Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applying for new licence.

Options
  • 17-02-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hi just a quick question about my driving licence. (Might be a stupid question too!)

I passed my test on Friday and will be applying for my full licence tomorrow. Do they take your provisional from you when you apply for the full licence?
    If so, does that mean that you actually have no licence while waiting on your new one? Do you keep a copy of your certificate of competency for proof if you are stopped by the guards?
    I heard there's a long waiting time on new licences at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

They will give you a receipt ....keep that in the car and if your stopped and asked for you licence..just show them the receipt...you should have your licence in a few days anyhow

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would probably photocopy the Learner Permit and cert, just to have.

Technically speaking you are not fully licensed until you have your new license in hand. A gard in a bad mood could prosecute for no L plates driving unaccompanied etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

I took a picture of my license with the cert just in case.
    The receipt will say you'll get your license in 7 days but they told me on Thursday I'll be waiting 4 weeks.

Congrats on passing!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was replacing my full licence and the guy in the motor tax office photocopied my licence for me and gave me a receipt. Everyone is in the same boat though and the Gardaí will probably come across an awful lot of people with no licence because of the waiting time so all you can do it keep a photocopy of your licence and receipt with you at all times.

Advertisement