Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Youtube videos not working on boards.ie

Options
  • 26-12-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Any idea how to fix this?
    I click on the video. The screen grab goes black as if it is about to start playing but then stops and doesnt play.

Thanks

Galaxy s2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Working fine for me. Also SGS2. Are you on WiFi? Your home network?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

On 3G or wifi with dongle it is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I have the exact same problem last few months galaxy note 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Out of my head.

You need to have the correct version of the Flash Player installed (not the latest and none from Adobe website)

Try downloading Skyfire browser If it makes any difference in playing youtube vids on boards.ie.

Will post more tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭corkie

Jarren wrote: »
    Out of my head.

You need to have the correct version of the Flash Player installed (not the latest and none from Adobe website)

Try downloading Skyfire browser If it makes any difference in playing youtube vids on boards.ie.

Will post more tomorrow

Whats wrong with downloading flash from this website?
    http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

I thought that would be the best place to get it!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

So did I, when I changed from GB to ICS all flash based vids stopped working.
    Installed the newest Adobe soft, still didn't work, tried all versions available, still no joy.
    Xda developers have a few links to the soft that will enable to play flash based vids.

Hope this helps

On the second thought

It didn't work for me but it may work for you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.flashplayer&hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

So i see no anwser here. Tbh rhis really is pissing me off flash is meant to be a major advantage with android

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

adamski8 wrote: »
    So i see no anwser here. Tbh rhis really is pissing me off flash is meant to be a major advantage with android
    It was until Adobe decided they couldn't be bothered any more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Nolimits wrote: »
    It was until Adobe decided they couldn't be bothered any more

That's a bit of a short sighted comment. It really comes down to Apples venomous attacks on Flash and the fact that they have used their market power to push developers to HTML 5 (from which they will earn allot of money). Google have also recently towed the line with Apple & will now concentrate on HTML 5.

Adobe realise that Flash for mobile is more or less a dying standard and has chosen not to waste millions of dollars developing the standard which will offers no future prospects...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Bluefoam wrote: »

That's a bit of a short sighted comment. It really comes down to Apples venomous attacks on Flash and the fact that they have used their market power to push developers to HTML 5 (from which they will earn allot of money). Google have also recently towed the line with Apple & will now concentrate on HTML 5.

I don't see how Apple are going to earn money from html5. I was surprised when Steve Jobs announced flash would not be supported by Apple, but in hindsight it really got everyone behind html5 and it's likely it was for the best.

To the op: I've had no problems on my phone and browser (HTC one X/ICS Browser+) but I have noticed that my phone was automatically using YouTube in html5 mode. Go to YouTube.com/html5 and join the html5 trial (if you aren't). That will take any flash issues out of the equation. Otherwise try another browser.

Rascasse wrote: »
    I don't see how Apple are going to earn money from html5. I was surprised when Steve Jobs announced flash would not be supported by Apple, but in hindsight it really got everyone behind html5 and it's likely it was for the best.

To the op: I've had no problems on my phone and browser (HTC one X/ICS Browser+) but I have noticed that my phone was automatically using YouTube in html5 mode. Go to YouTube.com/html5 and join the html5 trial (if you aren't). That will take any flash issues out of the equation. Otherwise try another browser.

Apple own a number of key patents pertaining to codecs for HTML5. Even though it is an open standard, the codecs are not. Apple seem to have the patent end of things sown up and it will be very difficult for application developers and high end content providers to avoid giving money to Apple to produce content that was simple to produce for the Flash ecosystem.

These costs will find their way to you (the consumer) in terms of added cost in hardware, software and content purchases...

#simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Bluefoam wrote: »

Apple own a number of key patents pertaining to codecs for HTML5. Even though it is an open standard, the codecs are not. Apple seem to have the patent end of things sown up and it will be very difficult for application developers and high end content providers to avoid giving money to Apple to produce content that was simple to produce for the Flash ecosystem.

These costs will find their way to you (the consumer) in terms of added cost in hardware, software and content purchases...

#simples

Well there are 3 video formats in html5, of which two are entirely open and free to use. H264 is patented (as is flash) but free to use. So the point is moot.

Rascasse wrote: »
    Well there are 3 video formats in html5, of which two are entirely open and free to use. H264 is patented (as is flash) but free to use. So the point is moot.

The content is free to use. But to bundle the codec and to use developer tools it is not. Your point is mooter

Advertisement