Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SummerSlam [Warning: Contains Results]

• 16-08-2004 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

So, what are the overall impressions of this year's SummerSlam?

Overall I have to give it a big thumbs up. Obvious highlights were Angle vs Guerrero and Benoit vs Orton. HHH vs Eugene was fine, but I still hate Eugene! Taker vs JBL was good, though I would have prefered a tomb stone to end it on the limousine than a choke slam.

Orton is a great performer and a perfect heel, but now I fear that he may be on the road back to being the baby face he started as, which people did not like. He is at his best when he is an arrogant sob (look at what I have achieved so young...). Now I can imagine a story line where HHH gets jealous, demands that Orton lay down for him at his next title defence and refuses, etc, etc. Cue several vicious beating at the hands of Flair, Batista and HHH. Could be interesting to watch that unfold. Orton will have to find an alliance of course, and after shaking hands, Benoit is the obvious choice..... Experience and youth, Benoit keeping Orton's head on his shoulders....

Angle looked on top form and its great to see him back wrestling again. I loved his relentless ankle locking and the irony in the fact he removed the boot to further weaken the ankle.

Taker of course was never going to win the title. He is part-time now and could not be a full-time champ. Best for him to be dq'ed.

I loved it when the crowd booed Eugene. Eugene is the sickest joke ever in WWE. The crowd nearly turned in his favour with the Stone Cold double finger and stunner, but Flair put an end to that. You gotta love Flair!

The other matches were fine, though shortened to make way for the 4 main eventers. Dodgeball was actually more interesting than bra and panties stuff. There is a film on the way with Ben Stiller all about that sport.
    Edge must turn into a heel before the crowds turn on him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

The Benoit-Orton match was great. Clean win, no interference - if only they did that more often...........

Angle- Eddie was always gonna be good.

HHH-Eugene was a surprisingly good match I thought.

Taker-JBL was never gonna be great anyways......it was ok but the whole throwing him through the limo thing was a bit rubbish.

I can't believe they gave Orton the belt though. Wonder how long it will take him to feck off a la the Rock and Brock Lesnar.

All in all a great PPV though. Lets hope they continue the upward trend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I was very suprised Orton got a clean win, i thought he'd cheat and carry on as a heel , building up tension in the ranks of Evolution with HHH the same way Rock did with Faarooq when he became IC Champ in '97 , leading up to Orton dethrowning HHH. But HHH is never gonna make a convincing face 9 too much of a real life heel ) , so i guess they are just going with Randy as the hero. Far too soon in my view , he'll be washed out within a year.The novely of being the youngest champ ever soon wore off Lesnar and they did'nt know what to do with him except turn him heel again and have him tap to Angle. Plus if they are having him and HHH at WM next year , were in for a long, drawn out feud on Raw.

As for Benoit , where does he go from here ? We're supposed to be convinced this guy can make HHH and HBK tap then lose to a relative rookie a few monthes later ? Does'nt make sense.

As for JBL/UT , i was looking for to Heidenrich interfering , if only to see a new face, but now 'taker reckons that the only one good enough to face him is Angle so had the finish changed. That's Heidenrich and Mordacai who've been shelved just before facing him.How bad must they be ? even Kamala got on PPV against Undertaker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The thing is, maybe Kamala shouldn't have been on pay-per-view with Taker. As for Heindrich and Mordecai, does anyone really want to see these guys? Seriously, who misses Mordecai? I don't.
    I think a pay-per-view match between Angle and Taker could be awesome. They haven't met on pay-per-view in a singles match since (I think) Survivor Series 2000. Their television match around this time last year (that Lesnar interfered in) was fantastic. I look forward to the next match between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

That was my point, if 'taker in his prime was willing to wrestle Kamala , how bad are Heidenrich and Mordacai if he or WWE offical feel neither are ready to face him.

McMahon seemed to judge guys by their image/gimmick back in the days of Kamala , not wrestling talent. Nowadays they are a lot stricker with guys getting hurt by oafs like Jamal.

I just think UT vs. Mordacai or Heidenrich would be a bit more interesting than UT vs. Angle because they've never faced off before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

worst.....summerslam.....ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Washout

i rather very much agree....apart from the benoit V ortan....it was terrible...

notice how all the heels bar one won?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I really wonder why some of u even watch wrestling.

Why?? Give an example? It was far from the worst ever.
    apart from the benoit V ortan....it was terrible...

So Matt V Kane was bad? The 6 man tag at the start wasnt entertaining?
    Taker-JBL was never gonna be great anyways

It was a very good match, surprisingly.

I thought overall it was a good PPV. Iwas realy pissed off that Sky Sports cut during the Angle Eddie match scrambled for a few mins and only returning about 90 seconds before the finish. Took the momentum out of it.

Matt Vs Kane, despite the purile storyline, was a very solid match which was to and fro. Only prob is that it was too short.

HHH Vs Eugene. Im not Eugenes biggest fan, but it was a very good match with a bit of comedy thrown in.

6 man tag was excellent. Paul london is so under rated

Orton Vs Benoit was a classic, with a fantastic ending. I can only assume (and not having read spoilers) that Randy has turned face. Storylne? Why didnt u guys come out and celebrate with me?

7.75/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I thought it was a way above average pay-per-view. It was easily as good as last years Summerslam, and better than Summerslam 2001 (although I don't remember that one too well).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Overall i enjoyed summerslam, the 6-man was great, eddie/kurt was fantastic, eugene/hhh was strong, benoit/orton was really good too. The hardy/kane match was alright, certainly didn't make me want to fastforward through it. Ditto the undertaker/jbl match, it was about the best match you'd get out of those two. Thought the intercontinental three-way was good aswell, only complaint really is that the 6-man and the eddie/kurt matches should have been longer.

Just on the orton/rock/lesner thing someone mentioned above: it's highly unlikely that orton will do a runner any time soon, it was widely known that lesner never really had any love for wrestling. And in the rocks case it was pretty much a no brainer.... option 1: getting paid very well for having other guys throw you around a couple of hundred days a year, or option 2: get paid way, way more for appearing in a couple of movies. I know which one i'd pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I dunno about you guys but thoose dambass Canadians Ruined it for me. I was surprised cus at WMX-8 the crowd were so into but this buch of tards boed most of the faces and started a mexacan wave in the middle of a tital match

• Advertisement
Advertisement