Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter Charts 2011/2012

• 23-09-2011 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

So folks i have found the first FI chart of the winter season!

Worryingly i've had to start this thread 12 days later than last years! :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056029276

Here's the first chart of the new season! Enjoy

With SSt's still very high its unlikely to get anything close to snow near the ground however its possible we might get some snow on mountain tops. The cold air will be moving quickly down from the north so shouldn't have much time to warm up. It's showing -4 temps all over northern ireland and -6 temps just off the north west coast.

interestingp.png

and another

More northerly this time. Cold chill in the air. Maybe some sleet and snow on mountain tops in the extreme north

interestingt.png

The main thing being this is the first day that i've never minus 850hPa temps in charts over Ireland since the spring.

The chances of anything like this coming off are less than 1/100 as the charts are this range change so often. Its called Fantasy Island for a reason!

AS this time of year at the very least you'd want -8 temps to have any chance of snow at lower levels.

In any case...IT BEGINS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thanks, a little explanation wouldn't go a miss to explain what the chart would bring. Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Just a note on sea temps. They seem to be about a degree lower this year compared to the same time last year. This come allow an earlier winter...

In fact off the south coast their 2 degrees lower!

Yesterday's temps

seatemps.gif

Last years temps

september2010.gif
    And where the temps need to get to this winter!

20110122.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

sweet , love this thread,. always interesting to watch ;) ta !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I was only sitting in work today thinking I would love this thread to come up again ! BRAVO !! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ITS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So what if that chart probably changes to a heatwave in tomorrows run... ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

now this is more like it!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The northeastern Atlantic has been colder than normal for much of the summer, and after a brief recovery, it's cooling down again to our southwest. However, to our north and east - the best source of our cold - seas are well above normal at the moment.

sst_anom_loop.gif

Look at the actual temperatures. The 7 °C isotherm stretches from southern Greenland, past northern Iceland and on towards Svalbard, meaning there's a lot of warm sea between there and here. I think this thread's around a month too early, but I suppose why not another winter thread! :D

sst_loop.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

It begins :D

Leaves are starting to fall off the trees, changing the tyres on the vehicle shortly for proper winter tyres.

Looking forward to the winter and the fun that snow watch brings :) Great to see so many people following a thread and always such fun too with a nice bunch of people :)

Bring it on :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks, a little explanation wouldn't go a miss to explain what the chart would bring. Please.

To give a quick explanation of the 850hPa charts, basically theyre showing the temp of the air at the 850hPa height, roughly 1500m up in the atmosphere.

The chart itself is pretty self explanitory, theres a legend along the bottom showing the temperature, obviously blue = cold and yellow & red = warm. Typically during the winter we need temps somewhere around -5C before we can start thinking of snow on low ground and around -7C or -8C for some proper stuff

The charts are available here, just click 'precharger' on the left and run your mouse along the hours

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=1

For proper FI stuff, click 'Suite' at the bottom to show the long term prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

NIALL D wrote: »
    sweet , love this thread,. always interesting to watch ;) ta !

Totally agree!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

This morning it shows mild to warm weather upto the 10th of October :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    This morning it shows mild to warm weather upto the 10th of October :)

That sort of a run was never going to happen anyway. And neither is the one it's showing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Great to see this back. Lampost watchers unite!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Great to see this back. Lampost watchers unite!
    hah i didnt know other people watched lamposts to see if it was snowing til now, thought i was the only one ! spent most of december sitting on the couch by the window watching the lamposts for snow..im so sad:p oh well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Watching lamposts is the first sign of madness.
    I felt much better when I first started reading this forum and realised that I wasn't alone ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Watching lamposts is the first sign of madness.
    I felt much better when I first started reading this forum and realised that I wasn't alone ;-)

lol , tiz a fact !!!!!

I have saved this picture on my computer as "Grasping at straws"

This is the best one after going through every of the 20 GEFS Perturbations

graspingatstraws.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

That should really include front porch lights. I mean, we rural dwellers are fully entitled to watch them too if we like. Mine is very good and the angle is just right for "cornerofmyeye" watching. Of course even better if the car's parked right near it.

I have saved this picture on my computer as "Grasping at straws"

This is the best one after going through every of the 20 GEFS Perturbations

graspingatstraws.png

-2 degress at 3pm in mid october in dublin :O thatd be amazing :D sure it was only a bit colder during daytime in december 2010 daytime highs in dublin were only like -3. coule the above actually happen?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Not insulting your intelligence but there 1500 temps not 2m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

bb1234567 wrote: »
    -2 degress at 3pm in mid october in dublin :O thatd be amazing :D sure it was only a bit colder during daytime in december 2010 daytime highs in dublin were only like -3. coule the above actually happen?:)

that is at 850 level....which translates to 1500 meters....so that -3 temperature is actually forecast at 1500 meters :)

my bad:o im only 15 dont know much about weather sorry!:o
    anywho what temps would -2 at 1500m mean for a dublin suburb fairly far away from city centre like rathgar where my old house is ?

At this time of year it would be anywhere from 4 degrees to 8 degrees depending on cloud cover etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

anywho what temps would -2 at 1500m mean for a dublin suburb fairly far away from city centre like rathgar where my old house is ?

For a rough idea, if you add 10 degrees to the 1500m temps you will not be too far out. So -2 at 1500m should see temps in or around +8 at 2m.

im not actually 2m above sea level guys! im a lot more inland than dublin city centre nd im prob around 250m above sea level so what temp now then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

im not actually 2m above sea level guys! im a lot more inland than dublin city centre nd im prob around 250m above sea level so what temp now then?

About 1.5-2 degrees lower, so around 6 degrees or so. No chance of snow, except on mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

If pure willpower alone could cause snow I think it'd be like the snowpocalypse out their already! O how megatron loves the snow (and the f5 key, lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Hey bb - as a rule of thumb you'd want the -8 shade of blue over the country before you've any real chance of seeing some white stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Big smile on my face when i saw this thread back. Myself and my dad even chat about FI charts anytime I see him during winter... Gas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Lads where do ye get these graphs from?
    Is there any website that provides them freely where I could get them myself?
    Must admit I loved these threads last year.

Advertisement