friday telling them to be in templemore on the monday and considering all the retirements at the end of the month something similar could happen here

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

From what I can gather from previous public jobs under certain circumstances it could only take like 2 weeks from interview to starting, happened 2 of my friends when they joined the guards about 6 or so years back they got a call on the friday telling them to be in templemore on the monday and considering all the retirements at the end of the month something similar could happen here
    the retirements have been happening consistantly in the prison service over the last few months there wont be a huge glut going in the next while i think, The prisons are now running at a massive shortage of staff so any newbies wil be greatly welcomed :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

Prisons are very short staffed at the moment but I would be surprised if they were filled up to previous staffing levels, in the current financial climate. On a positive gone are the days of senior staff disliking recruits because they thought their overtime was being robbed.

thanks lads just thought wit retirements and the extensions to the dochas and midlands prisons expected to be opening soon thought they mite take ppl on quicker

anyone do interview today ?

anyone do interview today ?

Were they definitely on today? Mines next week

Were they definitely on today? Mines next week

not sure thought they starting this week for some reason

@cavan4sam

Are we the only 2 on here due an interview that you know of?

@cavan4sam

Are we the only 2 on here due an interview that you know of?

it wud seem so
    time for me to get my ass in gear and get more prep done

it wud seem so
    time for me to get my ass in gear and get more prep done

Strange, thought more people would use this thread, I'm not missing out on one am I?
    I've been meaning to put my ass in gear since I found out, all I've managed to do is lose a stone in 3 weeks which is only any good if I get to stage 3

anyone nlo how long you wait till u hear how ya did after interview?

• Advertisement

anyone nlo how long you wait till u hear how ya did after interview?

Could take a week or more or they might wait til after all the interviews are complete, how do you feel it went??

Advertisement