Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Horizon Launched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

beauf wrote: »

They should bury these delete "all recording" in another menu.

That's not on my box any more.
    To delete everything, I have to do it one by one or series by series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Its there, Its just in the advanced settings menu or something like that.

• Have they removed the option to change what channel the wifi is being broadcast on using the remote? Can this only be done via a PC now?

And has anyone ever figured out how to get the wifi signal to stop dropping? It's done it 4 times on me tonight, usually in the middle of youtube videos. I brought this up in the "talk to...." forum but there's only so many times i can respond to "can you pm us your details......okay, we've changed your settings, see if it happens again"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Have they removed the option to change what channel the wifi is being broadcast on using the remote? Can this only be done via a PC now?

And has anyone ever figured out how to get the wifi signal to stop dropping? It's done it 4 times on me tonight, usually in the middle of youtube videos. I brought this up in the "talk to...." forum but there's only so many times i can respond to "can you pm us your details......okay, we've changed your settings, see if it happens again"
    That used to happen to me, funny I got the UPC reps to look at it and it hasnt really happened in any appreciable way since

• @ should i have to put up this crap".

I've read online that the only way to get this rectified* is to get a separate router, which costs money, obviously :rolleyes: Has anyone convinced them to send one out free of charge?

*I did find this post, though, so i've tried the fix suggested. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Have they removed the option to change what channel the wifi is being broadcast on using the remote? Can this only be done via a PC now?

There are programmes you can get for your Mac/PC which will show you all the networks in range, which channel they're on, and their strength. That'll at least show you if there's a problem with contention on the channels or if the signal from the Horizon box is weak.

Ideally you could use the 5GHz band as that's relatively unused, but for some reason it's disabled on the Horizon interface. The lack of external antennae means it probably wouldn't be as good as a 3rd party router anyway.

It's a pain, but I long ago decided to pony up for a new router, now getting up to 150Mbps over Wifi and no drops (that I've noticed). Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Horizon newbie hoping someone can help. I can't figure out how to stream a full album from my devices, when I select the album it goes straight into track listing, when I select a track it will play that and only that song, it doesn't move to the next. Surely I'm missing something as it should be relatively simple to play an album start to finish?

I'

Turn ON media scanning ( its in the setup network section of settings).

In My Library find the album in My Music instead of my devices and you can play the whole album.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Will UPC really not issue 2 horizon boxes to one household?. Only one acting as a router of course.

one box per account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Turn ON media scanning ( its in the setup network section of settings).

In My Library find the album in My Music instead of my devices and you can play the whole album.

I would advise not to do that if you have a large Music/Video library on your PC with over 1000 files this can result in the Horizon Box to freeze

They warn you about this in the user manual

Horizon’s DLNA functionality is currently limited. If
    you possess a large number of photos, videos or audio
    content, the box may freeze or respond very slowly.

We recommend you use a LAN cable to connect Horizon to
    your home network or else use fewer than 1,000 files.
    If your box exhibits problems despite that, we recommend
    restoring Horizon’s factory settings and forgoing
    use of the media playback function from the home
    network for the time being.

We are working with our technology partners to extend
    the number of compatible formats and improve the
    cataloguing of media content from the home network.

Unless they have fixed this limitation with a firmware update I would just use my devices instead to read files from your DNLA connected device on your network as this way it does not cause the box to freeze and you can still stream your music and videos

I have not tested the box to see if this has been fixed with a firmware update as I have over 10,000 files

Just to let you know
    Horizon Wireless 5GHz is active on the Horizon Box

Its now Dual Wireless
    2.4GHz and 5GHz

Great Update
    You can use both Wireless same time

I tested 5GHz on my iPhone 5s works great

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fermi-paradox

paulboland wrote: »
    Just to let you know

Its now Dual Wireless
    2.4GHz and 5GHz

Great Update

Yes, but,
    did you have WiFree disabled and have you checked the broadcast,
    because I did have it disabled and still do, but since that update it's
    transmitting away like a good thing.
    I raised this with our friendly reps but so far no reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Just to let you know

Its now Dual Wireless
    2.4GHz and 5GHz

Great Update

Hi Paul. How do you activate 5GHz? I'm logged into the UPC WebAPp and can only see 2.4GHz (Radio, Security, Advanced, Access Control and WPS) under the Wireless heading.

Yes, but,
    did you have WiFree disabled and have you checked the broadcast,
    because I did have it disabled and still do, but since that update it's
    transmitting away like a good thing.
    I raised this with our friendly reps but so far no reply!

When you power off/on your router yes I notice the Horizon Wi-Free is there broadcasting for a few seconds about a min max but it then disappears shorty after and has not shown up again
    I have checked this using inSSIDer 3

The Router now has a listing for Horizon Wi-Fi Free to show if its Enabled or Disabled
    Mine is Disabled and apart from initial power off/on the Wi-Fi Free briefly showing it then disappears and its not broadcasting

The Wi-Fi on the 2.4GHz has also been improved I now have both 20/40 bandwidth enabled getting on 2.4Ghz 70Mb to 104Mb using a Wireless N 2.4Ghz Adaptor

iPhone 5S on 5Ghz getting 75Mb to 90Mb in most areas of the house bar a few areas were signal is low but most of the house getting constant good 5GHz speeds

I Don't have a PC or Laptop with 5GHz Wireless Adaptor to test but I expect if I had the speeds would be over 100Mb

Mikey23 wrote: »
    Hi Paul. How do you activate 5GHz? I'm logged into the UPC WebAPp and can only see 2.4GHz (Radio, Security, Advanced, Access Control and WPS) under the Wireless heading.

Its possible your Horizon Box might not been updated yet

Power off your Horizon Box and Power back on after 60 seconds

It might then show the new settings

Then using a web browser enter
    http://192.168.192.1
    Username = admin
    Password = admin

what software version do you see when you login Paul?

what software version do you see when you login Paul?

Software Version 1.15.8
    Hardware Version 7

Community WI-FI SSID Horizon Wi-Free
    Community WI-FI Status Disabled

The Update happened yesterday I noticed the Horizon Box was loosing all broadband for a few min on 2 occasions it was after this I rebooted the Horizon Box the new update to the router was enabled

You might notice Horizon Wi-Fi-Free be broadcasting for a few seconds after a power off/on but it then disappears if you have it disabled with UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

I was in talking to the UPC guy in the new store in the ILAC today about the Horizon box. We got to talking about the wifi issues. He said that although the boxes had problems initially, these had now been resolved. Hmmm. Is this a case of rose coloured spectacles? I have the old Thomson box, so SD and no Horizon Go, but at least the wifi is OK around the house. Is the Horizon box now worthwhile?

Horizon go works if you have any UPC tv package and Broadband with them so you should have it even if you have the older Thompson box. I know because my Mam has the flat silver SD box and broadband and horizon Go works for her on her Samsung tab.

• Advertisement

Software Version 1.15.8
    Hardware Version 7

Community WI-FI SSID Horizon Wi-Free
    Community WI-FI Status Disabled

The Update happened yesterday I noticed the Horizon Box was loosing all broadband for a few min on 2 occasions it was after this I rebooted the Horizon Box the new update to the router was enabled

You might notice Horizon Wi-Fi-Free be broadcasting for a few seconds after a power off/on but it then disappears if you have it disabled with UPC

Just checked that and it looks like I am also on this version and have this option, thanks for the info!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Just checked that and it looks like I am also on this version and have this option, thanks for the info!!!!
    The 5GHz is showing up for me too :D
    Finally, the Horizon is operating like it should have been all along with both bands going.
    In my place there is 10+ Wifi networks detectable on 2.4Ghz and None on 5GHz, such a quieter band

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

Ah 5Ghz goodness

3997538891.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've received the update and 5GHz is enabled but not seeing the new ssid on any of my devices. I was about to reinstall and old wireless router as the 2.4Ghz signal is crap but would like to see if there's any improvement? any help please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't your devices have to be dual band to see it?

Anyone who has played with it have you checked to see Does it allow you to set up two different zones

Don't your devices have to be dual band to see it?

Anyone who has played with it have you checked to see Does it allow you to set up two different zones

Horizon its a Dual Setup both separate and both can be used same time
    Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz transmit same time
    2.4GHz Wireless
    5.0GHz Wireless

Note
    You will need a device that has 5GHz Wireless to avail of this
    iPhone 5/iPhone 5s/iPhone 6 have wireless 5GHz
    Your PC/Laptop will need a Wireless Adaptor or Wireless Card that's Dual Band 2.4 GHz/5GHz to use the 5GHz

The 5GHz SSID is the default SSID on the back of your Horizon Box its also listed in the router settings
    I changed my SSID to what I wanted and also changed my password

Its possible I expect to change the Zone to something different than Ireland as you have a choice in the router 5GHz settings but I not tested this as I have had no need to

I mean can I have two SSID's one for 2.4 and the other 5ghz so I can put some devices on one and other other devices on the other one.

I mean can I have two SSID's one for 2.4 and the other 5ghz so I can put some devices on one and other other devices on the other one.

Yes
    Its Dual Band

Example
    A Wireless Device is connected using 2.4
    Another Device is using 5GHz

You have 2 SSID's both in operation at the same time from Horizon
    2.4GHz
    5.0GHz

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

118mbits to a cheap Chromebook on the 5Ghz wifi - will see if its stable unlike the 2.4Ghz before turning off the secondary router...

Advertisement