Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are peavey classic 30's any good

• 26-08-2006 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

As a former disillusioned fender hot rod deluxe owner i am leaning to the afore-mentioned after hearing clips on the web. I'm basically looking for a portable tube combo...ney stack...too heavy and cumbersome....a combo that can sit well in a mix of a loud blues band. The hot rod deluxe was ****e on it's own but with a pod in the power amp in it sang. Well i paid for the pre amp tubes so i want to use them but they always sounded ...mmmmm...how can i put it....sterile?...lifeless ??....ah well i'm waffling ...inputs please ??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I had a classic 50. Loved it. It wont do hard rock but for blues/clean/classic rock it's a fantastic amp. The 50w was too much for me. I'll prob look at picking up a 30w if I ever get back into the electric guitar properly again. I'd recommend picking up a Maxon OD808 from thomann if you do go for the classic. That brought out something special from my classic 50. Really worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

No just for blues and classic rock really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'd say they're right up your alley Mc Ginty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

ENGL Thunder 50, very nice rock tone, doesn't get too heavy and has a nice clean channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Classic 30 in the buy and sell for 300squids. I lean towards higher gain amps, but thats very little money for a decent amp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Classic 30 in the buy and sell for 300squids. I lean towards higher gain amps, but thats very little money for a decent amp.
    i hope that goes to a good home tbh. such great amps, like Gstorm i've got it's big brother the classic 50, and it just sings.

I've heard mixed reports about the C30.A problem seems to be that it is quite noisy and is prone to tube rattle? Have any of you had any issues being heard in a loud band with these???
    Hmmm regarding the ENGL 50. I have been researching these also but it seems a lot of metal bands use them. I wouldn't be playing that type of music at all so the amp might be just a waste?....dunno. I like to keep things simple just straight to the amp and i'm looking for good tone.

It's not really a Metal amp unless you use the second overdrive channel with the gain up full, and that's not that distorted. The ENGL Thunder 50 is the simplest amp you'll ever use.

ok just checked thomann ....thunder w/o reverb is 759 with reverb 875 (that's a costly reverb tank if that's the only difference between these two combos) .The screamer is 999. Oh decisions decisions. Have to have reverb. Screamer might be the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Go with ENGL, its the most versative amp i've ever played (thunder 50 owner)

• Advertisement

I didn't need the reverb one and the non-reverb one has more volume controls for the od channels.

mmm looks like this has turned into a ENGL thread...ah well. My final question is .........Can the screamer do blues?

It sure can! Using the crunch channel with the gain below half, and you also have to spring for a footswitch :>

cool...well thanks for all the info lads...will let yiz know how i get on...just have to get rid of the fender first...

i've had a few cans,,,got the ould plastic friend out and between us we've ordered a micro cube and a screamer for 1100...i'm gonna be divorced!
    Seriously can't wait to start recording with these puppies....ther'es just that someting missing from modellers...as in the POD??? i need a speaker reacting with air again...will let yiz know how i get on...BTW anyone out there lookin for a half decent guitarist for an originals band ??...drogheda area...

Famous last words, anyone?

Here stands a brave, brave man, gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

fish-head wrote:
    Famous last words, anyone?

Here stands a brave, brave man, gentleman.

Brave in what sense? Engl rock! Just look at the devout followers here on boards. I'd call it a safe bet. ;)

Brave in the sense that his wife is going to knock his bollocks out of his nostrils!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

ENGL? bah! :p
    ...the matamp 1224 mkII is where it's at!! :D

fish-head wrote:
    Brave in the sense that his wife is going to knock his bollocks out of his nostrils!

Oh that kind of brave. :D

• Advertisement

fish-head wrote:

that's happened already

that's happened already

Well, for an Engl, let's hope the bollicking's worth it. ;)

punchdrunk wrote:
    ENGL? bah! :p
    ...the matamp 1224 mkII is where it's at!! :D
    Agree wholeheartedly - have you got one?

why yes i do! got it in limerick a few weeks ago,best amp i've had my dirty mits on...happy days!

Ah yes the red/wine one, with yer mans name engraved. nice amp. did you get the 2x12 off paul too?

yeah i got the whole lot!
    wish it was a blonde one though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Green Matamp for the win

McGinty my last amp was a Screamer. Great amp but I'd really recommend getting the z5 footswitch to go with it. Footswitches for all the amp channels Clean, Crunch, Gain, Hi Gain, Reverb and HI/LO VLS switching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Why did you sell the screamer after?

• Advertisement

To fund a new acoustic. I'm kinda done with electric guitar for the moment. Been playing a lot more acoustic lately. Still have an ibanez though which I play through my acoustic amp. I'm gonna pick up a distortion pedal and that should have me sorted until I start playing the electric again

Advertisement