Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I work with a woman who uses her alleged depression as an excuse to get out of doing any major work and to take loads of sick days (funnily enough, when anyone suggests a night out, she perks up and is always first there and last out) and whenever she wants out of a tricky work project she will act all bothered and tearful and make up a big story about how her boss is against her/hassling her etc and how insensitive they are. So some people do act it up and use it to their advantage, its bloody infurating when she does this and whats even worse, some people there lap up her daily poor me stories and listen to her with open ears :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So are you using this woman as a barometer for how other people suffer from depression? You've surmised that this woman is a chancer and from this observation you've extrapolated that everyone suffering from depression is pulling our legs? I'm not really sure of the point of the story.

token101 wrote: »
    I detest the ****ing morons who have the idea that the Irish who wear GAA jerseys abroad, particularly Australia, are somehow stupid, less informed or less adjusted than the intellectuals who wear Rip Curl or Quicksilver. It's almost like we should be ashamed of it the way some people talk! You'd wear it at home, so why wouldn't you wear it abroad? Also, I got my jersey for free and I'll wear it until it disintegrates from the sweat before I'll spend hundreds of euros on looking like Home and Away cast member just to appease the worldly Irish.

Do intellectuals wear Quicksilver? Bully for that you love your GAA jersey but I think you look like a spa. Truth is I hate most jerseys though. I cannot fathom why you spend outrageous money on a jersey of your favourite team and then seem wear nothing else for the year. Or those GAA hoodies from your local parish team. Terrible yokes altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

krudler wrote: »
    Childless people should get a reward for it, not a yearly thing, but a once off "hey thanks for not burdening the state further by having sprogs" payment.

Payable when? After the menopause? Castration?:D
    MJ23 wrote: »
    I can't stand Brendan Grace. He's been telling the same stupid jokes for the last 30 years. I don't know how he gets away with it.
    He was good in Fr. Ted though.

I agree and i disagree - yes he's shít, no he wasn't any good in father ted. In fact that was probably the least funny father ted episode ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So are you using this woman as a barometer for how other people suffer from depression? You've surmised that this woman is a chancer and from this observation you've extrapolated that everyone suffering from depression is pulling our legs? I'm not really sure of the point of the story.

This one time a colleague rang in sick to work with food poisoning. I heard later THEY WEREN'T EVEN SICK.
    So now clearly nobody in the world ever gets food poisoning or even gets sick and anyone who does it is looking for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ShaneM 90

I don't like horses. Actually I hate horses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

ShaneM 90 wrote: »
    I don't like horses. Actually I hate horses

Dangerous at both ends and tricky in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Shryke wrote: »

I scrolled down too quick, missed a post and thought you were referring to the food poisioning:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Its not a car "accident" if the fella was driving 100mph on a narrow twisty country road. It's dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm not a drug taker but I can understand why people take do take recreational drugs. They wanna get that high or buzz or whatever the mind altering stuff does to ya.

I'm not a smoker but I cannot for the life of me figure out why people in this day and age would willingly smoke. I automatically respect someone a little less when I see them sparking up. Just find it idiotic in the 21st Century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Seems unpopular according to all the fogies at work, but I reckon Psys Gangnam style is savage. Oop Oop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Pottler wrote: »
    Seems unpopular according to all the fogies at work, but I reckon Psys Gangnam style is savage. Oop Oop.

Whilst Gangnam Style wouldnt be my thing. I have to admit its got a catchy beat. Not to mention that dance number is being talked about so much.

Sure the music video on youtube has reached over 339 millions views since the 15th of July :eek: Countless number 1's throughout the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Do intellectuals wear Quicksilver? Bully for that you love your GAA jersey but I think you look like a spa. Truth is I hate most jerseys though. I cannot fathom why you spend outrageous money on a jersey of your favourite team and then seem wear nothing else for the year. Or those GAA hoodies from your local parish team. Terrible yokes altogether.

You think someone is a spa based on the fact they are wearing a jersey? Very clever.

You think someone is a spa based on the fact they are wearing a jersey? Very clever.

I said you look like a spa not that you are a spa and I'm not saying it to be clever, it's just the way I feel. There is something disheartening about seeing a GAA jersey abroad. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's that whole parochialistic attire being at odds with the notion of travel broadening the mind. But tbf, like I said, I hate all jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭paikea

Shryke wrote: »

Dangerous business reading while scrolling... I ready tickly instead of tricky...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭paikea

I would say it is unpopular to call it unpopular :) This is the shít!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPP5Bvtr2Dg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

My unpopular opinion is that people who make statements like "Depression is in the head; it's people feeling sorry for themselves; they shouldn't be taking meds" etc, not due to any scientific research - or any research at all really, just simply because of a "feeling" they have (due to igorance/prejudice/arrogance/lack of compassion/being thick) will hopefully get a blast of depression for a couple of months in order to shut their rotten mouths up.

Maybe there is a handful of people who fake it - I don't know any such person though. If anything, those I know who have it would keep quiet about it: due to attitudes like the above.
    I know one girl who is a whiner and a drama queen - and it is easy to understand why people would think she was faking her depression (I thought she was exaggerating it too, tbh) but no, she had it bad (she told me the full situation and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy). Her lack of coping skills were a disaster for it all right - that's for sure - but that doesn't take away from the fact that she had it, and thankfully there was counselling, medication and a lot of decent, understanding people for her to help her get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I think Ireland is run / controlled by 3 main CORRUPTING entities: the GAA, RTE and Fianna Fail.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I think Ireland is run / controlled by 3 main CORRUPTING entities: the GAA, RTE and Fianna Fail.

Explain please, especially the parts about the now out of power and deeply unpopular political party and the national broadcaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I think beer snobs are f ucking idiots. Fair enough if you don't like beer like Stella or Fosters, but don't look down on people who do you clown.

I don't look down on them, I merely wish to spread the good word :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think it's so funny! I love everything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I detest the ****ing morons who have the idea that the Irish who wear GAA jerseys abroad, particularly Australia, are somehow stupid, less informed or less adjusted than the intellectuals who wear Rip Curl or Quicksilver. It's almost like we should be ashamed of it the way some people talk! You'd wear it at home, so why wouldn't you wear it abroad? Also, I got my jersey for free and I'll wear it until it disintegrates from the sweat before I'll spend hundreds of euros on looking like Home and Away cast member just to appease the worldly Irish.
    It looks terrible though. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I hate the people who wear jerseys full stop. Why would you pay through the nose for a rotten t-shirt?
    It screams unoriginality and needing to belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I like flat coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I hate the people who wear jerseys full stop. Why would you pay through the nose for a rotten t-shirt?
    Big matches when you're there at the game, fine.

Everywhere else, and especially wearing it casually, feck no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

1ZRed wrote: »

Agreed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

^^^^^
    snobby cúnts! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

1ZRed wrote: »

May as well wear it the odd time when you paid for it. I mean sure in that case you might only be wearing the jersey during the summer months. If you're from the likes of Leitrim you might wear it a handful of times during your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Could have been said before but I think spoof movies are some of the best movies ever made.
    Naked Gun trilogy, Austin Powers trilogy Airoplane and the Scary Movie's are my favourites, but I love Date Movie, Disaster Movie and Not Another Teen Movie. It just shows to not take everything too seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The recent Scary Movie etc franchises - unpopular to say they're brilliant I'd say, but I'd think the other movies are universally loved, especially the Nielsen ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I said you look like a spa not that you are a spa and I'm not saying it to be clever, it's just the way I feel. There is something disheartening about seeing a GAA jersey abroad. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's that whole parochialistic attire being at odds with the notion of travel broadening the mind. But tbf, like I said, I hate all jerseys.

Of course seeing someone in Rip Curl or any of the other brands made by 10 year olds in a sweatshop is enlightening and makes for a worthwhile travel experience does it? Right.

You hating someone because of something they wear says more about you than them. You pay no more for a jersey than you would for any other branded product. As for this needing to belong? Well it's hardly restricted to people wearing jerseys is it? If it was the fashion industry wouldn't exist and everyone would just shop in Pennys for the cheapest possible thing. Unoriginality? Well I haven't seen anyone wear anything 'original' ever, other than Lady Gaga, who's doing it for publicity and attention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement