Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swan Leisure Rathmines - unwelcoming

Options
  • 08-06-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭

Swan Leisure Rathmines is near me and I was thinking of joining. I went in a few times and was fobbed off with a timetable and brochure. I looked at the brochure and even though most evening fitness classes included in the membership are spinning decided to check it out again.

I went up there and asked to be shown around. The person who showed me around didn't seem very enthusiastic and didn't seem to be very knowledgeable about fitness. The gym area was jammers and smelt strongly of chlorine from the pool next door it it. It was also jammers but the person showing me around assured me that this was very unusual.

After seeing the downstairs (pool and gym area) I had to ask to be shown the studios upstairs. The upstairs facilities seemed ok and the gym was clean.

I have viewed other gyms and was always made welcome. The staff were always encouraging and seemed to know their stuff. Not so in Rathmines - they didn't seem to give a hoot. Or maybe the reception staff don't have any fitness training or interest in fitness. Has anybody any opinions about Swan Fitness in Rathmines? I found it really unwelcoming. Maybe they have enough members already and are actively discouraging anybody else who might want to join.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Hey op,

I go there a lot and find the staff really sound. Even the cleaners say hi at this stage and the reception girls remember my name. Maybe you went there just as there was a queue of people signing in for a class or something. When it gets busy, you can see they are under pressure which is understandable.

As for the tour, I didn't bother getting one so can't comment. I would imagine they should have really gotten one of the gym staff so show you tho. Other than that, for the price you pay-ie. Cheap in comparison to other gyms, it's just about right. The gym staff are very approachable, the girls in particular, and have offered their advice to me without being asked which I always appreciate.

If I was you, I'd go for it. Even try the pay as you go until you decide. At the end of the day, it's you who has to put the work in so no matter how well equipped or busy a gym gets, there needs to be the drive in yourself that keeps going and ignoring any potential excuses!

Hope that helps. Try it out at a less busy time.
    Good luck and enjoy it. !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Doolee wrote: »
    Hey op,

I go there a lot and find the staff really sound. Even the cleaners say hi at this stage and the reception girls remember my name. Maybe you went there just as there was a queue of people signing in for a class or something. When it gets busy, you can see they are under pressure which is understandable.

As for the tour, I didn't bother getting one so can't comment. I would imagine they should have really gotten one of the gym staff so show you tho. Other than that, for the price you pay-ie. Cheap in comparison to other gyms, it's just about right. The gym staff are very approachable, the girls in particular, and have offered their advice to me without being asked which I always appreciate.

If I was you, I'd go for it. Even try the pay as you go until you decide. At the end of the day, it's you who has to put the work in so no matter how well equipped or busy a gym gets, there needs to be the drive in yourself that keeps going and ignoring any potential excuses!

Hope that helps. Try it out at a less busy time.
    Good luck and enjoy it. !

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't go anytime outside normal fulltime working hours. There wasn't a queue at the desk when I went (last week) so I can't understand the attitude. Maybe they don't show people around normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Emme wrote: »
    . Or maybe the reception staff don't have any fitness training or interest in fitness

I would say the reception staff in all commercial gyms and no real fitness training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Op- the issue is that swan is a public centre paid for by our tax euro's. It makes no difference if nobody joins, staff will still be paid and centre will remain open. It's a disgrace that these centres are allowed compete with private business.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Op- the issue is that swan is a public centre paid for by our tax euro's. It makes no difference if nobody joins, staff will still be paid and centre will remain open. It's a disgrace that these centres are allowed compete with private business.

I agree in some ways. But in reality, these types of gyms are aimed at the general public, and at schools. Its firstly a swimming pool, and secondly a gym.
    I think its good in a way to have these gyms for this type of person and to leave the amazing gyms like Raw and other specifically designed gyms to those who have other aims and goals...if you know what I mean.

I think Swan would suit the op, and I guess I'm just trying to advise her to forget about judging a gym on the tour or whatever, but to just get in there, do your best at your workout and get out. Rinse and repeat! If you are unsure about how to use any of the equipment or want to know more, approach the person at the desk in the gym itself and they will help for sure.

There always seems to be a little bit of "opinion" about how little this or that fitness instructor knows in this and that gym but either way, they probably know more than a beginner. They probably went and did a course which may or may not be approved by whoever but they still know more than a beginner. And, you dont have to listen to them if you dont want to.

So OP, each to their own I guess, but just dont let it get in the way of your fitness goals! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 greengrocer

That's a moronic attitude. Of all the things that our 'tax euros' pay for, the provision of public sports facilities is not a bad one! To argue that sports centres should be solely a private sector pursuit is disgraceful IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Actually the Swan is run by an independent non-profit rather than directly by DCC. Having been a member of several independent commercial gyms both in Dublin and abroad I am now a member of Swan, and it's one of the best run friendliest gyms I've encountered. It's kept very clean. The equipment is checked regularly; staff individually check all of the cardio equipment so that treadmill belts slipping etc. are noticed something that never happened at my former Dublin gym. And staff are very friendly, I'm greeted by name regularly not only by the person with whom I had my initial assessment but also by other members of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

SBWife wrote: »
    Actually the Swan is run by an independent non-profit rather than directly by DCC.

Mmm ok.
    Swan Leisure is a trading name of Dublin City Sport and Leisure Services Ltd. –Directors: Michael Donnelly, Cllr Vincent Jackson, Cllr Gerry Breen, Paul Clegg, Jim Beggan & Coilín O’Reilly. Company Registered No. 483948.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 greengrocer

Zamboni wrote: »
    Mmm ok.

I'm struggling to see your point Zamboni. Care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I'm struggling to see your point Zamboni. Care to elaborate?

Surely you can read and comprehend that post :confused:?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 kiferea

RE: Swan Leisure review:

Pool is overcrowded, changing rooms downstairs are locked for "school only use" , changing rooms upstairs have a freezer like temperature, classes are nice but they are trying to fit 24 people in a small room so once you are putting your arm/leg to the side you are hitting/kicking someone or someone kicks you, management is not responding to your emails, long waiting/ que at reception area, fitness instructors at the personal sessions disappear in the middle of the session saying " I will come back in a few minutes " and never do. The only good things are : it is cheap +variety of classes , also recently the group classes instructors are very good/friendly, but the rooms are still way too overcrowded

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublinjoe

Yeah here's what I don't understand about the Swan Leisure Centre... first of all, why do Dublin residents/taxpayers have to pay in at all? This is what property taxes should pay for. Second, why is the "corporate" membership cheaper than the full adult? Is that because this place is symbolic of Ireland as a whole - in which corporations pay less than people?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dublinjoe wrote: »
    Yeah here's what I don't understand about the Swan Leisure Centre... first of all, why do Dublin residents/taxpayers have to pay in at all? This is what property taxes should pay for. Second, why is the "corporate" membership cheaper than the full adult? Is that because this place is symbolic of Ireland as a whole - in which corporations pay less than people?

A corporate membership is cheaper because they want to attract a bunch of people from a workplace. It's nothing to do with corporations.

It's the same way that other companies offer services to the employees of companies, i.e. to get more members on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

OP: if you can live without a pool. Yourfitness at the other end of leinster road is a great gym

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

I was delighted a few years ago when I heard that there was going to be a new pool in Rathmines. That was short lived when the pool was open for business.

From the beginning there was a lot of messing around with the length of the pool. I want to swim in a 25m pool. Apparently it was 'stuck' on the shorter length. So we were like sardines in a tin. A few strokes & it's time to turn. Pointless & not very productive. I had to ring before I went for a swim from then on as I didn't want to pay for half a congested pool. The open shower area is not a good idea in reality either. I don't want to see a man with his hand down his trunks washing himself.

The other issue I have with the pool that put me off was the lack of 'lane etiquette'. A complete clown swam in to my head as the lifeguard looked on. The person had no business being in a lane as he was not capable of swimming on one side & keeping up the pace in the lane. Arms & legs a kimbo & going at 0mph with no consideration for anyone else. They are in every pool.
    To me it is the equivalent of some fool getting on the same treadmill as you & strolling as you are mid run.

I got walloped by people who are unaware that you can bend your elbow while doing front crawl, I have been scraped the length of my body & kicked by people doing breast stroke. People have jumped in on me while turning at the wall & proceeded to 'swim' as a snails pace directly in front of me.

I give way to people who are faster than me. And expect the same from others.

All pool users are familiar with one or all of the above situations. Unfortunately it makes me angry & undoes the benefits of the swim.

I paid up for the Carlisle gym but these pool clowns are everywhere. (All of the above has happened to me there too.) At least in the Carlisle you may get lucky & have the lane to yourself every now & then. That said, the pool is NOT clean. (Swim hats are not compulsory & that probably doesn't help) It's badly lit (the whole gym is a depressing dim cavern) & the water temp seems a few degrees colder than other pools. Probably BD trying to save money...

If the Swan pool was managed better I would return. Pools that are filled with natural light are lovely to swim in. It's a pity it's a risky business to try & swim there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I joined about a year ago but have only really started to use it in the past six months. I go to 5-10 classes a week and also use the pool a good bit. So here's a few thoughts.

The pool definitely has a few issues. I try to go in off-peak hours as much as possible, but I went in at 6.30pm a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty stressful. There were eight or more people trying to swim in the Medium lane and it just didn't work. At one stage the guy beside me described it as being like "trying to drive down O'Connell Street with blind drivers crashing into you". It's absolutely gorgeous once there aren't too many people there, but it's frustrating to go along and find most of the lanes blocked off for swimming lessons and everyone funnelled into just two or three lanes.

Aside from the pool though, it's a great place and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. The gym is grand - lots of equipment, kept in good condition, and generally no queues - and I love the classes. There's loads of 'em and the instructors are generally excellent. Actually I've always found all of the staff brilliant - they've gone out of their way to be helpful and they all know their stuff. Another commenter mentioned the small room for classes: yeah, the one on the ground floor isn't great, but instructors have started kicking people out who haven't signed up for classes so that there aren't too many. Plus they make good use of the space: I've done pretty much every class going and have never actually had an issue with it feeling cramped. And the sports hall seems to be used more for classes now (particularly TRX, kettlebells, pump and tone, etc).

Personal favourite classes: Circuits, TRX, spinning (probably the only class where some instructors are noticeably better than others), POWOW (probably the toughest class there) and total body conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

i bring my kids swimming to another public centre on a weekly basis. It's resonable and they learn to swim. The gym there is decent and allows people who mightnt afford a pricey gym look after their health.
    This in itself is benefical to society and well worth the tax money put into it.

Your attitude is really thick because a family membership at places like Energie are excessive and many kids wouldn't get a crack at learning to swim or messing about in a pool. Certainly on one income I couldn't be paying it.

The rates are not that much cheaperthan flyefit so they compete with private business quite alright albeit they have a nice pool so they a little cheaper.

It's not often a post really annoys me.
    well done, i guess.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

i bring my kids swimming to another public centre on a weekly basis. It's resonable and they learn to swim. The gym there is decent and allows people who mightnt afford a pricey gym look after their health.
    This in itself is benefical to society and well worth the tax money put into it.

Your attitude is really thick because a family membership at places like Energie are excessive and many kids wouldn't get a crack at learning to swim or messing about in a pool. Certainly on one income I couldn't be paying it.

The rates are not that much cheaperthan flyefit so they compete with private business quite alright albeit they have a nice pool so they a little cheaper.

It's not often a post really annoys me.
    well done, i guess.:(

My attitude is thick? You clearly cannot understand my point.

Here's an example to assist you;

Say you are running a hair dressers and the government opened a hairdressers down the road charging less, but paying its staff more, would you be happy? Would it be fair on you, the private business? Everyone needs their hair cut. What if I cannot afford to go to a private hairdresser?
    The answer is quite clearly, NO.

I had/have no problem with public pools. I welcome them and think they are a great assett to a community. However, these leisure centres are now competing for gym business, yoga business, boot camp business etc.

There are a lot of people on this forum who own and run private business. I would be shocked if none of them had been affected negatively by a government funded and run leisure centre.

Also, they are not much cheaper than a lot of private businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

If you look at where the community gyms are based they are in places that would be traditionally lower down the soci-economic scale - I haven't seen jackie skelly, energie , total fitness or the like busting their gut to set up in these areas.
    So they do serve a purpose - the community gym for people who mightnt be able to afford a branded gym.

If these gyms are stealing business from private enterprise the private enterprise needs to set up a something different or a niche product.

For example - that's how a chipper can survive in the vacinity of a mcDonalds (I know it's private) because they offer a varied product.

If you want a real public/private battle - private bus operators travel similiar routes to Dublin Bus and they have a bottom line to adhere too.
    Shall we ban Dublin Bus and then we'll have no routes from less popular areas killing the community purpose of a bus service. Not everything needs (or should) be profit driven.

throughout society we see many examples of state intervention sitting side my side with private enterprise.
    A different exmaple is I bought my house with mortgage while some in my area are on social housing and pay f- all. I don't likeit but I see social housing as serving a purpose.

I doubt real yoga or bootcamps are impacted hugely by any gym esp if they are pay as you go and offer something not available in gym - the ability to go without gym membership and I've yet to see a gym offer "real" yoga without an additional charge.
    Certainly boxing / MMA gyms seem to thrive in the locale of community gyms no problem.

anyway - What happens if you can't afford a haircut....
    There is always DIY or the barber school i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Say you are running a hair dressers and the government opened a hairdressers down the road charging less, but paying its staff more, would you be happy? Would it be fair on you, the private business? Everyone needs their hair cut. What if I cannot afford to go to a private hairdresser?
    The answer is quite clearly, NO.

Would I be happy? Definitely not. However, thankfully the government doesn't always take such obvious vested interests into account.

I also think its deliberetly obtuse to compare a hairdresser to a public gym when the latter clearly helps with obvious countrywide health issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just reading through this thread which is a couple of years old now and was wondering if anyone is using the Swan Leisure pool at the moment and would they recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

monkey9 wrote: »
    Just reading through this thread which is a couple of years old now and was wondering if anyone is using the Swan Leisure pool at the moment and would they recommend it?

Have brought the little one there and no issue with it.

Advertisement