Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should an English pub be opened in Dublin?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

old hippy wrote: »
    CW tends to draw the suited crowd to the likes of All Bar One, where they can charge outrageous prices for badly served beer and indifferent staff. Leicester Square prices are admittedly touristy but dive down a side street or wander about and you can find plenty of decent watering holes.

I do miss the King's Head in Soho's Chinatown, which shut its doors some 5 or 6 years ago. A great little place with cracking atmosphere.

Absolutely. I think my point was that whilst there are areas where pubs know that they can charge huge amounts, it's never particularly difficult in London to find a cheap pint. I find that that isn't really the case in Dublin, or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Yes, but only to piss off the plebs

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Belfast, Coleraine, Enniskillen, two in Derry. There might be a few others that I havent been in, but these are all great. Yes they're samey and you could argue in some sense soulless, but great beer, great prices and (varying between establishments) great food. Nice and big so there is usually no bother getting a seat and no blaring music or TVs. Big bar and lots of staff so no long queues. It may not have the charm of a little independent place but in all honesty it's hard to fault it.
    No it isn't.

Grand at lunch time but other than that they're full of all the scum of the day. The cheap booze and low (non existent) standards attracts a certain class of punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You get some characters in them on pension/social day, that's for sure. That's part of the charm though.

I always remember being in the Wetherspoons in Southend and some old smelly guy coming up to our table and swearing blind that he invented button-down shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Ah come on, that's like saying you hate meat because you had a mcdonalds burger a few times and it was manky.
    English country pubs are pretty much the same as Irish country pubs, but generally better kept, nicer beers and better food.
    To be fair I do spend most my time in either Birmingham or London but from what I've been told most pubs in the UK are owned by a larger group or brewery and use a landlord to manage the pub. I was in a pub in Chester on the way back from Birmingham a few weeks ago and I thought I'd found an independent pub but it turned out it was just owned by a smaller brewery, Samuel Smiths. Country pubs may not have the population to attract brewery's and the likes but there aren't all that many really small towns in the UK relatively speaking thanks to their much more rational zoning laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 safarigirl

I think there are some wonderful pubs in England and also some not so great, just like in Ireland. Its not fair for people to say our pubs are all rubbish.
    I have traveled all round the world and been to many Irish Pubs abroad which are usually more full of English people than Irish.!!! Why because we are very much alike in many ways, one speaking the same Lanuage.

A English Pub in Ireland? It might appeal to American Tourists??? Joke!!!

I am from England , I think i wouldnt go out my way to go to a English pub in Ireland just to make me feel at home, but if there was a chance I could go to one to make English friends in Ireland it would be great. What would make it English for me? Cheaper drinks, cola not in bottles so you get a whole pint for a pound! Free Darts and 50p for a game of pool! Play area outside for the children!
    The England Match on with everyone cheering for us!!!!

I know..... It will NEVER happen!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Another good thing about english pubs, they don't have those especially made to rip you off tiny bottles of coke. They usually have a dispenser gun thingie.

Advertisement