Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon TV- Awful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

paulboland wrote: »
    World Pack HD
    3 multi Room Subscriptions
    Should be €139 a month not €180

Entertainment Extra with Sports and Movies HD €94
    Extra Subscription €15
    Extra Subscription €15
    Extra Subscription €15

Total = €139

What is €180 for

HD use to be €15 per room aswell
    Only changed recently where €15 covered all rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Wils110 wrote: »
    HD use to be €15 per room aswell
    Only changed recently where €15 covered all rooms

Sky HD Pack yes is €15 covers all boxes only one payment

Sky Multiroom is not a HD Pack its a subscription and is still €15 per Sky box in a home

Sky HD Pack yes is €15 covers all boxes only one payment

Sky Multiroom is not a HD Pack its a subscription and is still €15 per Sky box in a home

I think your misunderstanding.last year HD was €15 per box along with multiroom €15 per additional box.
    when the op wit the a bill of €180 was paying that amount that is why it was so high.
    So you payed 15 for the HD and 15 for the multi sub on each box

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I sent mine back within a few weeks and got the original box back.
    If the new box gets an update and gets way better I'll consider it.

Has anyone documented all the annoyances and problems with it? I started writing a huge list - its in my gmail somewhere but i got bored and never posted it. I think UPC need to see in plain english all the issues they need to fix - and have a massive thread in support of them doing it

Wils110 wrote: »
    I think your misunderstanding.last year HD was €15 per box along with multiroom €15 per additional box.
    when the op wit the a bill of €180 was paying that amount that is why it was so high.
    So you payed 15 for the HD and 15 for the multi sub on each box

HD Pack €15 covers all Sky HD Boxes since 2011 (Only 1 HD Pack is Required)

His post was already answered
    no need for you to reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Zascar wrote: »
    I sent mine back within a few weeks and got the original box back.
    If the new box gets an update and gets way better I'll consider it.

Has anyone documented all the annoyances and problems with it? I started writing a huge list - its in my gmail somewhere but i got bored and never posted it. I think UPC need to see in plain english all the issues they need to fix - and have a massive thread in support of them doing it

Hah, there are so many in the trial thread (many of which still exist) that I doubt if anyone has the time.

Found another small one that's a little annoying. If you set an upcoming programme to record, you can't also set a reminder for it. It's one or the other. That's a pity, as (for example) I'll often record an Ireland game that I'll watch in the pub, but I want a reminder as I like to watch the build-up at home first. No can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Got this today and installed it.

The remote is not working and can't pair with it.

I tried the remote control app on the iphone and it is not working either.

To do a factory reset you need the remote control.

Anyone any ideas.

Also the picture drops off intermittently.

HD Pack €15 covers all Sky HD Boxes since 2011 (Only 1 HD Pack is Required)

His post was already answered
    no need for you to reply

He had it over 2 years ago hence 180

dingding wrote: »
    Got this today and installed it.

The remote is not working and can't pair with it.

I tried the remote control app on the iphone and it is not working either.

To do a factory reset you need the remote control.

Anyone any ideas.

Also the picture drops off intermittently.

Sorry if this is patronising, but IIRC there was a plastic tab wrapped around the battery in the remote when it was shipped, did you remove that?

who_me wrote: »
    Sorry if this is patronising, but IIRC there was a plastic tab wrapped around the battery in the remote when it was shipped, did you remove that?

Hi removed that, when I was installing the box.

I had another go today and got it to pair now.

Just seems slow now to change channel.

• Advertisement

dingding wrote: »
    Hi removed that, when I was installing the box.

I had another go today and got it to pair now.

Just seems slow now to change channel.

Good to hear (that it's working, not that it's slow :)). Several people are complaining about that, for me it's ok - at least any slowness in changing seems to be down to how long the box takes to change channel, not the slowness of the remote.

My annoyance is that all this was brought up by people including myself trialling it. Done countless surveys but nothing has changed.

Found out what the problem is. My LG Smart TV is interfering with the remote.

When I have the TV turned off it works fine and when I turn it on the remote gets slow and intermittent. Based on feedback on the UPC reps the solution was to reset the TV to default and remove the internet.

Makes no sense for a broadband provider to have to disable the web functionality from a TV to get the cable box to work.

Might think about it over the weekend and return it as it is not fit for purpose.

I think the issue is the wireless controller for the LG Television is interfering with the remote.

UPC are aware of the problem and working on it, however I don't want to be stuck with it if they cant fix it.

Got it sorted.

I had to delete the TV from both the wired and wireless internet. Then I had to add another wireless access point and then connect the tv to this over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Horizon box is awful, period. I am just hoping that eventually it will improve.

It freezes, recordings gets messed up, awful tv guide, wifi dropping few times every day.

Now they have started messing around with the channel line up.

They have taken away few channels link CNN from their €73 bundle and moved them to MAX package. Another way of forcing you to pay more money.

AVOID UPC FOR TV SERVICE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The 'Delete' part of the recordings makes no sense to me.

I currently have 30 episodes of a show that I've viewed, and I want to remove them.
    The options are to delete each episode on by one (there must be 5 steps involved in deleting 1 episode).
    Then the other option is to 'delete everything'. I though this would be associated with only the series, but when I press it - it's a warning about deleting all programmes and shows from the box.

I don't understand why this option is under a particular episode of a programme. Why not have 'delete episode' and 'delete programme'?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

Horizon has no basic functions like series deletion.
    It has series recording but doesnt work propely, it records multiples of same episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I've finally had enough with Horizion - going to move back to SKY

Simple tasks are just so cumbersome to do.
    SKY's UI is years old and is 10 times quicker to use. I want to quickly see whats on now and next.
    2) Why the hell can't you see what's on now AND next AT THE SAME TIME?!?!?! Seriously, this is insane and makes finding anything to watch near impossible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Huge discussion came up about Horizon today with loads of people in work. Everyone hated it. Cannot understand how they got it so so wrong. It baffles me as to how they made it almost worse than the 10 year old technology it was replacing. All they had to do was take what worked with the old box, fix what did not and generally improve the speed, and add a few extra features. How hard can that be?
    What annoyed me most is how they actually added steps/clicks to do simple things - making the basicas a longer process. ANYONE who has a clue about usability and UI design etc knows this is a cardinal sin. What sort of monkeys did they have designing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

We have had the box for around 2 months now, and I still struggle to find out how to display what programme is showing next.

The apps section is completely useless to me. Watching Youtube on it is hell. Fast forwarding a clip is near impossible.

For recording a whole series, it annoys me that it displays newest to oldest. For example, a soap like Emmerdale, if I'm 3 weeks behind - I have to scroll 15 times down to the last episode I viewed, while trying to avoid any of the information/spoilers that occur in upcoming episodes.

And why is the number 1 button so close to the power on/off button. I don't have big fingers, but I have on several occasions accidentally pressed the wrong button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Zascar wrote: »
    What annoyed me most is how they actually added steps/clicks to do simple things - making the basicas a longer process. ANYONE who has a clue about usability and UI design etc

nail....head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

iseegirls wrote: »
    if I'm 3 weeks behind - I have to scroll 15 times down to the last episode I viewed, while trying to avoid any of the information/spoilers that occur in upcoming episodes.
    By accident I found that if you scroll up once, it brings you to the oldest episode :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 itstomb

just checking my mobile phone bill and discovered that I was charged a total of 13.07euros for calls I made to order Horizon .... its 1890 918444 number I was told to call by UPC 1909 operator when eventually answered after usual long hold.

Since Horizon piece of crap being returned I am especially pissed.

itstomb wrote: »
    .. just checking my mobile phone bill and discovered that I was charged a total of 13.07euros for calls I made to order Horizon .... its 1890 918444 number I was told to call by UPC 1909 operator when eventually answered after usual long hold.

Since Horizon piece of crap being returned I am especially pissed.

UPC number is 1908
    and is free

You choose sales option when asked

1909 is not UPC number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

Hi Folks,

If anyone is experiencing issues with their Horizon service we can investigate this for you. Just PM UPC: Reps with your account details and we will follow up with you.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Edited posts for same reason as in other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

I'm assuming everyone complaining has read through the manual at least once?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

seanie27 wrote: »
    I'm assuming everyone complaining has read through the manual at least once?
    Maybe you have a different manual to the rest of us. I've read mine a few times and it is one of the worst manuals I have ever seen.

It tells you where the sections are but not what they do. For example I cannot figure out if I have auto delete recordings on or not.
    In the manual it tells us about the channel menu "press back to access" but the box does not do what the manual says. Instead of Now, Next, On Demand, More Like This and Apps what actually appears is only Now, Next and Apps.
    The ordinary box takes one button push to get to recorded programmes and tells you how much space you have used. It takes 15 button pushes to see how much disk space is in use on the Horizon box, never mind 2 pushes to get to the recorded programmes.

According to the manual the suggestions are supposed to be about the current programme being watched but they are not.

Maybe I am extremely stupid but I can't even figure how to access the battery compartment, it seems to be glued on, this is not even explained in the manual.

The features in the box are excellent, getting to them is a nightmare. Whoever put the delete everything option beside the delete this programme should be strung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I had a laugh today talking to a UPC rep on the phone, she mentioned that their equipment was some of the best around, when I went on my rant about how unfriendly the UI is and that it's impossible to delete recordings efficiently she told me they have never received such feedback and I was the first person to say it to her (she implied the company).

Everyone and their dog knows how bad the UI is on Horizon, I was talking to my uncle about it and he asked me how the box was as he was thinking of upgrading, before I could say anything to him he said "but I hear the box isn't great to use". So UPC seem to be shielding themselves from the feedback we have been giving them for the last 7 months.

4.3kwh South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You're not going to get Gandi on a support call. They will toe the official line.

Advertisement