Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind noise in vents

Options
  • 30-12-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've looked through some previous threads on this but have not found a solution. The vents in my house are non mechanical. I think they are about 6 to 9 inches in diameter more than like plastic pipe. The noise is very loud and howling even in moderate winds. It also makes the house colder. On frosty days the heat will warm the house and it stays warm but when its windy I find it cool especially in the front room where I have a pot belly stove weather it is alight or not.

I know not to block up the vents but I taped up the one my room and I leave the door open because in bad weather its just too noisy.

I could spend a few Euro on trying to fix it but funds are low.

Paul.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

Alot of people have the notion that if you block the vents you will suffocate.If you block ALL the vents and have a faulty indoor heating system,then there is a risk to your health.My solution is to block the vents in your bedroom and your sitting room but leave bathroom and kitchen and any other less used room vents open.This is plenty of ventilation for you,every time you open your front or back door you ventilate.The best way to block vents is to take off the grill cover,sometimes from the out side and fill with attic insulation or if you want a quick cheap job that works,use a towel or old jumper.I find it CRAZY with all the focus on insulating and heat loss that we are required to leave a 4 INCH hole in the wall of every room in our houses.Blocking the vents will cause condensation on your windows but when the weather gets better,it is easy to unblock your vents

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

i wouldnt recomend blocking up your vents especially in a room with a stove.
    you can easily fit covers on the inside which you can open and close .
    you just need to drill a few holes and fit them and you can open and close them when needed and theyre not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

mossfort wrote: »
    i wouldnt recomend blocking up your vents especially in a room with a stove.
    you can easily fit covers on the inside which you can open and close .
    you just need to drill a few holes and fit them and you can open and close them when needed and theyre not expensive.
    Yes, and even in the closed position they let a lot of air in....:D

Melanoma wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've looked through some previous threads on this but have not found a solution. The vents in my house are non mechanical. I think they are about 6 to 9 inches in diameter more than like plastic pipe. The noise is very loud and howling even in moderate winds. It also makes the house colder. On frosty days the heat will warm the house and it stays warm but when its windy I find it cool especially in the front room where I have a pot belly stove weather it is alight or not.

I know not to block up the vents but I taped up the one my room and I leave the door open because in bad weather its just too noisy.

Paul.

That's huge, are you sure?

gillad wrote: »
    Alot of people have the notion that if you block the vents you will suffocate.If you block ALL the vents and have a faulty indoor heating system,then there is a risk to your health.My solution is to block the vents in your bedroom and your sitting room but leave bathroom and kitchen and any other less used room vents open.This is plenty of ventilation for you,every time you open your front or back door you ventilate.The best way to block vents is to take off the grill cover,sometimes from the out side and fill with attic insulation or if you want a quick cheap job that works,use a towel or old jumper.I find it CRAZY with all the focus on insulating and heat loss that we are required to leave a 4 INCH hole in the wall of every room in our houses.Blocking the vents will cause condensation on your windows but when the weather gets better,it is easy to unblock your vents

People are dead from doing just that, there is a very important difference in ventilation for a house and permanent ventilation for a heating/gas appliance, blocking the second is dangerous, especially as the ventilation is more important in cold weather as the appliance is on longer, the permanent vents are sized to match the appliances requirements for safe operation, taking air for combustion from a kitchen or bathroom isn't going to fly as they tend to have extractors fitted and doors closed, Gary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

That's huge, are you sure?
    Dont forget that Homebond used to recommend the use of a 225mm dia vent :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Melanoma wrote: »
    Hi folks,

The reason your house gets so cold on windy days is because the house like about 2 million other houses in Ireland is not built to an airtight standard. It is only in the last two years that we are required to achieve a certain level of airtightness and most people are now installing HRV systems which are all but mandatory at this stage. However this is not really an option in your case as retro fitting a HRV system would be a huge undertaking. DO NOT block any of your vents. Get some decent plastic covers for the internal part of the vent. If you want to spend a little more money you can buy mechanically controlled passive vents that dont need wiring and can be installed in the existing vent holes

muffler wrote: »
    Dont forget that Homebond used to recommend the use of a 225mm dia vent :eek:

Yes but I've never actually seen them used.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

I have filled them up with expanding foam exept bathrooms and toilets
    at night time i open the bedroom windows on the vent setting
    I hate the cold and any draft
    Cant find any dampness in the house eighter after closing them

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

I don't have the plastic vents in the windows. Was a bit clueless about that when I got the builder to do it. I have plastic covers but they let in a lot of air anyway and don't stop the noise.

I think I need a simple honeycomb insert which would allow for diffusion of air but not be as affected by the wind.

Think that in the rooms nobody is in it might be ok to block them up and open windows when possible, but I'm not going to do that. There must be a solution out there.

I don't know if I should post stuff I found on the internet. I recently found a device which covers the outside vent from direct exposure to wind, it is open at the bottom which sticks out a bit.

Let me know if I can post the picture on. It includes the companies website address though.

Thanks for everyone's feedback I appreciate it alot. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭riccol1966

I'm glad someone has raised this issue, been bugging me for years, our house was built in 2001, in a windy exposd location. in almost every room we have large passive air vents. It's very annoying, I cannot figure out how some "legistlation" dictates that this is the correct way to control our ventilation. Its a disgrace and this kind of limp passive ventiation should never have been allowed in houses. Here I am trying to be energy efficient and I have no control over all these HOLES in my walls.

The most annoying thing is that there is absolutely nothing available on the market that is an airtight vent cover. I want the ability to control the air coming into the room. I've had to block up 2 bathroom vents because of the volume of wind coming in. Both bathrooms already have extractor fans, and that means there is already air filtration anyway, even when the fan is off.

The closest I have found is magnetic air vent covers, which appear to be popular in the USA, you simply stick the cover over the vent, assuming its not made of cheap aluminium, and if the vent is flat you would get quite a good air tightness. Availibility in Ireland: not a chance. And as one of the other posters mentioned above, none of the other closable vent covers actually stop wind coming though, even in the closed positions.

I'm seriously thinking about blocking them all; otherwise I might as well just throw EUR5 out of the window each winter day, that's probably what it ends up costing in additional heating!

Anyone got any real practical solutions, I'm all ears...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Melanoma, did you find any solution to this? I am having a problem with noise through my air vents, really annoying. Can you post up those links please? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Seen these on boards sometime ago, meant to order a couple but never got around to it...Fresh Air Vent

I think you can twist these open/shut also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

thanks for link mad m, it doesnt say on the site about blocking noise, but i see on this site (http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=764224) that you can close the fresh air vent thus stopping noise when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

tw0nk wrote: »
    thanks for link mad m, it doesnt say on the site about blocking noise, but i see on this site (http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=764224) that you can close the fresh air vent thus stopping noise when needed

Ha! thats where I seen it....Thought it was longer than last year...

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

new build going on right now.

vents in walls, no
    vents in windows, no

plan on using the vent option (using the second lock on the windows) yes.

you see, i believe on whats the point in pointing wholes in the wall for 1 year later your on boards asking how to fill them in.

vents on windows, well, whats the difference, vent on a window? its a window, open it for god sake. . . . so thats my Idea,. . .

like everyone here i want control, and no better way than using your windows that you have, the second lock idea is great and I use them all the time in the house i have now. . ..

I personally think we heat our homes to much these days, so poeple what short and T-Shirt heat, long from it i was raised. but thats for another thread.

vents in walls, no
    vents in windows, no

you see, i believe on whats the point in pointing wholes in the wall for 1 year later your on boards asking how to fill them in.

vents on windows, well, whats the difference, vent on a window? its a window, open it for god sake. . . . so thats my Idea,. . .

like everyone here i want control, and no better way than using your windows that you have, the second lock idea is great and I use them all the time in the house i have now. . ..

I personally think we heat our homes to much these days, so poeple what short and T-Shirt heat, long from it i was raised. but thats for another thread.
    Is your supervising architect/engineer going to sign off on this?

You do understand that you are in breach of the building regulations?

vents in walls, no
    vents in windows, no

This is not compliant with the Building Regulations and dangerous in any room with an open fire place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

no open fires in the house.

is it not more dangerous to have vents and seal them up for good than have ones and use them on a daily basis. .

we are talking ventilation, and its not that i disagree with having it, I agree its a must.. . wouldnt live without it. . but i disagree with how its vented to the house. . . . i even know some houses that have no vents in windows, but sealed up the wall vents because of drafts. . . . . .ie no vent at all. .

i know these are regs, but do you not think the process of which air vents into the house needs to be re-examined. how many blocked up air vents are in ireland? . .

please note, that I feel very strongly about venting the house. . . .
    and do not advise anyone to completely shut the house off to vents. . .

is it not more dangerous to have vents and seal them up for good than have ones and use them on a daily basis. .

we are talking ventilation, and its not that i disagree with having it, I agree its a must.. . wouldnt live without it. . but i disagree with how its vented to the house. . . . i even know some houses that have no vents in windows, but sealed up the wall vents because of drafts. . . . . .ie no vent at all. .

i know these are regs, but do you not think the process of which air vents into the house needs to be re-examined. how many blocked up air vents are in ireland? . .

Strangely enough I agree with your sentiments to a point. God be with the days when we had to put a blanket to the bottom of the door to keep the draught out - Personally I think people were healthier then but I do stress the point that its my personal opinion only.

In saying all that there is a legal onus on all of us to ensure compliance with the regs. We may not like it or agree with it but for the time being we are stuck with it.

• Advertisement

If you want a completely controlable system, rather than a hole in the window or wall why not try
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055878601
    an MHRV system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

why dont you just vent say the main landning area of the house from a pipe to attic, i saw this system mentioned here bfore, at least ur circulating air.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tred wrote: »
    why dont you just vent say the main landning area of the house from a pipe to attic, i saw this system mentioned here bfore, at least ur circulating air.

this system also needs to comply with regulations... its referred to as a passive stack ventilation system.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

You dont wanna know i ve seen the last 3 years in new build houses
    Almost all of the wall vents filled with expanding foam
    The same in the house im renting now
    All filled excluded the bathrooms and those are the only ones with damp and mold problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Bringing up a ghost thread here, but I'm having similar problems to the OP.

Upstairs Bathroom in particular has a vent and the cold Air coming through it is shocking. The bathroom does be extremely cold, despite having a radiator and a heated Towel rack. This in turn is making the rest of upstairs cold, I have option only to keep the bathroom door closed because of this.

But then the bathroom is baltic when having a shower or bath.

Could I block the vent in the bathroom and open the window when needed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

Bringing up a ghost thread here, but I'm having similar problems to the OP.

Upstairs Bathroom in particular has a vent and the cold Air coming through it is shocking. The bathroom does be extremely cold, despite having a radiator and a heated Towel rack. This in turn is making the rest of upstairs cold, I have option only to keep the bathroom door closed because of this.

But then the bathroom is baltic when having a shower or bath.

Could I block the vent in the bathroom and open the window when needed?

You could install an inline extractor fan they are not that expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

Sorry for resurrecting old thread, but I just bought a new-build house and having the same issue...

All isolated, double glassed, gas heating. No recovery system so literally a vent (hole in a wall...) in EVERY room. Not only brings noise but literally just blowing cold...

Now I bought two carbon monoxide detectors and placed one in the kitchen (where boiler is) and one in living room (gas fireplace). I blocked vents in bathrooms (they have separate extractor fans which I left alone) and living room because with 12*C outside I am already forced to turn on heating just to comfortably watch tv...

Only blocked them by placing cardboard between a hole and vent cover. Waiting to see if I get any humidity problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

You really shouldn't block the vent for the gas fire.its dangerous. What if co alarm was faulty or past its date and the o2 cell dried out.then it wont work.better safe than sorry. When co kills people its nearly always something simple. Its a pain when the wind comes into a vent.maybe move vent is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

crock! wrote: »
    You really shouldn't block the vent for the gas fire.its dangerous. What if co alarm was faulty or past its date and the o2 cell dried out.then it wont work.better safe than sorry. When co kills people its nearly always something simple. Its a pain when the wind comes into a vent.maybe move vent is an option.

Agree do not block in room with a fire. In bathroom if you have extractors then they are not required.

I blocked one by putting over sellotape in a bedroom. You get a lot of condensation as it is still the coldest point in the room. Therefore wet therefore came loose.

you produced a litre of water from your breath at night per person and it goes on windows or the vent.

CArbon monoxide kills children every year. Dont mess with it, alarms are for unforseen problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

Quote from http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/About_Carbon_Monoxide/ :
    On average between 1 and 2 people die each year in Ireland from unintentional CO poisoning in the home in incidents related to domestic heating or other fossil fuel installations in the home - See more at: http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/About_Carbon_Monoxide/#sthash.kl5oGEau.dpuf

How many is blocking vents? tens of thousands?

All the cost of insulation is going out the window since I've got literally holes in my walls... ALso, wouldn't I be significantly less exposed to possible carbon monoxide poisoning if, well, my house was warm and I didn't actually need to burn that much gas in the first place?

Advertisement